Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

There's a new toy shop open in the old Imasa unit on O'Connell Street. Also, Jerry Flannery had a planning application in last weeks Leader to open a late bar on Cecil Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The 5 story building on the corner of Thomas St and Catherine has just been sold, to a developer who claims to Retailers lined up to occupy some of the units on 3 floors, 2 other floors reserved for office space, this has been brewing for quiet a while, now the purchase is complete it should see some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

pigtown wrote: »
    Jerry Flannery had a planning application in last weeks Leader to open a late bar on Cecil Street.

They must be extending in to that warehouse/shed beside the bar. It's a shocking looking yoke. They'll have a job turning that in to anything decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jerry Flannery's already knocked in to a unit on Cecil Street a couple of years back to make the smoking area so I'm sure they'll be able to so just as good a job with the other vacant buildings on the street.

They rebuilt the frontage of a small shop to mirror that of the existing pub facade. This is a far larger building that will require a fair bit of work.

It's a terrible eyesore at the moment and it'll be interesting to see what they've got in store for that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Vanquished wrote: »
    They rebuilt the frontage of a small shop to mirror that of the existing pub facade. This is a far larger building that will require a fair bit of work.

It's a terrible eyesore at the moment and it'll be interesting to see what they've got in store for that place.

That's true but because it's nothing more than a shed they'll be very little in his way in developing it other than cash. I think its worth the investment.

phog wrote: »
    That's true but because it's nothing more than a shed they'll be very little in his way in developing it other than cash. I think its worth the investment.

I guess it'll depend on how extensive the plans are. But yeah it would be a lost opportunity not to take advantage of a large vacant property adjacent to your business. Definitely worth taking a punt!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I guess it'll depend on how extensive the plans are. But yeah it would be a lost opportunity not to take advantage of a large vacant property adjacent to your business. Definitely worth taking a punt!

If I was Fla, I'd be making it a largish area where he can open up for busy nights and just concentrate on his existing pub with snug type areas for the run of the mill days/evenings.

I'd also try and get hot food for lunchtime trade and parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They must be extending in to that warehouse/shed beside the bar. It's a shocking looking yoke. They'll have a job turning that in to anything decent!

Flannerys have indeed purchased the building next to it in Cecil street that had been owned as a store-room for Clancys electrical prior to their move to the Parkway and eventual demise...

Will be one heck of a venture when complete I'd say as that place is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Whereabouts on the street is it exactly?

Edit- nevermind I figured it out! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

A new shop opening up in Arthur's Quay shopping centre, looks like a Halloween shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

jmch81 wrote: »
    A new shop opening up in Arthur's Quay shopping centre, looks like a Halloween shop.

LOL, with a bit of editing you can copy your post to the closing thread in 3 weeks so :)

The Examiner is reporting that the bank bar on O'Connell Street is to re-open after the new owners leased it to an operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Examiner is reporting that the bank bar on O'Connell Street is to re-open after the new owners leased it to an operator.

Good luck to them! That's all I'll say! It'll be tough to attract punters up that side of the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

God I hate the word punters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it that UK pub chain going into the Bank Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

bigpink wrote: »
    Is it that UK pub chain going into the Bank Bar?

Hear that as well today in work, only rumors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Good luck to them! That's all I'll say! It'll be tough to attract punters up that side of the town!
    I'd say if it's a wetherspoon's pub it'll attract people (at least initially) regardless of where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Would be good if it was a 'Spoons. They are going down a storm in Blackrock in Dublin. I hadn't heard Limerick being mentioned as being on their radar. They've one or two venues slated for Dublin, one opened with another pending I believe. There are 2 pending for Cork but there's been no mention of Galway or Limerick as yet.

From starting off at €3.50-€3.90 for pints in Blackrock, the prices have now gone down to €2.30-€2.50 since the weekend or late last week I believe. Could be a very good thing. On the other hand, the availability of such cheap drink could act as a Mecca for the skangers who frequent that area of town. Hopefully they'll start with the €3.50 prices and build up a good clientele before they drop them so the scrotes won't infest the place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

squonk wrote: »
    Would be good if it was a 'Spoons. They are going down a storm in Blackrock in Dublin. I hadn't heard Limerick being mentioned as being on their radar. They've one or two venues slated for Dublin, one opened with another pending I believe. There are 2 pending for Cork but there's been no mention of Galway or Limerick as yet.

