Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

There also appears to be work going on in the unit next to Leonidas so maybe there's finally something moving in there.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Bored_lad wrote: »
    There also appears to be work going on in the unit next to Leonidas so maybe there's finally something moving in there.

If it's the old chemist, I believe the tourist office is moving in there. Will try to find link later.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

If it's the old chemist, I believe the tourist office is moving in there. Will try to find link later.

Saved you the bother

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/tourist-office-to-move-to-limerick-s-main-thoroughfare-1-6734530

It's all well and good moving the tourist office to O'Connell street and I think that location is better to where it currently is. But what is going to happen the old building they say the only have a short tern lease and Shannon Development own it. Does this mean we are going to end up with more closed down buildings becoming run down around Authors Key?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's all well and good moving the tourist office to O'Connell street and I think that location is better to where it currently is. But what is going to happen the old building they say the only have a short tern lease and Shannon Development own it. Does this mean we are going to end up with more closed down buildings becoming run down around Authors Key?

A nice restaurant would actually be perfect in the spot where the tourist office is currently situated.

Hopefully they find something for it quick if it is left unoccupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^

KFC ?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not sure if mentioned but UPC have opened a shop where Vodafone used to be on Cruises Street. That unit has been empty at least 7 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^

KFC ?? :)

Rumoured to be opening in Jetland soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rumoured to be opening in Jetland soon.

Interesting! I'd assume they'd take the unit Costa used to use, the opposite end to the pharmacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

An File wrote: »
    Interesting! I'd assume they'd take the unit Costa used to use, the opposite end to the pharmacy?

I've heard as a drive-thru, but that's all I know to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

An File wrote: »

Your man who owns the costas in limerick owns quite a few kfcs around Munster as well. They left jetland on bad terms.

I personally don't think a restaurant would work in the old Tourist office spot for some reason I just wouldn't think the building would be suitable as well as the location I'm probably wrong though. One thing I think might work is a late opening cafe which does good quality nice food would work there. If you got the design and fit out right in the place and got a few seats out side and managed to get rid of the youths I think it would work quite well. One thing I'd worry about with that building is the fit out might be expensive due to the size and design of it although I've never been inside it myself I'm ashamed to say it also looks quite dark in there from the outside.

Its good to see UPC moving into that unit on Crusies street as you said it has been derelict for seven years at this stage. I passed it the other day and I have to say from the outside the shop does look quite clean and modern which is good. Hopefully its a permanent shop and won't close in a few months leaving the unit derelict again.

I also thinks it great Permanent TSB are moving to the old ACC bank building as that has been a huge eyesore since it closed down and never looked good even when Art and Hobby had moved in hopefully the outside will be given a huge facelift. Does anyone know where Art and Hobby plan to move to? Its a shame two units will be left empty though.

I think its great to see all of this work and new shops etc. opening in the city and its only upwards from here hopefully the city will be restored to its former glory soon. However there are still a few a more shops I think we need in Limerick such as more men's clothes shops such as Topman, more shops in the more expensive goods markets such as Brown Thomas, more niche shops and a gourmet supermarket/bakery/deli which does good take away food as well as speciality ingredients and food stuffs.

Lastly sorry this really has turned out to be a long post I think something needs to be done about the shop fronts of certain stores as some of them look awful and really need a facelift and others need to get someone in the design their windows for them or show them how to do it themselfs and they are completely uninviting and not appealing at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

tl:dr :D

I could imagine an amazing gastro pub in there. It would be amazing on a sunny day with loads of seats out front.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Shannon Developement no longer exists, thankfully, wound up years ago, no loss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jbkenn wrote: »
    Shannon Developement no longer exists, thankfully, wound up years ago, no loss.

