Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There's a nice little Italian food shop open in Foxe's Bow now. Got some nice spinach pasta in there on their opening day and a free sample of Tirimasu also :)
    The Stormy Teacup seems to be up and running, I'll have to check it out. I went in there a couple of weeks ago but the guy in there said that the coffee shop part wasn't open yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Gasta. It's a healthy eating restaurant.

The irony of it. I wonder how many heart attacks have been directly attributable to the various eateries that were in that building over the years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

new ice cream cafe opening/opened upper william street just up from Dealz. Looks fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Gino's homemade Italian Gelato who serve ice-cream have it on their website that they're coming to Limerick. They're already based on Grafton St. in Dublin, Galway etc.

I was in Whitewater shopping centre in Newbridge recently and couldn't understand why a town much smaller than Limerick city has stores like Marks & Spencers , Pull and Bear, Bershka, Starbucks, Golden Discs, Newlook menswear etc but they don't exist anywhere in Lim or how somewhere like Galway has a Topman. What are the determining factors for stores when deciding where to have a presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Gino's homemade Italian Gelato who serve ice-cream have it on their website that they're coming to Limerick. They're already based on Grafton St. in Dublin, Galway etc.

I was in Whitewater shopping centre in Newbridge recently and couldn't understand why a town much smaller than Limerick city has stores like Marks & Spencers , Pull and Bear, Bershka, Starbucks, Golden Discs, Newlook menswear etc but they don't exist anywhere in Lim or how somewhere like Galway has a Topman. What are the determining factors for stores when deciding where to have a presence.

I have been told that one of the major factors is sentiment. If the auctioneer in Dublin (which is normally where first contact is made) advises against opening in Limerick it is not questioned. The fact that rates were higher on O'Connell St than most other main streets didn't help either, footfall is not as big an issue as people think, if it were nobody would move into new shopping centre's....it was more of a case that the footfall v's rates were way out of kilter.

The city was always a major shopping destination for decades for the Clare/North Tipp/North Cork/North Kerry areas, but between the greed of Limerick County Council and the damage that was done to Limericks reputation (sorry to have to mention that again but it is a legacy issue) the city centre stopped attracting major retailers...which feeds into the state the main shopping area finds itself in today, that being said that sentiment is reversing, partly because there is now an understanding as to what has been holding the city centre back and we should expect to see some new retailers in the city centre over the coming years.

Also, opening a shopping development in the North is a different proposition to opening one in the south. It is more, business friendly shall we say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

About time we got an Ice-cream store, we're just so far behind the times in Ireland, it's embarrassing sometimes, especially when you're entertaining people from different countries.. And the high street stores need to up thier game down here too, we have to travel to Dublin just to go to Bershka ect..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Seamus B wrote: »
    About time we got an Ice-cream store, we're just so far behind the times in Ireland, it's embarrassing sometimes, especially when you're entertaining people from different countries.. And the high street stores need to up thier game down here too, we have to travel to Dublin just to go to Bershka ect..

There's actually one opened up on William Street I've passed it and it looks nice but I haven't got a chance to go in yet.
    I can't wait for Gino's to open up as well as I love their ice creams I always get some when I'm in Galway or Dublin. Anyone know where they are opening?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There's actually one opened up on William Street I've passed it and it looks nice but I haven't got a chance to go in yet.
    I can't wait for Gino's to open up as well as I love their ice creams I always get some when I'm in Galway or Dublin. Anyone know where they are opening?

Mrs. FG is about to gain about 3 stone...

Seamus B wrote: »

There's a Bershka down in Cork also Topman, GAP, Next, Fat Face, Newlook men etc all in the city centre. When it comes to eating they have a Nandos, Captain Americas, Ginzeng, Wagamama, Butlers choclate cafe (also Galway, Dublin) etc.
    Is Jack and Jones now gone from Limerick, was never really a fan but would still be handy to have one in the city centre in the unit maybe where the old HMV was on the corner of Cruises street/O' Connell street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I have been told that one of the major factors is sentiment. If the auctioneer in Dublin (which is normally where first contact is made) advises against opening in Limerick it is not questioned. The fact that rates were higher on O'Connell St than most other main streets didn't help either, footfall is not as big an issue as people think, if it were nobody would move into new shopping centre's....it was more of a case that the footfall v's rates were way out of kilter.

