Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Are they buying the plot? Never any harm to have a petrol station that side of the the road, there are few.

Well it was up for sale so I assume they've snapped it up.

There was a typically speculative and ambitious boom-time proposal that sought to develop a number of retail units and office suites on the hurlers car park. But that was killed off by the downturn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Topaz have also applied for planning to knock and rebuild their shop (formerly Pat Keogh's) on the Tipperary Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Topaz have also applied for planning to knock and rebuild their shop (formerly Pat Keogh's) on the Tipperary Road.

Well overdue to be fair, although it really is in a bad spot.

The Body Shop are opening up in the former Compu b store beside Brown Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Vanquished wrote: »
    The Body Shop are opening up in the former Compu b store beside Brown Thomas.

Funny as their original location in limerick was where Carl scarpa are now! Hope they do well there. I like the body shop but it always seems very quiet in the crescent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Works going on at Singland motors. Must be the new audi dealership so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Parchment wrote: »
    Funny as their original location in limerick was where Carl scarpa are now! Hope they do well there. I like the body shop but it always seems very quiet in the crescent

Bit of a weird one alright but glad to see that empty unit snapped up so fast.

Yeah I had a feeling they used to have a store on that corner in the past. They seem to be operating out of smaller outlets these days generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Vanquished wrote: »
    Yeah I had a feeling they used to have a store on that corner in the past. They seem to be operating out of smaller outlets these days generally.
    Yes, as mentioned above, they were where Carl Scarpa are now. I thought the Body Shop was a franchise? So wouldn't it be up to the franchisee to choose the location?

They were also on Cruises Street for a little while.
    I hope they do well in their new spot. They've shown confidence in the city by opening up again and I hope people realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

They were also on Cruises Street for a little while.
    I hope they do well in their new spot. They've shown confidence in the city by opening up again and I hope people realise that.

True, I was never a huge shopper there but I did like their shaving cream. It would hardly keep s business open.

Have O'Connors Cafe on Thomas Street reduced their opening hours? Anytime I've passed recently after 4 or so they seem to be closed? I noticed they had a sign up the last time blaming their credit card machine for being closed early. Surely they could stay open and just accept cash? It doesn't look good seeing them closed when other units beside them are open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Have O'Connors Cafe on Thomas Street reduced their opening hours? Anytime I've passed recently after 4 or so they seem to be closed? I noticed they had a sign up the last time blaming their credit card machine for being closed early. Surely they could stay open and just accept cash? It doesn't look good seeing them closed when other units beside them are open for business.

Most of the cafés seem to start winding down around then. It's a real indictment of the city that it just empties out in the evening time as everybody flees to the suburbs and the countryside.

O'Connor's are especially guilty of that. Certainly the first cafe in town to close up every afternoon/evening. They've got a great spot right in the centre of the street and you'd think they would be eager to maximise their trade. But obviously they don't see a need to. It's even worse of a Sunday. They start packing up around half two!

Hook & Ladder and the Cellar Door seem to be the only late-ish opening cafes in town at the moment. Although I believe the new place opening on the quays "crust cafe" plans to open until 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

God be with the days you could be eating a death by chocolate at 2 a.m. in Java's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

wingnut wrote: »
    God be with the days you could be eating a death by chocolate at 2 a.m. in Java's
    Jaysus that takes me back!

It had to be the hot chicken sambo for me at that time in the morning after clubbing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

moby2101 wrote: »
    Jaysus that takes me back!

It had to be the hot chicken sambo for me at that time in the morning after clubbing!

used to love that hot chicken sambo.. its a pity there is nowhere like Javas today. the upstairs was a lovely space.

vkid wrote: »
    used to love that hot chicken sambo.. its a pity there is nowhere like Javas today. the upstairs was a lovely space.

The staff were fairly lovely too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

zulutango wrote: »
    The staff were fairly lovely too ;)

Java club sandwich after Termights! Best way to end the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

a reminiscing thread is needed..:)

• Advertisement

Java's and Quins. Those were the days!

It would be great if Quin's could be resurrected when the get round to renovating that block!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I remember Tea & Toast for £1 in Javas......*creaks*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

I remember Tea & Toast for £1 in Javas......*creaks*

Nothing better on a cold day than tea and toast in the arm chairs by the fire. Damn I miss that place sometimes.

There were some expressions of interest in Quin's but they've come to nothing so far.

It's such an attractive building too. Limerick could do with another quirky, eccentric pub like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is there a demand tho after 6pm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Interesting tease from Alan English

Alan English ‏@AlanEnglish9 2h2 hours ago

Also tomorrow, giant UK retailer buying vacant Limerick building for €1.3m. Already has branches in Dublin and Cork.

Not many vacant buildings that a "giant" retailer could move into. He's shot down guesses of down M&S and Dunnes Sarfield St.

Interesting tease from Alan English

Alan English ‏@AlanEnglish9 2h2 hours ago

Also tomorrow, giant UK retailer buying vacant Limerick building for €1.3m. Already has branches in Dublin and Cork.

Not many vacant buildings that a "giant" retailer could move into. He's shot down guesses of down M&S and Dunnes Sarfield St.

Thomas Street Centre? It was reportedly acquired recently.

€1.3m isn't a lot. Maybe it's one of the smaller vacant units around town?

• Advertisement

well ... apparently the Thomas Street Centre was sold for €3 million recently, so I guess it's not that.

There seems to be a flaw in the article though because it was reportedly sold by the O'Malley's two years ago, yet they seem to have sold it again recently. Never knew you could do that.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/thomas-street-centre-in-limerick-is-sold-for-3m-1-6336227

Advertisement