Actually it was only would up last November when it was absorbed into the new Shannon Airport Development Company

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Agree something needs to happen quickly to that site on Arthurs Quay Park...could be empty for quite a while otherwise..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Actually it was only would up last November when it was absorbed into the new Shannon Airport Development Company

And this being Ireland, usually only the sign over the door changes. When the healthboards became the HSE, that's exactly what took place.
    Any public service in Ireland is unreformable by law and therefore cannot change. Not only are the people the same, but if you where to introduce any changes of their working practices, they would just strike until everything was back to normal, only with more pay and more holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Having the tourist office open on a Saturday and Sunday in the season would help too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

And this being Ireland, usually only the sign over the door changes. When the healthboards became the HSE, that's exactly what took place.
    Any public service in Ireland is unreformable by law and therefore cannot change. Not only are the people the same, but if you where to introduce any changes of their working practices, they would just strike until everything was back to normal, only with more pay and more holidays.

Not sure that is the case here. I worked closely with a few people who worked in Shannon Development and they have all been moved to the Revenue, HSE etc. No part to play for them in the Shannon Group. Still deal with a few, but their roles have all changed. The old building in Shannon is also empty and for sale / rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jofspring wrote: »
    A nice restaurant would actually be perfect in the spot where the tourist office is currently situated.

Hopefully they find something for it quick if it is left unoccupied.

Maybe a Wetherspoons if it's big enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Surprised I didn't read anything about Tinseltown coming to Limerick as mentioned online today.

Or is that one big joke?

Is a big-budget blockbuster heading for Limerick?
    http://jrnl.ie/2102246

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Surprised I didn't read anything about Tinseltown coming to Limerick as mentioned online today.

Or is that one big joke?

It was in the news a few months ago that Ardmore Studios want to buy the old EMF2 factory in Castletroy and turn it into a studio, so it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

so is Ivans open today or is it next Thursday?
    How'd's it look if today??

Got a few bits from the little coffee shop by the potato markets (Jody's) today. The coffee was grand but there's better available around town, probably just not my brand of choice. His eclairs and macaroons are excellent, the choux pastry was a little bit heavy but still very good. I'll definitely be back for more, a little out of my way unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

New top part motor factors opened in the old indepension premises opposite the cement factory. They used to be on clare street where urlan tv are now. Obviously a good sign for Limerick that they are reopening after leaving a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beer Baron wrote: »

Or is that one big joke?

We do have a limerick man that is fairly well known in Hollywood, Norman Walshe, his father is a taxi driver and gave me a lift home one night, telling me about his work. Thought he was joking until he told me to google it, and I did:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/features/the-leader-interview-norman-walshe-1-2181523

He's working on Penny Dreadful too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

so is Ivans open today or is it next Thursday?
    How'd's it look if today??

Got a few bits from the little coffee shop by the potato markets (Jody's) today. The coffee was grand but there's better available around town, probably just not my brand of choice. His eclairs and macaroons are excellent, the choux pastry was a little bit heavy but still very good. I'll definitely be back for more, a little out of my way unfortunately.

Yeah it opened today. I dropped in around 3.30 and the place was packed. Mayhem in both car-parks as everyone seems to have arrived (myelf included) to check out the new shop at the same time :-)

The coffee-bar to the front was busy and the shop itself looks very attractive. The hot food bar had a queue and the food looked pretty nice at first glance anyway. Freshly-baked bread for sale too.

The exterior is pretty attractive also. Glad to see the 'Ivan's' name is retained.

I hope it does well. That place was such a landmark in it's day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What's the story with the old dell factory being turned into a filming studio. Is it definite?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

nope. not yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

New top part motor factors opened in the old indepension premises opposite the cement factory. They used to be on clare street where urlan tv are now. Obviously a good sign for Limerick that they are reopening after leaving a few years ago.
    Indespension have moved out to near Conlans BMW, if anyone is interested.
    Decent crowd to deal with if you need to rent a trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What's the story with the old dell factory being turned into a filming studio. Is it definite?

which one? Havent regeneron taking the raheen site, and dell are still in the one across the road?

Advertisement