Ya the large Dublin auctioneers views and idea of Limerick are really damaging the city. I remember I was in contact with a few large bramds head offices a while back among them Pull and Bear and was told by a number of them they had no plans to open up in Limerick as they had been advised against it. So something really has to be done about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ya the large Dublin auctioneers views and idea of Limerick are really damaging the city. I remember I was in contact with a few large bramds head offices a while back among them Pull and Bear and was told by a number of them they had no plans to open up in Limerick as they had been advised against it. So something really has to be done about this.

Not surprising, tourists/students/FDIs all experience the same sentiment, until we realise what we are up against we haven't a chance of defeating it...it is very hard to attract people to Stab City/Murder Capital of Europe...no city deserves a nickname like the one we have had to put up with...it actually is a very poor reflection on Irish media and Irish people who buy into it.

I know I mention it regularly but our nation's media (which is largely based in Dublin) decide the narrative, this creates the sentiment...all those retailers would have brought jobs...so too would have the tourists, the FDIs...

The following article was published recently

http://www.theguardian.com/tourism-ireland/2014/jun/11/find-special-events-in-limerick-this-summer

Imagine an Irish media outlet printing something like that....it just wouldn't happen, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the UK media have treated this city completely differently to the Dublin based media....there is something very wrong about that.

There are people working hard to try and reverse the sentiment, but it requires Limerick people trying extra hard to help that transition...there are other issues that need to be addressed but if word on the street is to be believed there should be a number of new additions to the city in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

Anyone know where they are opening?

Apparently where Foxy's/Bitter End used to be on Bedford Row. They have split the unit into 2 units and talks about a coffee shop going into the other part which is closest to the barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Not surprising, tourists/students/FDIs all experience the same sentiment, until we realise what we are up against we haven't a chance of defeating it...it is very hard to attract people to Stab City/Murder Capital of Europe...no city deserves a nickname like the one we have had to put up with...it actually is a very poor reflection on Irish media and Irish people who buy into it.

I know I mention it regularly but our nation's media (which is largely based in Dublin) decide the narrative, this creates the sentiment...all those retailers would have brought jobs...so too would have the tourists, the FDIs...

http://www.theguardian.com/tourism-ireland/2014/jun/11/find-special-events-in-limerick-this-summer

Imagine an Irish media outlet printing something like that....it just wouldn't happen, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the UK media have treated this city completely differently to the Dublin based media....there is something very wrong about that.

There are people working hard to try and reverse the sentiment, but it requires Limerick people trying extra hard to help that transition...there are other issues that need to be addressed but if word on the street is to be believed there should be a number of new additions to the city in the coming months.

You're absolutely right, fair play to the guardian for posting such an article too.

It really reflects poorly on the likes of RTE/Irish Times/Independent who should be the ones publishing such articles.

The only mention of the City of Culture in the national media was in January over the Chairperson debacle.

Since then, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is there anywhere I can buy a Levis or Lee denim shirt in Limerick? From what I can see, no. Any new shops I might have missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can buy a Levis or Lee denim shirt in Limerick? From what I can see, no. Any new shops I might have missed?

Downstairs in Debenhams I'd say. Seems like the kind of place that would do Denim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Shaws do Lee and seems like the kind of place that's stuck in the time warp you require:pac:;)

In all seriousness its surprising you cant get a Levi's one in BT or Connollys

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seems like the kind of place that's stuck in the time warp you require:pac:;)

Glad somebody else said it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Try the levis store in arthurs quay?
    Just need a time machine and some punts

Debenhams and Shaws have denim shirts alright, but they're fairly conservative looking ones, as are most of their clothes.
    BTs in Limerick seem to just cater for the executive/horse racing/preppy WASP american jock type.

