Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Vanquished wrote: »
    Not at all. There's a large catchment area in Corbally. Plenty of potential customers only a short stroll away. It'll be a great addition to the locality.

and no daytime business/industry to note.

delish didn't survive in town, but still going in raheen and castletroy. why? ind estate in raheen, and UL/business park in castletroy. most of the cachement area you speak of isn't in the area during the day to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

mossym wrote: »
    and no daytime business/industry to note.

delish didn't survive in town, but still going in raheen and castletroy. why? ind estate in raheen, and UL/business park in castletroy. most of the cachement area you speak of isn't in the area during the day to go there.

Delish didn't last in town because the unit was small and the rent was high! Hook and ladder are absolutely thriving on Sarsfield Street. As are many other restaurants and cafes in the city centre.

So there are no housewives, people working from home, retirees, students, teachers out in Corbally? Who says they won't frequent it? We don't know the opening hours either.

They've got it spot on with their ventures so far. They wouldn't be pumping money in to that building if they didn't think it would work! Enough of the negativity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

They've got it spot on with their ventures so far. They wouldn't be pumping money in to that building if they didn't think it would work! Enough of the negativity!

Eh Instore is evidence enough that the people behind it can make mistakes too. I wish them well but clairvoyants they are not.

Delish didn't last in town because the unit was small and the rent was high! Hook and ladder are absolutely thriving on Sarsfield Street. As are many other restaurants and cafes in the city centre.
    !

so lots of others are thriving in spite of the high rents. delish didn't, yet succeeds where there are high levels of business to support it. should have had that in the city too, but it proves they can be succesful when there is industry nearby, with people with disposable income. corbally doesn't have that. that's my point
    So there are no housewives, people working from home, retirees, students, teachers out in Corbally? Who says they won't frequent it? We don't know the opening hours either.

lots of them. lots of them in raheen, dooradoyle and castletroy too, yet the cafes in those areas are full of people in business attire. not the housewives and students. time will tell if they can make a business from that
    Enough of the negativity!

oh that old nugget. amazing how that keeps getting rolled out as soon as anyone questions a new business in Limerick. it's a discussion forum, it's for discussion, not simple broadcasting of positivity only, the local papers and SM are full of that already. it's perfectly possible to hope this succeeds, because i do, while also being surprised and questioning the approach. 2 years of an MBA showed that some of the most interesting and successful businesses were the ones that succeeded in spite of some questionable tactics.

blind headed optimism is a lot more foolish than cautious positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

so lots of others are thriving in spite of the high rents. delish didn't, yet succeeds where there are high levels of business to support it. should have had that in the city too, but it proves they can be succesful when there is industry nearby, with people with disposable income. corbally doesn't have that. that's my point

lots of them. lots of them in raheen, dooradoyle and castletroy too, yet the cafes in those areas are full of people in business attire. not the housewives and students. time will tell if they can make a business from that

oh that old nugget. amazing how that keeps getting rolled out as soon as anyone questions a new business in Limerick. it's a discussion forum, it's for discussion, not simple broadcasting of positivity only, the local papers and SM are full of that already. it's perfectly possible to hope this succeeds, because i do, while also being surprised and questioning the approach. 2 years of an MBA showed that some of the most interesting and successful businesses were the ones that succeeded in spite of some questionable tactics.

blind headed optimism is a lot more foolish than cautious positivity

Delish had a plumbing issue, not that it matters.

Tell me, how can anyone, on an online forum, have any idea what a new businesses cost base is, until you know that you simply cannot predict it's chances....full stop....we can however suggest that the unit they will be occupying is a hell of a lot cheaper than the areas you mentioned, as it has been empty for 8 years, they are also serving an area with a population of between 8-10,000 people within a 3mile stretch of road, two massive schools with a very busy passing trade.

The owners of Instore were always well respected, I am delighted to see them back on their feet, that is not blind optimism just well meaning, the market will decide whether they will make it or not.

