Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Saw that on the Journal site as well. Anyone any idea where their "temporary" office in the city is?

The temporary offices are in 98 Henry street. On the 3rd floor.

Where the anglo Irish bank used to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Leader are saying that it's going into the old Flextronics factory in Plassey

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

The Leader are saying that it's going into the old Flextronics factory in Plassey

Thats correct. The temporary offices are in Henry St. Its been there about 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

mossym wrote: »
    what? and no sign of Noonan down taking credit?

Give him time, although after his previous cock up with the Paypal jobs that never happened, he seems to have quietened down on that sort of thing,.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Vanquished wrote: »
    It's not just the large commercial estate agents either. I moved to Dublin in 2008 for my college work placement stint and on the very first day of induction this preppy, D4 head from the hr department was briefing us and made some incredibly inappropriate comments about Limerick. He termed it "an appalling, dangerous place that was best avoided!" I couldn't believe my ears. This guy was supposedly a professional. I took him to task on it and he seemed genuinely shocked that anyone would question his portrayal of the city. So much so that he become seriously uncomfortable and flustered and ended up apologising. It still irritates me thinking back on it!

Incidentally I also remember an incident whereby an employee of a tourist office in Dublin specifically advised a large party of American tourists to avoid Limerick at all costs as it was rough!:eek:

In fairness though I went on to find out that this indeed was the most common perception that Dubliners had regarding Limerick. Although I'll qualify that by clarifying that was amongst those who had never been to Limerick. They swallowed all the ignorant, lazy stereotypes and cliches trotted out by the media etc. Incidentally those you had visited the city were pleasantly surprised and greatly enjoyed their visit. So yes we are up against a wall of ignorance in many ways but I feel the perception of the city is changing.

There have been some positive developments in recent years. One area that is undeniably a concern though is the continued lack of investment in the retail sector. Sure we have seen many decent additions in terms of cafes and restaurants but a city can't survive or thrive on them alone. We badly badly need an injection of quality, recognisable high street brands. The offering in this regard at the moment is pitiful. I know we need some new accommodation with large floor plates but at the same time there are premises such as the former Sony centre, empire music, Fergusons chemist that are of a decent size and yet have lain empty for years. It really begs the question have the local estate agents, Limerick chamber of commerce and the former Limerick co-ordination office, now the Limerick marketing company been doing enough to promote and sell the city as an attractive opportunity for retailers and brands not currently represented here?!

That's what the country thinks, not just Dubliners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Great news about Viagogo, would be nice if they stayed in the city centre and gave the place a bit more of a buzz but I guess for they 100's the are looking to employ in customer services, the outskirts would be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's what the country thinks, not just Dubliners.

Quite possibly but on this occasion we were specifically referring to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is it going to be a call centre?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Quite possibly but on this occasion we were specifically referring to Dublin.

There's plenty of threads on this site alone from Limerick people giving out about the perceived roughness of Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

mossym wrote: »
    what? and no sign of Noonan down taking credit?

Well at least there are some jobs coming in, unlike all the years O Dea was there and only places closing down.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of threads on this site alone from Limerick people giving out about the perceived roughness of Limerick.

What's your point?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

What's your point?!

I think it's quite clear what the point is.

It's not just Dublin people that have a negative view of Limerick, it's all over the country, and even quite a few Limerick residents have a negative view of the place.

The Dagda wrote: »

It's not just Dublin people that have a negative view of Limerick, it's all over the country, and even quite a few Limerick residents have a negative view of the place.

So all the "negative" posts are bullsh*t then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The Dagda wrote: »

Can someone please explain to me why every-single time something good happens with regard to Limerick, someone comes in and brings up the city has scumbags in it?!

Jealousy is a very powerful thing online

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me why every-single time something good happens with regard to Limerick, someone comes in and brings up the city has scumbags in it?!

Jealousy is a very powerful thing online

The city does have scumbags in it, while there a lot of good things happening, there are also scumbags here. Fact. Carry on.

seachto7 wrote: »
    So all the "negative" posts are bullsh*t then?

I don't know why you directed that at me? I was only explaining the other poster's point of view, as I understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

seachto7 wrote: »
    The city does have scumbags in it, while there a lot of good things happening, there are also scumbags here. Fact. Carry on.

I know it does
    But it gets brought up any time there's good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I know it does
    But it gets brought up any time there's good news!

It is no accident, this it the facet of the city that has gotten the most coverage..so it becomes the default theme...note that there has not been a single reference to the fact that while the most serious crime has been plummeting in the city over the last 5 years it has been rising dramatically elsewhere.

City of Culture has been the most exciting thing to ever happen in this city but it has only been sniped at on here.

This forum, for me is actually the most depressing part of the city...thankfully the real world is a much more pleasant place...

What's your point?!

Your point was that Dubliners had a perception of Limerick as rough when it's not just Dubliners but the country as a whole including Limerick who have this perception.

