Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

bennyl10 wrote: »
    But the Starbucks jobs advertised for last week are for an outlet in the station.
    Same starbucks as in cork.

But there are no closed oulets in the station at the moment so that would mean them taking over the current coffee shop there. It would also mean they would be going into a completely undesirable location that is going to be undergoing major renovations and building work for the first at least year of their lease. I highly doubt this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Bored_lad wrote: »
    But there are no closed oulets in the station at the moment so that would mean them taking over the current coffee shop there. It would also mean they would be going into a completely undesirable location that is going to be undergoing major renovations and building work for the first at least year of their lease. I highly doubt this.

Thats what was said today, i even (metaphorically) took a step back when it was said, but was definitely train station.
    Now maybe he meant near train station, and thus maybe thomas street, but train station was what was put across and actually said..

Came on here straight, because i was convinced Thomas St was what theyd been planning..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It's quite possible that when the new station building and all the renovation work is finished a Starbucks kiosk would go there, but I can't imagine them hiring for that at this stage. Seems to be fairly certain going on what was said in The Leader that it would be on Thomas St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Redderneck wrote: »
    I'll meet yiz in Unter.

Consider yourself out-lamed.

If you go to Starbucks just say "I'll meet you unter uber".
    I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Übertreib es nicht !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Übertreib es nicht !

Es wird dir zu bunt? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

All these Uber jobs seem to require college degrees (or desired at very least). Poor saps such as I who just aren't meant for big fancy college educations just can't seem to get an inch these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was in the station recently and platform 5 is closed so maybe it's in there that they are going?

Would it be more or less likely a success than Colbert Station for Starbucks?

Honestly, I didn't think that post even needed a winky smiley!:o

AMT does really well in the station so I think that a Starbucks will definitely do well. I wouldn't be surprised if people started to go to the station just for Starbucks.

Nandos going into Wickes just sounds stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Looks like it will be in the station after all. Either a second one is going in to Thomas street or The Limerick Leader is wrong (wouldnt be a first)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

AMT does really well in the station so I think that a Starbucks will definitely do well. I wouldn't be surprised if people started to go to the station just for Starbucks.

Nandos going into Wickes just sounds stupid.

Don't mind starbucks, I'd hardly go there to get a train.

What is an amt?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Don't mind starbucks, I'd hardly go there to get a train.

What is an amt?

It's a coffee chain, it's in lots of stations and airports

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Starbucks is a redeveloped Colbert would do well

Maybe they are getting reduced rates (or free rent) in the station until the redevelopments are complete. Starbucks at the station would generate a lot of extra footfall and potential business for the station. Instead of people getting the bus from Dunnes or UL they may go to the station for Starbucks. As well as people just going there because its Starbucks or using it as a meeting spot. Hopefully they have late hours :)

The area needs development badly though and my concern would be the block of houses leading to Careys road. Has anyone seen actual plans to deal with that eye sore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

vkid wrote: »

To be fair The Leader arent providing an update on Starbucks. They are merely recalling information they already gave.

And as pointed out it wouldnt be the first time they where completely wrong. Why would Starbucks be opening two stores at one time??

A poster here said they went to the interview and have been told that its in the station............................

So we take the word of people interviewing candidates for the job or we take the word of the Leader who have zero quotes from anyone at Starbucks???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair The Leader arent providing an update on Starbucks. They are merely recalling information they already gave.

And as pointed out it wouldnt be the first time they where completely wrong. Why would Starbucks be opening two stores at one time??

A poster here said they went to the interview and have been told that its in the station............................

So we take the word of people interviewing candidates for the job or we take the word of the Leader who have zero quotes from anyone at Starbucks???

They did quote Michael Noonan as saying the Starbucks is going in the ground floor of the Thomas Street building with Uber taking over the rest. It was in a fairly wishy-washy article about 250 jobs going to the Hanging Gardens building about a week ago I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Read the article, they're not recalling information they already gave, they're quoting Gordon Kearney who's letting the building.

“We can confirm that we have let the four floors of offices [to Uber], and we have agreed the letting of the corner unit to Starbuck’s. We are negotiating with other retailerts for the remaining units. They are all good brands,” said Mr Kearney.

Starbucks are known for opening in multiple places. They opened two places in Cork City within a couple of weeks and there are about 10 Starbucks within a 10 minute walk of O'Connell Bridge in Dublin.