• Advertisement

Tell me, how can anyone, on an online forum, have any idea what a new businesses cost base is, until you know that you simply cannot predict it's chances....full stop....we can however suggest that the unit they will be occupying is a hell of a lot cheaper than the areas you mentioned, as it has been empty for 8 years, they are also serving an area with a population of between 8-10,000 people within a 3mile stretch of road, two massive schools with a very busy passing trade.

i can't. and never claimed to. point out where i made any reference to their cost base? i never mentioned a cost base. you've said it's cheaper, in the same breath as you said no-one on a forum can know. slight contradiction?

your reasons it could succeed are entirely valid. i simply pointed out a question over a daytime service business without any nearby businesses of note. why are the positives any more valid to state than the negative? i hope they succeed as well. pointing out a potential(and it might not even be one) problem they have to overcome isn't a death wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

Ah its not just Corbally as a catchment area though, have to look beyond that at people from Clare coming into the City. Anything on the Corbally Road would be the first thing people pass coming in from Ardnacrusha/Clonlara. Can't think of any cafes out that road after Cafe Mocha at Grove Island? (Not counting pubs or restaurants that is at Shannon Banks and beyond)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Am where will the cars park? In the pub next door? I'm sure they will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

Am where will the cars park? In the pub next door? I'm sure they will be delighted.

I was wondering that too. The area is jammers at school pick up time. Crazy amount of cars wait down Irish Estates.

i can't. and never claimed to. point out where i made any reference to their cost base? i never mentioned a cost base. you've said it's cheaper, in the same breath as you said no-one on a forum can know. slight contradiction?

your reasons it could succeed are entirely valid. i simply pointed out a question over a daytime service business without any nearby businesses of note. why are the positives any more valid to state than the negative? i hope they succeed as well. pointing out a potential(and it might not even be one) problem they have to overcome isn't a death wish.

You made no reference to their cost base at all, that was my point, you don't know it.

I have suggested the unit is cheaper on account of the fact there are not as many businesses in the area like you mentioned, I said the unit has been empty for 8 years, there is a high probability that the unit is much cheaper, not an outrageous suggestion don't you think.

I think anyone reading your posts would deduce that you do not rate their chances of success, I merely pointed out that without the vital piece of information about their cost base, no one, not you or I, is in a position to question the viability, they are merely engaging in unnecessary negativity whether they realise it or not, and it seems anyone who questions that is engaging in blind optimism.

The positives were only mentioned after the usual negatives appeared, not before.

How has pointing out the flaws you believe exist helped in any way, do you not think that maybe, the family who are about to invest hard earned cash have not thought about the same thing? you can be sure that whoever is behind this is aware of all the pitfalls, the supposed lack of parking, the lack of passing footfall during the day, but sometimes the smart one's are the one's who can see through the pitfalls and press on, if it was simple we'd all be at it! The family behind this got burned previously, they are probably best placed to learn from their mistakes, leave them at it.

• Advertisement

I think anyone reading your posts would deduce that you do not rate their chances of success, I merely pointed out that without the vital piece of information about their cost base, no one, not you or I, is in a position to question the viability, they are merely engaging in unnecessary negativity whether they realise it or not, and it seems anyone who questions that is engaging in blind optimism.

The positives were only mentioned after the usual negatives appeared, not before.

How has pointing out the flaws you believe exist helped in any way, do you not think that maybe, the family who are about to invest hard earned cash have not thought about the same thing? you can be sure that whoever is behind this is aware of all the pitfalls, the supposed lack of parking, the lack of passing footfall during the day, but sometimes the smart one's are the one's who can see through the pitfalls and press on, if it was simple we'd all be at it! The family behind this got burned previously, they are probably best placed to learn from their mistakes, leave them at it.

my comment about the location was made after the large cachement area in corbally was put forward as a positive.

there is a tendency to negative on here about new things, but the tolerance factor to any meaningful debate about pro/cons of new businesses is so low that anything other than 100% support is deemed as negative. honestly, does anyone believe the success of this business is anyway affected by us discussing it here?

if discussing (and it is a discussion board) the good and the bad isn't what the thread is for, then the mods should stick a rule on it saying no replies , put advertisement in the thread title and let it be.

i get the impression some people are way too close to those opening this to discuss objectively. that's fine too. long as we all know where we stand

my comment about the location was made after the large cachement area in corbally was put forward as a positive.

there is a tendency to negative on here about new things, but the tolerance factor to any meaningful debate about pro/cons of new businesses is so low that anything other than 100% support is deemed as negative. honestly, does anyone believe the success of this business is anyway affected by us discussing it here?

if discussing (and it is a discussion board) the good and the bad isn't what the thread is for, then the mods should stick a rule on it saying no replies , put advertisement in the thread title and let it be.

i get the impression some people are way too close to those opening this to discuss objectively. that's fine too. long as we all know where we stand

I agree, for what should really be a positive thread about new openings and potential employment for people it attracts way too much negativity.