They're planning on opening 50 around the country and have said that while no location has been decided, Limerick is in their plans.
    squonk wrote: »
    From starting off at €3.50-€3.90 for pints in Blackrock, the prices have now gone down to €2.30-€2.50 since the weekend or late last week I believe. Could be a very good thing. On the other hand, the availability of such cheap drink could act as a Mecca for the skangers who frequent that area of town. Hopefully they'll start with the €3.50 prices and build up a good clientele before they drop them so the scrotes won't infest the place.

This is their price list.
    10612879_794633967242552_5171379316554505887_n-357x500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

With prices like that I fear the place will become a clone of the bitter end, filled with the same kind of clientele

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've been to a good few spoons in the UK and they are mostly very different with clientele. Clearly some were destined for a certain customer sandwiched between a load of bookies yet some are really nice and in nice buildings and have a busy food service.

Cheap prices attract nearly everybody not just a certain crowd so if they open in Limerick then people will visit and its up to the management to figure/sort out the crowd they want by good door management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I'd say if it's a wetherspoon's pub it'll attract people (at least initially) regardless of where it is.

Ugh Wetherspoons are the worst. Just soulless hell holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Parchment wrote: »
    Ugh Wetherspoons are the worst. Just soulless hell holes.

For 3 quid a pint,they'll certainly be far from soulless

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I hear ALDI are looking to build a new store just before Hassetts Cross in Thomondgate where the woodwork/paint place is.

This is a joke. There is already topaz and Johnseys shop close by.

Where did you get your information.

There is just too many shops in the area. Dunnes and Lidl are not that far away.

The council need to reject any planning application.

Irish owned businesses would suffer big time and I dont like the idea of supporting a foreign supermarket who take their profits out of the country.

I know some people living in houses either side of it and there is no way they would sell up at the age they are at.

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    This is a joke. There is already topaz and Johnseys shop close by.

Where did you get your information.

There is just too many shops in the area. Dunnes and Lidl are not that far away.

The council need to reject any planning application .

??? Yeah because they care???

I would rather go to there than a ****ing topaz and get raped if I want to buy something 'cheap'. You can hardly do your shopping there can you?

Why should they reject the permission? So topaz can charge extortionate prices?

Jesus. What an awful arguement.

Just saw your edit about Irish business. It's a topaz, so we should just accept to shop there rather than go somewhere cheaper. Not to mention topaz is a petrol station so they aren't even in competition.

With your defence of topaz and that area, I really hope you aren't the Lisa that used to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

??? Yeah because they care???

I would rather go to there than a ****ing topaz and get raped if I want to buy something 'cheap'. You can hardly do your shopping there can you?

Why should they reject the permission? So topaz can charge extortionate prices?

Jesus. What an awful arguement.

Just saw your edit about Irish business. It's a topaz, so we should just accept to shop there rather than go somewhere cheaper. Not to mention topaz is a petrol station so they aren't even in competition.

With your defence of topaz and that area, I really hope you aren't the Lisa that used to work there.

Topaz are a rip off I agree. I dont see it as competition but people think there are no supermarkets near by. You have Eurospar which is not far away.

I have only shopped in Aldi once. I prefer shopping in a supermarket that keeps its profits in the country.

I'm delighted for you that you have only shopped in aldi once. Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Forget about Topaz, won't somebody please think about Johnsy??? (and if a swiper ever worked in johnsies friendly store then it's not me:p)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

The days of small corner shops are well and truly over. It is the nature of competition with the big supermarkets.

Even places like Eurospar in Moyross and Supervalue in Grove Island are going to feel the heat from the bigger stores. They simply can't compete with the likes of Aldi and Lidl.

I don't like seeing any business close but at the end of the day I shop where the best prices are and that, in general, tends to be the German retail stores.

Having been ripped off by "Irish" retailers for years I don't have any qualms about taking my business elsewhere.

Advertisement