Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

zulutango wrote: »
    Late night coffee shop! :)

The Cellar Door in Foxes Bow is open until half past midnight according to their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cellardoorfoxsbow/info?ref=page_internal

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

As someone already mentioned there's a restaurant going into the old Apache Pizza/Friar Tucks unit on Henry St too. I had a gawk in the window the other day and it "looks like" its going to be another Asian restaurant (plus there were two Asian lads pottering around inside at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

As someone already mentioned there's a restaurant going into the old Apache Pizza/Friar Tucks unit on Henry St too. I had a gawk in the window the other day and it "looks like" its going to be another Asian restaurant (plus there were two Asian lads pottering around inside at the time).

Did they look Japanese:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Apache is still in one of the units there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Two new ones have opened on Fox's Bow in the last few months - The Stormy Teacup and The Cellar. I think both stay open late, which is something the city needs if it's going to attract more people to live in the centre.

Are you talking about a third one?

The 3rd coffee shop is in the unit on the William street side of Foxes Bow that used to be a cobblers. Its run by one of the women that worked in The Sandwich Shop on Thomas Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Only 3 Japanese places? Going by the nature of new businesses in Limerick I'd say about another 20 should open in the city centre in the next 6 months so.

Whose fault is it when these kind of things happen? I'd say the actual owners themselves not doing enough research on the surrounding areas with similar businesses already going successfully. Or else there is a sudden explosion in demand for caffeiene in Limerick and these business owners want to get in on it. Not sure what they think they can do better or different with their shops than all the other ones they surely researched before committing to starting another one.

Waterfordwhispersnews should do an article on this sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Buttlers chocolate café opening in the crescent shopping center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Whose fault is it when these kind of things happen? I'd say the actual owners themselves not doing enough research on the surrounding areas with similar businesses already going successfully. Or else there is a sudden explosion in demand for caffeiene in Limerick and these business owners want to get in on it. Not sure what they think they can do better or different with their shops than all the other ones they surely researched before committing to starting another one.

Waterfordwhispersnews should do an article on this sh!t

It does all seem a bit weird.

Then again, visitor number are supposedly up massively due to the city of culture, so maybe these investors are banking on the numbers staying high?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

bazz26 wrote: »
    Frank Hogan lost the Audi franchise about 2 years ago when Audi reorganized their Irish dealer network. According to the article in the Limerick Post the new franchise will be run by Joe Duffy who is a large multi-franchise dealer in Dublin and not the radio show host. :)

Still not sure where they are talking about though as the Old Dublin Road runs from the Aldi/Travel Lodge up as far as the Parkway roundabout. The obvious choice to me would have been the former O'Mara Motors showroom on the Tipperary road that was only built back in 2008. I wonder have the Limerick Post got their wires crossed or is it one of the retail units between Aldi and the Travel Lodge?

My boss lives over that way, says he saw a planning permission sign on that site that used to be a Texaco Petrol station off the parkway roundabout.

This one.

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Parkway-Roundabout-Limerick-city-Co-Limerick/125970/#img=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Two new ones have opened on Fox's Bow in the last few months - The Stormy Teacup and The Cellar. I think both stay open late, which is something the city needs if it's going to attract more people to live in the centre.

Are you talking about a third one?

Yes, it's called Cafe Ola and if you turn into Foxes Bows off William St it's the first place on the right hand side.

Foxes Bow is a great little street. There's huge potential in Limerick's small lanes and streets, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

MarkR wrote: »
    My boss lives over that way, says he saw a planning permission sign on that site that used to be a Texaco Petrol station off the parkway roundabout.

This one.

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Parkway-Roundabout-Limerick-city-Co-Limerick/125970/#img=1

remember this being discussed before, not sure if either here or in Buisnesses Closing when the Texaco closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Would love to see foxes bow covered along with little Catharine street and the laneway linking them and turn it into a artisan market type affair. Little shops and more foodie places.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MarkR wrote: »

This one.

Mmm, they knocked the premises on that site some years ago and the Limerick Post article states they are to be up and running by the end of the month so it must be one of the premises near there as opposed to the site itself. Must take a stroll over that way but from memory I don't remember there being much in the way of any property there that would be suitable as a car showroom especially one that will host a premium brand in it. To my recollection it's mostly apartments and a few small retail units in that area. Bit of a bizarre location for it anyway imo too.

sioda wrote: »
    Would love to see foxes bow covered along with little Catharine street and the laneway linking them and turn it into a artisan market type affair. Little shops and more foodie places.

I think that would ruin the character of those streets!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Frank Hogan lost the Audi franchise about 2 years ago when Audi reorganized their Irish dealer network. According to the article in the Limerick Post the new franchise will be run by Joe Duffy who is a large multi-franchise dealer in Dublin and not the radio show host. :)

Still not sure where they are talking about though as the Old Dublin Road runs from the Aldi/Travel Lodge up as far as the Parkway roundabout. The obvious choice to me would have been the former O'Mara Motors showroom on the Tipperary road that was only built back in 2008. I wonder have the Limerick Post got their wires crossed or is it one of the retail units between Aldi and the Travel Lodge?

Singland Motors

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    Singland Motors

If that is true then that would be a decent enough showroom and a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

sioda wrote: »

That Knock shrine shop is a real anomoly on Little Catherine Street. It's dead frontage contributes nothing to the streetscape!

It's a pity it didn't continue trading as a bar or even a restaurant. It still has the fixed glass canopy attached. Plenty of space for outdoor seating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Vanquished wrote: »
    That Knock shrine shop is a real anomoly on Little Catherine Street. It's dead frontage contributes nothing to the streetscape!

It's a pity it didn't continue trading as a bar or even a restaurant. It still has the fixed glass canopy attached. Plenty of space for outdoor seating too.

Which knock shop?
    There's loads of them on Catherine Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Knock Shrine Bureau on Kittle Catherine Street. It used to be a pub called PJ's!

I remember thinking at the time that there is a little bit of irony opening a religious shop on the site of the former PJ's pub. :D

I remember thinking at the time that there is a little bit of irony opening a religious shop on the site of the former PJ's pub. :D

Exactly. An odd re-incarnation alright! Of all the things it could have became!

I think the owner retired and sold the licence. It's a pity really. Little Catherine Street is a nice, vibrant spot as it is but a bar with outside seating would work well there.

It's interesting that the two pubs on the street (PJ's and Finn's?) were sold and converted to retail space just as it was being repaved and pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Finn's (Flannery's) moved to Denmark Street as it had no smoking area on William Street, forcing people out to the street.

Odd! Many traditional pubs survive without elaborate smoking areas. A canopy along the Little Catherine Street side would've done the trick.

The boom-time superpub on Denmark Street is a world away from the cosy bar they sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If that is true then that would be a decent enough showroom and a good spot.

Heard the same as well.

Have you seen the advert for the salesman? "Avergae is not expected or accepted"... Lol, that attitude may work in Dublin, I'm sure it will go a long way down here.

Heard the same as well.

Have you seen the advert for the salesman? "Avergae is not expected or accepted"... Lol, that attitude may work in Dublin, I'm sure it will go a long way down here.

Lol, it was never a requirement in Frank Hogan's for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Finn's (Flannery's) moved to Denmark Street as it had no smoking area on William Street, forcing people out to the street.

Finn's had an issue with a foul odour at times in their basement too and while they did great food it was spoiled by the bad smell.

I see Inver have plans in to extend and re-open the former Esso service station beside the hurlers in Castletroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Are they buying the plot? Never any harm to have a petrol station that side of the the road, there are few.

Advertisement