Why signal out Dubliners?

I suppose I should be just happy you didn't include the "Dublin Media" too......

There was a specific point made in relation to the attitude that exists amongst certain elements in Dublin when it comes to all things Limerick. I decided to expand on this by sharing some of my personal experiences.

Some posters then used this as an opportunity to once again remind us all of the negativity that is associated with the city even from some of its residents. It just becomes incredibly irritating that some people will never waste an opportunity to run the place down!

Nobody is for one minute suggesting that the city doesn't have problems and indeed major problems in some instances. Anyone who believes otherwise is entirely deluded! But there is a time and a place to air these grievances and it's certainly not in a thread(s) that specifically seek to highlight positive developments in Limerick. Doing so just leads one to the conclusion that those individuals have an agenda or an axe to grind!

• Advertisement

Your point was that Dubliners had a perception of Limerick as rough when it's not just Dubliners but the country as a whole including Limerick who have this perception.

Why signal out Dubliners?

I suppose I should be just happy you didn't include the "Dublin Media" too......

Because we were specifically speaking about Dublin in that instance!

Is that really so difficult for you to understand?! Are you actually offended by me highlighting the ignorance of many Dubliners perceptions regarding Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There was a specific point made in relation to the attitude that exists amongst certain elements in Dublin when it comes to all things Limerick. I decided to expand on this by sharing some of my personal experiences.

Some posters then used this as an opportunity to once again remind us all of the negativity that is associated with the city even from some of its residents. It just becomes incredibly irritating that some people will never waste an opportunity to run the place down!

Nobody is for one minute suggesting that the city doesn't have problems and indeed major problems in some instances. Anyone who believes otherwise is entirely deluded! But there is a time and a place to air these grievances and it's certainly not in a thread(s) that specifically seek to highlight positive developments in Limerick. Doing so just leads one to the conclusion that those individuals have an agenda or an axe to grind!

The same has happened me, twice, a large meeting and having to sit through it is not easy...not to mention the literally hundreds of times I have had to put up with on an individual basis, it only lasts a few minutes but it is not nice...this perception is more often than expressed by people who have never set foot in the city...the ONLY way that perception could have been created is through the media (what other way is there? is there a network of phone callers positioned around the country spreading s**t that I am unaware of?)....that media is based in Dublin...I'm an not having a hop of Dublin people, they can't help it, in fact the Northside of that city has been stigmatized also, altho not to the same degree...(does that now mean I have two chips on my shoulder?)...

Because we were specifically speaking about Dublin in that instance!

Is that really so difficult for you to understand?! Are you actually offended by me highlighting the ignorance of many Dubliners perceptions regarding Limerick?

Jesus! Ok we get it you made a point about Dublin.
    Other people made points too, that's how Boards works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Anyone have any idea one the actual number of jobs being created by Viagogo? The reports I've seen just say ''hundreds''.

This is the ''Limerick businesses opening'' thread by the way, I don't see the relevance of the country's perception of Limerick to the thread.

Can we just get back to the topic at hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

1huge1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea one the actual number of jobs being created by Viagogo? The reports I've seen just say ''hundreds''.

This is the ''Limerick businesses opening'' thread by the way, I don't see the relevance of the country's perception of Limerick to the thread.

Can we just get back to the topic at hand...

According to their website they have 1 position in Ireland
    http://www.viagogo.ie/Careers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

City of Culture has been the most exciting thing to ever happen in this city but it has only been sniped at on here.

Christ if the City of Culture is exciting then I'm dreading next year! It's being sniped at because it is, to put it mildly, ****e. It's chock full of elitist events for those who want to see and be seen. There are very few events for the regular person who wants to get out and see a few bands and have a few beers. Very little trad on either. Move on now, nothing cultural to see here!

squonk wrote: »
    Christ if the City of Culture is exciting then I'm dreading next year! It's being sniped at because it is, to put it mildly, ****e. It's chock full of elitist events for those who want to see and be seen. There are very few events for the regular person who wants to get out and see a few bands and have a few beers. Very little trad on either. Move on now, nothing cultural to see here!

Totally off thread topic, but define "regular person". There's a lot on in town, attended on the whole by "regular people".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No city likes getting a bad reputation. Dublin at the moment is experiencing a shocking rate of crime. The national press would have a field day if it was happening in Limerick, they won't & don't want to try and damage the capital however...even at the expense of selling a few extra rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

squonk wrote: »

Elitist events? There are a number of gigs and live bands playing most nights of the week in venues around the city every single year. Not just during this city of culture year. The idea of a city of culture is to highlight some of the vibrant, exciting talents that are in the city. What would you define as an elitist event? Sounds like chip on the shoulder nonsense. Perhaps you should try going to an event out of your 'comfort zone' and embrace the exposure of these types of arts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod post: Folks, lets try to get this thread back on topic.

Advertisement