Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would have thought the empty restaurant by tk Maxx would be a better location that Ivan's. Better footfall and more parking. Shame there's trees growing inside the building though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I would have thought the empty restaurant by tk Maxx would be a better location that Ivan's. Better footfall and more parking. Shame there's trees growing inside the building though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was that originally supposed to be a TGI Fridays way back when?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

1huge1 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but was that originally supposed to be a TGI Fridays way back when?

That was certainly the rumour around these parts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

American Golf got permission to open in that unit a few years back but it never happened.

There was also an application for another cafe/restaurant beside the vacant unit but it was turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

zulutango wrote: »
    Those people live there because the apartments were poorly designed and built, and therefore they command low rents.

I saw an ad for an apartment for sale there for 28 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

Plenty of work being done in the old BOI in Caherdavin today

Post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Post office.
    Exciting. Probably due to Ivan's being bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

Exciting. Probably due to Ivan's being bought.
    Not particularly i don't think, I know the Post Office contract was ending (maybe it has now ended) soon, I think it was more a case of that. Perhaps a buyer was waiting for this to happen so that they'd have more space

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Looks like the old Apache pizza unit is going to be a BBQ joint. Saw a sign on the doors when I was passing last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

source wrote: »
    Looks like the old Apache pizza unit is going to be a BBQ joint. Saw a sign on the doors when I was passing last night.

That could be very interesting if it is done well. There are a few very good barbeque joints in Dublin these days, it can be amazing if it's done well. On the flipside it can be absolutely disgusting if they take a lazy approach (still a certain class of punter who will probably lap it up though, Texas Stakeout is still one of the most popular restaurants in town)

The new jean shop on Cruises street is disappointing, just more Crosshatch and similar gear.

That could be very interesting if it is done well. There are a few very good barbeque joints in Dublin these days, it can be amazing if it's done well. On the flipside it can be absolutely disgusting if they take a lazy approach (still a certain class of punter who will probably lap it up though, Texas Stakeout is still one of the most popular restaurants in town)

The new jean shop on Cruises street is disappointing, just more Crosshatch and similar gear.

Yeah I'm really hoping they do a good job, there's nothing better than BBQ if it's done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The former Apache unit is tiny though so I don't expect more than a BBQ fast food place doing takeaway with a few dine in seats.

The former Apache unit is tiny though so I don't expect more than a BBQ fast food place doing takeaway with a few dine in seats.

Agreed, but if done right there's no reason why it couldn't still be great food.

I've been to a few very small almost shack style places in the US where the barbeque grub was outrageously good. I see no reason why they can't have a superb product, we are rightly proud of our Irish beef and pork, we should be able to do this well, I hope they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I've been to a few very small almost shack style places in the US where the barbeque grub was outrageously good. I see no reason why they can't have a superb product, we are rightly proud of our Irish beef and pork, we should be able to do this well, I hope they do.

The best thing would be if they've learned how to do it all through some of those American BBQ places and then bring the techniques back home, rather than just winging it and doing any old BBQ. Hope they'll do some good pulled BBQ pork.

The best thing would be if they've learned how to do it all through some of those American BBQ places and then bring the techniques back home, rather than just winging it and doing any old BBQ. Hope they'll do some good pulled BBQ pork.

The fitout has been going on so long that i'm actually confident that it could be an attempt at the real deal. I'm a sucker for fall off the bone moist ribs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The fitout has been going on so long that i'm actually confident that it could be an attempt at the real deal. I'm a sucker for fall off the bone moist ribs

If they can do stuff like this, i will go there a few times a week lol. That guy's voice is comical too

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

A BBQ place in Limerick would be great.

However, a quick google search for "El Toro BBQ" (which is the label on the doors beside the Apache place - I may be wrong in the location though) shows that it's been set up by the same company directors as the "Sunshine Chinese Restauarant" in Cappamore.....

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/El-Toro-Barbeque-Limited-549247
    http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Director/Liu/Tao/2242393927/

I am suspect about getting quality Southern 'cue now...

Sunshine from Cappamore. Formerly of Newport. I like that guy. Guess you won't know till you try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭squonk

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. The problem is that BBQ can be done well but, in as much as I know about it, it takes quite a good bit of time to slow cook your meat, lots of time for smoking and a lot of effort too. I love cooking and would love to do some BBQ stuff but I rarely get the chance as I'm not around at weekends and dont' have the time the rest of the week. It strikes me as there being 2 approaches they could take, 1. the long time-consuming way resulting in fabulous food at a medium to highish cost but will be well worth it or 2. take shortcuts, slap on some BBQ sauce on boiled ribs with a bit of oven time like the Chinese places do. I hope they go for option 1

Ferguson's Chemist has been let.

It could just be for a Christmas pop up shop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Has always amazed me how that unit has been vacant for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Has always amazed me how that unit has been vacant for so long.

Agreed, the rent could be saucy as the location is excellent. Hope whoever goes in there doesn't try to move the nightly feed the homeless operation that's been there for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Copper & Spice in town is being gutted at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My money is on another kebab or pizza shop opening there.

Hope whoever goes in there doesn't try to move the nightly feed the homeless operation that's been there for a few years.

I'm sure they'd just move off it became occupied again. It's a pity there isn't an actual soup kitchen around for the homeless/needy. Being served up food on the street is never ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Probably but that unit has a canopy which gives a bit of shelter if it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

10347789_10203685122900861_761478231030897589_n.jpg?oh=91913fce49e203bd969ff32ab58071c8&oe=54E49C33&__gda__=1425285132_2449f802f69e6b67436ed96b076fba00

Looks like it will be re-opening soon.

Notices displayed in the windows since earlier this week.
    Adjoining Post Office has been vacated and is now up & running in the old Bank of Ireland premises alongside Whitty's supermarket in Caherdavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

So I take it it isn't Del Arte like mentioned here. Sounds good though, seems more of a bakery/cafe than a shop.

Advertisement