Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Suppose good to have competition but ain't room for both clubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

bigpink wrote: »
    Suppose good to have competition but ain't room for both clubs

Location's a massive bonus for angel lane, that'll play a large part in what I definitely think will make it a success. Even though crush isn't exactly a hike away, it's still easier to go to a different place (molly's lol) if you got refused from angel lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

New Thai/Japanese restaurant and cocktail bar opening on Bedford Row, named Clovers.

New wine opening in the archway by papa ginos
    2 more indian pizza kebab places opening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is nothing sacred in this town?

I've pointed out before how many new businesses are just copies of previous good ideas.

Another new Japanese restaurant after the success of Taikichi and a wine bar which I'm sure will have exposed stone work and be dimly lit with candles! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

It's actually hilarious now with the copycat businesses

Where are these people even getting the funding to open up more and more restaurants and take aways? It's actually not even funny anymore, does anyone do any market research before opening new businesses in Limerick or what?

Some amount of them kebab pizza places all the exact same

Fcuk it, I'm opening up a Japanese Kebab/Coffee/Euro store

I'll be the next Donald Trump.

Fcuk it, I'm opening up a Japanese Kebab/Coffee/Euro store

I'll be the next Donald Trump.

Sushi kebabs actually mightn't be bad

• Advertisement

All of them seem to be indians/aisans running them wonder why no Irish people open them if so popular

Proper Turkish kebab place would be nice

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sushi kebabs actually mightn't be bad

Especially if they only cost €2.00!

An File wrote: »
    Especially if they only cost €2.00!

You can get them for free if you hang around outside Crush87 on Sat night...so I hear:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 domfitz

New online shop opened selling pest control products like rat and mouse traps and poison,traps, fly traps and all that kind of stuff.
    Its called verminstop.ie, based in Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bigpink wrote: »
    Proper Turkish kebab place would be nice

There is one across the milk market, forgot what its called right now. They are a Turkish crowd and the kebaps are as proper as they get. And the baklava is to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

There is one across the milk market, forgot what its called right now. They are a Turkish crowd and the kebaps are as proper as they get. And the baklava is to die for.

Turkuaz I presume although the Adani place next door is run by turks as well and is not bad. On the subject of Baklava there's a guy selling excellent (really) stuff in the market on Fridays (maybe other days also).

I remember thinking for years that a Japanese restaurant would do brilliantly in Limerick, should have realised though that any good and successful idea is ripped off and diluted immediately. A Thai/Japanese restaurant is like a Mexican/Italian, the two cuisines don't have much in common, they're just trying to appeal to as many as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

On the subject of Baklava there's a guy selling excellent (really) stuff in the market on Fridays (maybe other days also).
    Got turkish delight and a selection of baklava and bits from him on a Saturday. Apple and cinnamon was my favourite.

Got turkish delight and a selection of baklava and bits from him on a Saturday. Apple and cinnamon was my favourite.

Whereabouts in the market?

Turkuaz I presume although the Adani place next door is run by turks as well and is not bad. On the subject of Baklava there's a guy selling excellent (really) stuff in the market on Fridays (maybe other days also).

I remember thinking for years that a Japanese restaurant would do brilliantly in Limerick, should have realised though that any good and successful idea is ripped off and diluted immediately. A Thai/Japanese restaurant is like a Mexican/Italian, the two cuisines don't have much in common, they're just trying to appeal to as many as possible

I'm still glad for anything different. When I came over here in 93, garlic hadn't been discovered yet in Ireland. The spice section of the supermarket was salt and pepper. Coffee came from jars. You could get lasagne in some of the more adventurous restaurants. It as lasagane sheets with minced beef and ketchup with a bit of cheese on top. There where no danish to be had in the entire country. Food was basically chips or carvery. There was one type of sausage, one type of cheese and one type of bread. Two years before coming to Ireland, I had visited Romania, the Czech republic and Yugoslavia. I the food there was immeasurably better and more varied. I think having too many Japanese restaurants is a good complaint and huge progress.

• Advertisement

Whereabouts in the market?

On Fridays he is opposite the coffee shop and the chocolate shop, this is seriously good Baklava, I'm not into Turkish delight but my missus says it's pretty good as well.

I'm still glad for anything different. When I came over here in 93, garlic hadn't been discovered yet in Ireland. The spice section of the supermarket was salt and pepper. Coffee came from jars. You could get lasagne in some of the more adventurous restaurants. It as lasagane sheets with minced beef and ketchup with a bit of cheese on top. There where no danish to be had in the entire country. Food was basically chips or carvery. There was one type of sausage, one type of cheese and one type of bread. Two years before coming to Ireland, I had visited Romania, the Czech republic and Yugoslavia. I the food there was immeasurably better and more varied. I think having too many Japanese restaurants is a good complaint and huge progress.

It's just that if somebody opens a Vietnamese pho joint and it goes well we'll be overrun, or a Peruvian ceviche (mmmmmm) gaff. We need more variety, how in hell do all those Chinese places stay open??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

On the subject of Baklava there's a guy selling excellent (really) stuff in the market on Fridays (maybe other days also).

Sefik's baklavas are very, very good.

He is a regular on Friday's and also on Saturday's - he is usually located just opposite the coffee place on both days.

Here is The Irish Independent's food critic's review of his produce:
    http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/how-love-helped-bring-us-a-taste-of-the-exotic-30221307.html

It's just that if somebody opens a Vietnamese pho joint and it goes well we'll be overrun, or a Peruvian ceviche (mmmmmm) gaff. We need more variety, how in hell do all those Chinese places stay open??

Vietnamese or Peruvian? Now that would be interesting.

Vietnamese or Peruvian? Now that would be interesting.

Vietnam and Peru aren't much further away from each other than Thailand and Japan I'm exaggerating Perhaps we could kill the two birds with the one stone "Ho Chi MInca's"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Its funny in a way.. we've all been saying there are too many coffee places around town with a flood of them opening in the last 6 months or so. I was around the city centre today for the first time on a normal Saturday in ages, and most of them were busy. Every time I passed Costa, there was a queue of 10-15 people at the counter (which I find mad). Gloria Jeans and the one that used to be BBs down by Zweton, all busy enough. The buttery, Hook and Ladder also ...and the new one down the back of Dunnes near Poor Mans Kilkee which I didnt even know was there seemed to have a nice few people seated there

Similarly, Aroi was packed..Kaya was busy..(got a lovely thai herb and chilli dish there..nom nom)
    Same for Bambu, Woking tipping along and Taikichi had one empty table with a reserved sign on it.

Maybe the choice is generating business. Its definitely driving standards up and there is fairly decent selection to meet most tastes.

Not a big fan of kebabs, but I do like turkuaz but didnt really notice if these were open or busy.

I think the choice is great. Some improvements in the retail offering and you are really getting places. On that note, even Cruises St, seems to be getting a bit of a lift with less empty units than I have seen for a while. Will also say that the city centre streets were also very clean...which is the first time I noticed that

Vietnam and Peru aren't much further away from each other than Thailand and Japan I'm exaggerating Perhaps we could kill the two birds with the one stone "Ho Chi MInca's"

Brilliant, that is a catchy name.
    Chả Cá Thăng Long with cocoa and chilli might take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

QuickPick opened on Henry St. opposite Subway. a lad in tesco told me they're open 24/7 anyone knows if that's the case? if so it's the only shop open 24/7 apart from petrol stations, and locate within walking distance from CC

24/7? Up there?

Good luck with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah, I was there last week and there was a sign at the till saying open 24/7!

Advertisement