Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Saw on Facebook that "Clover" (Thai Restaurant Japanese Restaurant) on Bedford Row is opening another restaurant in Raheen in the next few weeks.

What's that old saying about running before you can walk? :P

Permanent TSB going into Art and Hobby/ACC Bank units on O'Connell Street. :)

I wonder if they'll close the William Street branch?

Probably but I hope not. That's my taxi drop of point when I go boozin and I need to use an ATM beforehand :D That and Patrick street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

Sarsfield street are moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Very good news, that building on O Connell Street looks terrible at present.

Our main street should always be a priority.

• Advertisement

adaminho wrote: »

I forgot about the branch on Sarsfield Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Another blow for Sarsfield Street. 7 or 8 years ago it had a good few quality retailers. Now we've got the likes of two tanning salons side by side attracting a predictable amount of scummy oompa loompas! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Pity, its a lovely building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Being back the imperial bakery. The town has so many old empty bank buildings that are too big for anything else but hopefully tsb being smaller might fill quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mickey Martins opening a pub I heard in Catherine street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

bigpink wrote: »
    Mickey Martins opening a pub I heard in Catherine street

Is that Bourke's, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Waggaboo wrote: »
    Is that Bourke's, I wonder?

That's what initially sprang to my mind too. The only other realistic options I can think of, on that street, are the old Daffys and Desmond Arms/High Stool premises - and they're more than likely in rag order.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Minister Michael Noonan, on behalf of the Government and the IDA, will announce details for a planned R&D Centre for Dell in Limerick later this morning. This investment will lead to the creation of 100 new R&D roles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Minister Michael Noonan, on behalf of the Government and the IDA, will announce details for a planned R&D Centre for Dell in Limerick later this morning. This investment will lead to the creation of 100 new R&D roles.

That should just about cover for the 100 or so that have been left go over the last 12 months. The make 7 or 8 people redundant every month, but the numbers each time are so low that it's never picked up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

That should just about cover for the 100 or so that have been left go over the last 12 months. The make 7 or 8 people redundant every month, but the numbers each time are so low that it's never picked up on.

Made redundant or just contracts not renewed?

Treepole wrote: »
    Made redundant or just contracts not renewed?

Made redundant.

no matter how good the news, there's always some moaners...

no matter how good the news, there's always some moaners...

If a company is creating new jobs then fair enough. Dell are announcing jobs while they quietly let others go. By this time next year they'll probably have left as many go as they employ. It's good PR, but it doesn't improve the job situation locally.

Made redundant.

you forgot to mention most of those were voluntary redundancies and ivolved low-skilled personnel. eve if you call it replacing, then 100 average jobs for 100 hi-tech R&D jobs is a step forward

you forgot to mention most of those were voluntary redundancies and ivolved low-skilled personnel. eve if you call it replacing, then 100 average jobs for 100 hi-tech R&D jobs is a step forward

There haven't been low skilled personnel working there since 2009. I worked there long enough and I still know plenty of people out there. Very few of the redundancies are voluntary and quite a lot of them were highly skilled IT jobs.

• Advertisement

edit: nvm, live off your anecdotal evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

There haven't been low skilled personnel working there since 2009. I worked there long enough and I still know plenty of people out there. Very few of the redundancies are voluntary and quite a lot of them were highly skilled IT jobs.

So I guess the only accurate measure is the car park. Check back in 6 months and then a year. Is it more full or not? they invested in charge points for electric vehicles this week... so some of the cars may be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

yankinlk wrote: »
    So I guess the only accurate measure is the car park. Check back in 6 months and then a year. Is it more full or not? they invested in charge points for electric vehicles this week... so some of the cars may be smaller.

bike to work scheme?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Hook and Ladder are opening in Corbally tomorrow.

Looking in the windows it looks like there is a large investment gone into the place.

Best of luck to them, it will be interesting to see if it does well

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Hook and Ladder are opening in Corbally tomorrow.

Looking in the windows it looks like there is a large investment gone into the place.

Best of luck to them, it will be interesting to see if it does well

Fair play to them. I hope it's a big success.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They're also opening in he castetroy shopping centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Still haven't been to hook and ladder are they as people say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

By the way does anybody know what the 3(formally O2) call centre in castletroy is like to work?

They seem to be constantly looking for people for immediate start (without interview which i find odd). I know they are short term contracts but there must be a heck of turnover of staff which i suppose is normal for call centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Firefox11 wrote: »
    By the way does anybody know what the 3(formally O2) call centre in castletroy is like to work?

They seem to be constantly looking for people for immediate start (without interview which i find odd). I know they are short term contracts but there must be a heck of turnover of staff which i suppose is normal for call centres.

I know a few people that have worked for them in the past. I'd say if you want something short term go for it. None of the lads I know left of their own accord. They seem to just give people a certain length of contract and get rid of them after that.

On Hook and Ladder, I really hope it works out for them as they have a nice place in town but going from 1 place to 3 in the space of what 12 months? Seems very fast if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bigpink wrote: »
    Still haven't been to hook and ladder are they as people say?
    Castletroy SC branch stocks neither hooks nor ladders :mad:

Advertisement