Id be very very shocked if they opened two within a couple of weeks of each other in such close proximity. This would surely damage the sales impact of each opening.

The train station one is opening the first week of September anyway. They are "TRAINing" (train puns :)) staff instore for about a week or so before opening

• Advertisement

Starbucks are known for opening in multiple places. They opened two places in Cork City within a couple of weeks and there are about 10 Starbucks within a 10 minute walk of O'Connell Bridge in Dublin.

Reminds me of when I had arranged to meet a potential other half at Starbucks on Westmoreland Street in Dublin. I waited for maybe 20 minutes before looking out the window and realising there was another Starbucks directly across the street. I just got across the street as she was leaving. Hell hath no fury and all that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRz3vfRFfs4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The train station one is opening the first week of September anyway. They are "TRAINing" (train puns :)) staff instore for about a week or so before opening

Would be great to have a big brand like Starbucks in the city so hopefully things don't get derailed with the station move....fingers crossed it's full steam ahead either way....this could really help get the city back on track....anyway that's my train of thought, I'm sure Starbucks have a good (loco)motive for coming to Limerick.

(Sincere apologies for the above - I had about 2 hours sleep last night :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I passed through the station earlier today, but didn't see any works happening. Anyway, let that not get in the way of some idle, uninformed speculation! ;-) So on the assumption there is going to be a Starbucks at the station, where might it go?

The AMT stall? It's a bit small for a Starbucks, but I have seen very small ones elsewhere.

The newspaper/magazine shop? At would be a pity: I often buy a paper there before getting on the train.

The rail travel centre? What's the purpose of that place? Do they do anything that you can't get at the ticket window or online?

The bus ticket office? Again, what's their purpose? There's a separate ticket window, plus some ticket machines.

The large, existing café? (What's it called again?) I sort of like that place, so would be sad for it to be replaced by a Starbucks.

In the middle of the concourse? There's room for a smallish stand.

Upstairs in the station building? Doubt if whatever's upstairs is used for much.

Outside, by a bus shelter? Would be a bit miserable queuing up on a day like this.

Anywhere else?

To be honest assuming that information is correct about the station it could only be going to one place and that is the existing cafe. Not much work would need to be done to it. But I would have to assume work would need to start in the next 2 weeks if it is to happen. I've heard that its opening the first week of September with training before that so it only leaves next week and the week after at a push to make alterations.

Does anyone know anybody working in the station? maybe they could shed some light?

Louche Lad wrote: »
    The large, existing café? (What's it called again?) I sort of like that place, so would be sad for it to be replaced by a Starbucks

Platform 5 is closed up at the moment so that's where I think it's going. All the windows are covered up and there's a sign saying "closed for renovations".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If the Thomas Street location is being confirmed by the Leader through directly naming and quoting the real estate agents handling the Starbucks tenancy, than why should the validity of that be questioned?

No reason why more outlets won't follow suit including Colbert if Starbucks deems such a location profitable. Cork already has Opera Lane, Princes St and 2 out in Mahon opening in quick succession so no reason why Limerick can't absorb more than one either. I'm sure the Crescent is also on their hit list although Butlers did get in there before them with a lovely new cafe.

UK chain Caffe Nero also has started expanding in Dublin so perhaps a Limerick location is next...!

It's amazing how hooked on coffee people are that the city can support a few Starbucks outlets and all the other cafés.

ongarboy wrote: »
    If the Thomas Street location is being confirmed by the Leader through directly naming and quoting the real estate agents handling the Starbucks tenancy, than why should the validity of that be questioned?

Someone actually going for a job there was told by the person interviewing them that the store would be in Colbert. That is surely closer to Starbucks saying it than a guy trying to rent more units and a paper that has got things wrong a lot in the past........................

Anyway I am the eternal optimist so I am going with the assumption that Starbucks Colbert station will be open for business in September (Info I have gotten from ANOTHER source) in Platform 5 (since it has been up for let) and Starbucks Thomas street will be opening for at the latest Christmas

http://www.daft.ie/commercial/colbert-train-station-limerick-city-limerick/222081/

Let Agreed since June

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    It's amazing how hooked on coffee people are that the city can support a few Starbucks outlets and all the other cafés.

I will always go back to my small coffee shops but I do like Costa and will use Starbucks.

BUT not all small coffee shops are worth supporting either. Being a small company doesnt automatically mean you have nice staff or a nice owner

Advertisement