Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It reflects two things.

The current economic climate like you said.

Plus the fact that the Limericks middle classes do not shop in the city centre. The only discount stores in the city and suburbs are all in the city centre (bar two, in Parkway and Roxboro) There are none in the Crescent Shopping Centres (or vacant units for that matter)

If people want a vibrant city centre they need to get back into it.

It's all down to management as well. The Crescent is very well run. The city centre is badly run. There should rules and regulations when opening a store including the how it is presented. William Street is full of rubbish shops with cheap shop fronts. While Limerick's middle class mightn't shop in the city centre, you have to point out that plenty of working class still shop in the Crescent as well.

P.S. There's a pound shop as you walk in the door of the Crescent SC next to EBS. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's all down to management as well. The Crescent is very well run. The city centre is badly run. There should rules and regulations when opening a store including the how it is presented. William Street is full of rubbish shops with cheap shop fronts. While Limerick's middle class mightn't shop in the city centre, you have to point out that plenty of working class still shop in the Crescent as well.

P.S. There's a pound shop as you walk in the door of the Crescent SC next to EBS. ;)[/QUOTE]

Is there??...I never spotted it...jesus my argument is blowing up in my face!!! you are spot on tho, the difference is management, good management, good footfall, better shops more choice etc.

The shop fronts in the city centre are shockingly poor, some of them on O'Connell St are just plain manky, something a simple by law could change...

You could be onto something, put the management of the City Centre into the hands of a proper management company...who knows instead of naming bridges after a dead american president and building ridiculous walkways across the Shannon the city fathers could just take a leaf out of the CSCs book.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

William Street is full of rubbish shops with cheap shop fronts. While Limerick's middle class mightn't shop in the city centre, you have to point out that plenty of working class still shop in the Crescent as well.

wha? how about Debenhams and Brown Thomas ?

fryup wrote: »
    wha? how about Debenhams and Brown Thomas ?

I'm only quoting what silentcorner originally said. He's not wrong though. The city centre attracts more working class/non working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I work in the city centre, and to say that it's just working class people shopping there is utter crap. Every day I see every type of class. I'm sure some of you would be amazed to hear that these "middle class" people, make up a huge percentage of the customers in discount stores. They love a bargain as much as the next person. The reason these stores keep popping up is because there is a demand for them. If there wasn't, they wouldn't exisit.

Some of the comments on this thread are coming across as very snobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I work in the city centre, and to say that it's just working class people shopping there is utter crap. Every day I see every type of class. I'm sure some of you would be amazed to hear that these "middle class" people, make up a huge percentage of the customers in discount stores. They love a bargain as much as the next person. The reason these stores keep popping up is because there is a demand for them. If there wasn't, they wouldn't exisit.

Some of the comments on this thread are coming across as very snobby.

Ya, my fault and believe it or not completely unintended, the difference in the quality of stores between the City Centre and CSC cannot be denied whatever the reason. I frequent the city centre as often as possible, I much prefer spending time there than in the CSC, my original point, albeit one I have completely failed to make is that not enough people in suburban Limerick spend enough time in the City Centre. That is all, I'm bowing out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Wasn't there some news recently of a pilot project in the city by Retail Excellence Ireland, bringing shopping centre style management to the city centre? I'm in two minds about quality of the shops argument. Undoubtedly there are lots of poor quality shop fronts but tbh that's a problem to be found all over the country.
    I also think the fact that the city centre has a reputation for below par shops allows people to tar the whole city with the one brush. Sure, William St. is full of poundshops but the quality of the shop fronts and buildings on the street is actually quite high. Equally, Thomas St., Little Catherine St., Bedford Row, Lower O'Connell St, Lower Henry St., Lower Catherine St., all have percentage of lower quality shopfronts but the overall standard is quite high. I will concede the section of Sarsfield St. between O'Connell St. and Henry St. is quite ugly though.

New Thai restaurant, Aroi, opening Tuesday at 1 O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Another Thai restaurant.... Lovely :)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Is that the Peckish premises?

• Advertisement

That's the one!

Will it be proper Thai or just the current restaurant re-branded?
    The original concept for the place was good but it was poorly implemented. Ate there a couple of times and the portions weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Will it be proper Thai or just the current restaurant re-branded?
    The original concept for the place was good but it was poorly implemented. Ate there a couple of times and the portions weren't great.

The sign on the door doesn't say Thai but does say Street Food - so I'm guessing it's Thai Street Food. The last place wasn't bad although they never seemed to cope that well when it was busy. Limerick is dire when it comes to casual lunch options, disappointed we are losing another one.

letsdothis wrote: »
    The sign on the door doesn't say Thai but does say Street Food - so I'm guessing it's Thai Street Food. The last place wasn't bad although they never seemed to cope that well when it was busy. Limerick is dire when it comes to casual lunch options, disappointed we are losing another one.

Badly lacking for alternatives to sandwiches/rolls in the €5/€6 category.

Plenty of options for €10 lunch meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Badly lacking for alternatives to sandwiches/rolls in the €5/€6 category.

Plenty of options for €10 lunch meals.

Exactly. Can't understand why there isn't one decent option in the former category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

New business in the Parkway Shopping Centre. Electric Beach.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Electric-Beach-Tanning-and-Nails/1445144299051615

Badass Burritos is relocating to Cruises Street soon.

Badass Burritos is relocating to Cruises Street soon.

That should be a good move for them.
    Was working in the city earlier and had a look at the menu in Street food. It's another €10 meal place. Looks like a more limited version of the Kaya menu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Limerickguy1

Drove past the building hook and ladder are going into today, works seem to be in full flow! According to their Facebook page opening date 'is only a matter if weeks away'

From what I've heard from Waterford we are in for a treat when it opens it's doors!

Drove past the building hook and ladder are going into today, works seem to be in full flow! According to their Facebook page opening date 'is only a matter if weeks away'

From what I've heard from Waterford we are in for a treat when it opens it's doors!

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sounds very interesting...tell us more :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Limerickguy1

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Sounds very interesting...tell us more :pac:

From what I've heard the May bank holiday is being earmarked for the opening

Cookery school to be included in this one too, other than that just know that there has been massive effort out into it and have been told it will be something Limerick hasn't seen before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thanks for the info Hook and Ladder lol
    I walked past the other day and you can't see into it so don't know how you you did it driving
    Maybe set up a Hook and Ladder account

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

According to their Facebook page opening date 'is only a matter if weeks away' QUOTE]

They're saying this since before Christmas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

where is hook and ladder going to be?

Sarsfield Street where Benetton used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Alot of work going on in where one potato-two potato used to be

Alot of work going on in where one potato-two potato used to be

Please don't be a rubbish food joint! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Please don't be a rubbish food joint! :rolleyes:

Or a pound shop!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Went looking for peckish today, but it was now a Thai place. :( Place seems to change an awful lot. Anyone know what happened?

Advertisement