Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not sure if already mentioned but Ecco is opening on Thomas Street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Confirmation in the Leader that CompuB is moving to the sony center and that Ecco are moving into Thomas St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

There is work going on today in the old Vodafone shop at the top of Cruises St, a bench saw is set up inside and at least one of the windows has been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Confirmation in the Leader that CompuB is moving to the sony center and that Ecco are moving into Thomas St.

Good news, always thought it was a bit pokey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Galway Bay Brewery are opening a new Craft beer pub in Limerick soon. They announced it on their Facebook page last night. It's a complete rumour but I've heard they may be taking over the Crafty Fox (allegedly). CF hasn't been open when I tried to get in of late so it seems plausible however there's no basis whatsoever to believe the location is true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

squonk wrote: »
    Galway Bay Brewery are opening a new Craft beer pub in Limerick soon. They announced it on their Facebook page last night. It's a complete rumour but I've heard they may be taking over the Crafty Fox (allegedly). CF hasn't been open when I tried to get in of late so it seems plausible however there's no basis whatsoever to believe the location is true

Biggest mistake would be to go into the Crafty Fox. I don't know why, but that location has just never worked. McDaids, The Cuckoo Box, Whelans and now the Crafty Fox. None of them have lasted long, despite it being the busiest part of town at night.

I'm a tad skeptical about that myself as the CF doesn't seem to have the kind of layout I'd usually associate with their bars. They generally do food and The Fox is a bit small for that. Their Salt House bar in Galway is a pokey enough spot but it's a drinking bar only and it's in a good location. Ideally it'd be great to have the Crafty Fox still around. The competition might get the m to up their game to compete. For the Blind Pig it'll be interesting. I'd hope they'd ditch some of the mainstream taps and put in a few more interesting/revolving choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

squonk wrote: »

Link? :)
    Would be fantastic, would like if they took the bank or something though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

McDaids used to be packed on a Saturday night around 9 or 10 years ago but it just went downhill fast. It seemed to get a reputation for having a rough crowd then and that continued to the cuckoo box. People seem to have steered clear of that pub in most of its various guises since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is craft beer a phase that will die down.crafty fox and blind pig not great pubs imo
    Was in a craft place in Dublin across the road from whelans and while better choice it was nearly too much and the crowd try hard hipsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

bigpink wrote: »
    Is craft beer a phase that will die down.crafty fox and blind pig not great pubs imo
    Was in a craft place in Dublin across the road from whelans and while better choice it was nearly too much and the crowd try hard hipsters

Craft beer and a craft pub done right are just fantastic!
    The one in Galway is superb :)

Only link I have is the Oslo in Galway here

Limerick doesn't have a 'proper' craft pub yet and the GBB crowd do know how to do proper craft places. They can be a bit hipsterish but I spent a lot of time in the Salt House in Galway and it was packed with beer enthusiasts and a few who brewed their own as well. I miss the discussions about various types of beer. I like what the Blind Pig are doing but they're going only half way. The Crafty Fox tried to ape the GBB model but tagged on loud bands and tried to be a bit of everything. It didn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'd like a Salthouse in every town and city. I'm off to Galway soon on a Stag and the first port of call will be The Salthouse because I couldn't properly appreciate a good beer/ale/etc If I visited it after far too many porters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I hope they're setting up in the former Quins building. That old bonded store has bags of character and it would be great to have it brought back in to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

It would make my day if GBB opened up down here!! I miss long evenings in the salt house!! I'm in love with full sail, and the grub in the Oslo and the cottage in Galway is top notch! Would it be daffys by any chance?! Didn't someone mention that premises had reapplied for its licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Casa De Burritos is opening on High Street! This paired with the new GBB news, makes me a very happy girl today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya not a hope it's an apple store. If they were opening their first store in Ireland it would most definitely be in Dublin first and they nearly always choose very big and unique buildings for the store also unless it's one in a shopping mall. The Sony store nor limerick fit the bill at all. If it wasn't Dublin then Cork would be the most likely other destination.

I would think compu b moving over is more likely. A lot of people think it is an apple store already and don't realise there is a difference between apple store and apple reseller.

Apple own the Disney building in Grafton St, there was strong rumours about an opening of a store there last year but they granted APR licence to i-connect instead which usually signals Apple a poised to move into the Republic in the near term.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Vanquished wrote: »
    I hope they're setting up in the former Quins building. That old bonded store has bags of character and it would be great to have it brought back in to use.

Not sure if there would not be some issues with setting up there now, but if a spot that I would love to see come back to life.

I loved Quins and Limerick has not had a bar come even close to it in terms of character and atmosphere since it's doors shut.

GBB would be a fantastic brand to set up shop there, and as someone else said in the thread, Limerick has yet to get a proper craft bar so would love for GBB to be it as they have a feel for what a craft bar should be.

Regardless of where they set up, it is good news to see them coming to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is there a link to confirm this? I couldn't find anything on the GBB facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

RINO87 wrote: »
    Is there a link to confirm this? I couldn't find anything on the GBB facebook page

Try the Oslo salthill page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

The DIM SUM Chinese on Catherine street is currently being ripped out. Passed it there on Lunch. Theres a sign in the window saying ASAKA Japanese restaurant opening soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I wish 95% of the Chinese restaurants in Ireland were being currently ripped out, we will have no problem putting up with the loss of one.

This Japanese place will need to be on the ball if it is to take business from Taikichi, one of the best things to happen to the Limerick food scene for years.

Ah feck! I liked Dim Sum. It was decent enough. Best I've had around anyway. I love Japanese food though so if what's going in is decent then it might be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I emailed Wetherspoon's to suggest Quin's, or the Opera Centre generally, might be a suitable site for one of their pubs (they're always looking to expand into new places). They replied "Limerick is definitely a town J D Wetherspoon would like to be represented in and our regional surveyors are definitely on the lookout for suitable premises. Hopefully they will find a suitable site soon."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

There's a brewery already looking at Quinn's. I had to do the costings for it recently. Not gonna say who or anything like that. Suffice to say they looking at spending a nice bit of wedge in there. A limerick Architect has done the drawings for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

cronin_j wrote: »
    There's a brewery already looking at Quinn's. I had to do the costings for it recently. Not gonna say who or anything like that. Suffice to say they looking at spending a nice bit of wedge in there. A limerick Architect has done the drawings for it.

Stuart Clark (deputy editor of Hotpress and former Limerick resident) said on Twitter over the weekend that an Against The Grain sister pub is due to open in Limerick soon. I think Against The Grain are affiliated to the Galway Bay Brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

cronin_j wrote: »

Best pub in the city...hope it doesn't change too much if it goes ahead, that was a savage spot.

Now if we could just recreate McDays....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Was in town today and saw the lot beside compub has been sold there are signs for O2 up in the windows but I doubt their going to open another store unless their closing down the other one. Also I noticed theirs a bit of work going on in the shop beside Chocolat today so maybe something new is moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Best pub in the city...hope it doesn't change too much if it goes ahead, that was a savage spot.

Now if we could just recreate McDays....

Obviously they would need to change or else it will have the same faith as Quinns did, a few "rockers" wont keep it open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

davo2001 wrote: »
    Obviously they would need to change or else it will have the same faith as Quinns did, a few "rockers" wont keep it open.

Ya fair enough, I wasn't living in the city when it closed, I thought it had been bought out as opposed to going out of business. In any case, great news if it goes ahead.

Advertisement