Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Bank by Wetherspoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Vanquished wrote: »

That was going for about €300k recently. Would be surprised if its market price increased four fold in the last year!

Wow that's a staggeringly low price for a high quality building. It sold for a couple of million a decade or so ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wasn't that the building that Tesco wanted to open a Tesco Express in not so long ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Wow that's a staggeringly low price for a high quality building. It sold for a couple of million a decade or so ago!

It is low but a couple of million is also ridiculous. Check out the price of commercial units on any of the property sites you'll probably get a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

I think the commercial rates are something like €40,000 - €50,000 a year on the property! you only need to sell 10,000 drinks, paying nothing else, to break even on rates :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The savoy building was up for €1.7m recently. Maybe they got a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they're coming to limerick ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

DFS going into O Mara motors on the Bally Simon road.

Have heard in the last few weeks a consortium bought the Bank bar and wetherspoons to go in there. It was spouted a while back but seems to be doing the rounds again recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jofspring wrote: »

As in the furniture crowd? If so that will not be good news for EZ Living next door.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    As in the furniture crowd? If so that will not be good news for EZ Living next door.

Or me as I just bought a couch from ez living because I didn't fancy the drive to cork or dublin.

Also it's locals going into the bank. As much as I'm saying on it and really as much as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Are DFS and EZ Living not at different ends of the market quality wise though ? I might be wrong but I thought DFS sold product at the cheaper range of products and EZ the better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

DFS are in Cork and Dublin so that matches Alan English/Limerick Leader's tweet from last night.

Jofspring wrote: »

Pretty underwhelming! I was hoping it might have been a prominent retailer for the city centre.

Pretty underwhelming! I was hoping it might have been a prominent retailer for the city centre.

Home improvement is where the money is. As I was shopping very recently for a couch the options in limerick were very limited. Smaller places could show you brochures of ones they didn't have but that's no good. DFS will do well I'd say. I bought mine in ez living because I could see the couch in front of me in a nice showroom with helpful staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Are DFS and EZ Living not at different ends of the market quality wise though ? I might be wrong but I thought DFS sold product at the cheaper range of products and EZ the better quality.

Wouldn't think there would be much of a difference. Direct competition imo.
    I wouldnt consider EZ living in the higher end of the furniture market at all.

Pretty boring stuff, was hoping for something interesting..but new business is good news all the same.

A furniture shop? Jaysus....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thought the market for furniture was oversaturated here as it was.

More jobs are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Isn't Brodricks across the road from there as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭squonk

So is The Bank getting brought by Weatherspoons still a rumour or is there any substance at all? Can't take another Galway Bay Brewery type non starter!

squonk wrote: »
    So is The Bank getting brought by Weatherspoons still a rumour or is there any substance at all? Can't take another Galway Bay Brewery type non starter!

You are probably better off the Galway Brewery didn't open :D

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/10/22/heineken-sales-down-as-dickheads-migrate-to-craft-beers/

• Advertisement

Haven't EZ living got two stores in close proximity on the Ballysimon Road? One right next door to the proposed DFS outlet.

Haven't EZ living got two stores in close proximity on the Ballysimon Road? One right next door to the proposed DFS outlet.

Sure it is standard business these days in Limerick to open a copycat next door or across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Probably why Audi didn't go in there so.

Plans have been posted to renovate and re-open the abandoned former TOP service station on the Dock Road. It's the latest in a number of planning applications to re-establish mothballed service stations in the city this year.

Like the former Esso out in Castletroy there were much grander plans for this site back during the boom. A new hotel was in the pipeline initially but the plans were then changed to an 8 storey office block as shown below.

An in-fill building like that proposed would probably be a more appropriate solution for that site but at least it'll be cleaned up and brought back to life. It has become a terrible eyesore and a haven for junkies etc!

estuary1.jpeg

That whole area was very, very, very poorly developed and it's become a ghetto. I'm not sure what the solution is to be honest.

Appallingly so! Rebuilt on the cheap with no coherent planning strategy it would seem. I park in the car parks down there regularly enough and to say I've seen some unsavoury carry on would be a major understatement!

The Richmond Court apartments in particular are an absolute abomination! They need to be pulled down. They certainly don't represent the type of urban living we want to promote!

It has become a ghetto because of the kind of unsavoury characters living in the apartments all around there.

Steamboat Quay, Mount Kenneth etc - absolute hole of a place.

It has become a ghetto because of the kind of unsavoury characters living in the apartments all around there.

Steamboat Quay, Mount Kenneth etc - absolute hole of a place.

Those people live there because the apartments were poorly designed and built, and therefore they command low rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Apparently Del Arte restaurant that is in the Crescent is opening a branch where Ivans used to be! They advertised for a number of staff roles in the paper recently so that explains it.

• Advertisement

Apparently Del Arte restaurant that is in the Crescent is opening a branch where Ivans used to be! They advertised for a number of staff roles in the paper recently so that explains it.

Interesting. A real lack of bars and resturaunts out the Ennis Road direction. I had heard Zest were going in there though.

Advertisement