I reacted to your statement about blind optimism, for one reason only, we do not know the cost base, which makes any argument pointless and meaningless, I often watch as people discuss the virtues and pitfalls of new businesses wondering how can anyone do that without knowing the cost base.

I do not know the family personally, I know of them, I simply respect entrepreneurship in all its forms...likewise, I could accuse people of being negative out of some form of petite begrudgery but what would be the point of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Well said. The same old suspects are given way too much free reign when it comes to shouting down posters that dare to sway from the 110% positive narrative.

Well said. The same old suspects are given way too much free reign when it comes to shouting down posters that dare to sway from the 110% positive narrative.

The irony of that is, I only got involved after another poster responded to a few negative posts and was immediately accused of blind optimism...

This is a Limerick Business Opening thread, there is no need for any kind of arguments...we are not going to make or break the venture so why bother discuss it, there is too much information we don't have to be able to know either way.

Can it not just be an informative thread helping out people who maybe looking for work as well a notice board for potential customers? Cause that what I thought it was...it would nearly be funny if the thread was closed due to arguments...only in Limerick.

Whatever about my posts, Vanquished cannot be accused of shouting down posters...he merely said it is a great location...I just challenged the unnecessary negativity for the valid reason I pointed out.

The irony of that is, I only got involved after another poster responded to a few negative posts and was immediately accused of blind optimism...
    t.

not trying to argue every point with you, but hang on. the blind optimism was in response to a call to quit the negativity for one observation that wasn't overly positive. and i didn't claim the poster was being blindly optimistic.

the only absolute accusation was of negativity

give me grief if you want, but base it on what was said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

J@ysus folkslads, this isn't an economics or business forum, it's a regional forum, there's no need to get involved in an indepth discussion as to the merits of a business plan here, feel free to go to the relevant forums if you want to discuss it there. Please don't make me put on my mod hat

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Regarding parking. Park on the road. Free street parking on a wide road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Icon have bought Angel Lane or close to it.open it for student and younger crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

bigpink wrote: »
    Icon have bought Angel Lane or close to it.open it for student and younger crowd

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Really? Couldn't see Smyths caring to much tbh...

Did see them installing new alarms in there today.

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »

My brother is in the bar trade he was telling me.Its on on the proprty wrbsites he said aswell but gone now
    Icon own symths its to get a venue for younger crowd and to stop a rival club opening

In symths or angel lane

In symths or angel lane

Angel Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

My brother is in the bar trade he was telling me.Its on on the proprty wrbsites he said aswell but gone now
    Icon own symths its to get a venue for younger crowd and to stop a rival club opening

Any word on when it might be reopening?

Any word on when it might be reopening?

Friend of mine, currently works icon, was told he'd be moving there tuesdays and thursdays shortly.

RAG week is when theyre planning a giant launch party..

Apparently the aim is to 'crush crush'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Friend of mine, currently works icon, was told he'd be moving there tuesdays and thursdays shortly.

RAG week is when theyre planning a giant launch party..

Apparently the aim is to 'crush crush'

To do that they'd want to be playing actually good dance music, specifically house and prog house

Students ain't going to Crush for the good dance or house music its just the popular club or the only club for them.makes sense the icon buying it students during the week and people they don't want in the icon weekends

Students ain't going to Crush for the good dance or house music its just the popular club or the only club for them.makes sense the icon buying it students during the week and people they don't want in the icon weekends

What you're saying isn't incorrect, but have you been to crush on student nights lately? It's full of people on 'yolks' and they definitely go for the music. Crush have basically marketed themselves as the club to go to for everyone who likes dance music, and this was needed, ever since they have got a few relatively big names to do sets there

No way they fill a club without chart pop etc ever y Tuesday and Thursday night.been a few Thursday nights.Thought the drugs crowds saved themselves for the DIE night or any alt nights

• Advertisement

No way they fill a club without chart pop etc ever y Tuesday and Thursday night.been a few Thursday nights.Thought the drugs crowds saved themselves for the DIE night or any alt nights

Nope lol. On the main floor they'll play the usual chart stuff, as well as dance mixed in, but if they've other DJs on in the others they'll be playing decent music. I don't like the club in general either, mind you. I think it draws a few fairly questionable characters a lot of the times I've been there...
    knackers

Advertisement