Shaws do Lee and seems like the kind of place that's stuck in the time warp you require:pac:;)

In all seriousness its surprising you cant get a Levi's one in BT or Connollys

Connollys used to have some cool looking western style shirts by Lee etc, when they had the basement section years ago, but for some reason seem to only go for gstar, hilfiger type stuff now. You find the odd good thing there.
    Limerick is in bad need of another mens clothes shop with some alternative styles by well known brands.
    I can't find any dickies or carharrt in Limerick for example?

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Try the levis store in arthurs quay?
    Just need a time machine and some punts[/QUOTE

Yeah there used to be a Levis shop in Arthurs Quay upstairs and at the same time there was a GAP shop across the way on Patrick street in that nice building Ormston house, there used to be a NEXT on Cruises street too...city centre was pretty good back then.

Connollys used to have some cool looking western style shirts by Lee etc, when they had the basement section years ago, but for some reason seem to only go for gstar, hilfiger type stuff now. You find the odd good thing there.
    Limerick is in bad need of another mens clothes shop with some alternative styles by well known brands.

Another thing with the shops in Limerick is that a lot of them don't cater for men compared to the other cities..H&M have no men's section in Lim, Newlook on Cruises street are the same. I was on to Newlook about it and they said that some of their stores are larger than others, there is a limit on the stock that can be held in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Try TKMaxx lads, they often have brands like these. I'm almost certain I've seen Carharrt there.

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Try TKMaxx lads, they often have brands like these. I'm almost certain I've seen Carharrt there.

Remix used to do Carharrt...not sure if they do anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Remix used to do Carharrt...not sure if they do anymore though.

Remix moved away from Carharrt, Quiksilver, Ripcurl, etc. a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's not just the large commercial estate agents either. I moved to Dublin in 2008 for my college work placement stint and on the very first day of induction this preppy, D4 head from the hr department was briefing us and made some incredibly inappropriate comments about Limerick. He termed it "an appalling, dangerous place that was best avoided!" I couldn't believe my ears. This guy was supposedly a professional. I took him to task on it and he seemed genuinely shocked that anyone would question his portrayal of the city. So much so that he become seriously uncomfortable and flustered and ended up apologising. It still irritates me thinking back on it!

Incidentally I also remember an incident whereby an employee of a tourist office in Dublin specifically advised a large party of American tourists to avoid Limerick at all costs as it was rough!:eek:

In fairness though I went on to find out that this indeed was the most common perception that Dubliners had regarding Limerick. Although I'll qualify that by clarifying that was amongst those who had never been to Limerick. They swallowed all the ignorant, lazy stereotypes and cliches trotted out by the media etc. Incidentally those you had visited the city were pleasantly surprised and greatly enjoyed their visit. So yes we are up against a wall of ignorance in many ways but I feel the perception of the city is changing.

There have been some positive developments in recent years. One area that is undeniably a concern though is the continued lack of investment in the retail sector. Sure we have seen many decent additions in terms of cafes and restaurants but a city can't survive or thrive on them alone. We badly badly need an injection of quality, recognisable high street brands. The offering in this regard at the moment is pitiful. I know we need some new accommodation with large floor plates but at the same time there are premises such as the former Sony centre, empire music, Fergusons chemist that are of a decent size and yet have lain empty for years. It really begs the question have the local estate agents, Limerick chamber of commerce and the former Limerick co-ordination office, now the Limerick marketing company been doing enough to promote and sell the city as an attractive opportunity for retailers and brands not currently represented here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Speaking of foreign media coverage, check out this write up from travel blogger Adventurous Kate: http://www.adventurouskate.com/introducing-limerick-irelands-city-of-culture/

Go on...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just seen that Viagogo are to open an operations center in Limerick. They've already started recruiting for what they say will be hundreds of jobs. Great news for the city. http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/46603-viagogo-to-open-limerick/

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Just seen that Viagogo are to open an operations center in Limerick. They've already started recruiting for what they say will be hundreds of jobs. Great news for the city. http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/46603-viagogo-to-open-limerick/

Saw that on the Journal site as well. Anyone any idea where their "temporary" office in the city is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what? and no sign of Noonan down taking credit?

Advertisement