Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Heard an interview last weekend with the Irish representitive of wetherspoons and he listed a load of places they never mentioned Limerick. Cork, Galway and even Carlow mentioned. Surely we would be on the list.

Agree about Clohesseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 leo505050

I seen your man that owns Enzo's talking with the builders in the former Munster rugby store site, O'Connell St. two separate occasions in fact. Maybe Enzo's are going to relocate. Their business hasn't been as busy as was in previous years although the takeaway side still does really well. I think it'd be great if the restaurant side moved but the takeaway side was kept in William St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ongarboy wrote: »
    Best of luck in your new job! It does seem a slightly peripheral location but i guess the fact it's a joint bus and train station means it does get a constant flow of passengers. I'd say AMT Coffee which has a kiosk there will not be pleased at the new competition!

Separately, Paddy Powers is taking Ladbrokes old shop next to South's pub.

Perhaps it is all part of the redesign of the station, all together in the one package. I am sure they sought out Starbucks and perhaps are giving them very good rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

leo505050 wrote: »
    I seen your man that owns Enzo's talking with the builders in the former Munster rugby store site, O'Connell St. two separate occasions in fact. Maybe Enzo's are going to relocate. Their business hasn't been as busy as was in previous years although the takeaway side still does really well. I think it'd be great if the restaurant side moved but the takeaway side was kept in William St.
    The one thing that hurts them is the lack of parking for people getting takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If he was moving or opening up a second he'd nearly need to be a late night takeaway as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

BobMc wrote: »
    heard some form of fish and chip restaurant

Heard this about the munster store some time back looks likely if you've seen him !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Not another bloody takeaway. O'Connell St is in big enough trouble as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That block is becoming Limerick's junk food strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

zulutango wrote: »

Aye. The 2euro shops are now being replaced with a glut of coffee shops and fast food joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

zulutango wrote: »

It's been claimed that by 2030, Ireland will become the most obese country in the world. Fairly hard to argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

jaxxx wrote: »
    It's been claimed that by 2030, Ireland will become the most obese country in the world. Fairly hard to argue with that.

Just in time for the Limerick 2030 plan so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

jaxxx wrote: »

Flab City 2030 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Did anyone notice a new massage parlour pop up near Pery St??

Phoenix massage or something along those lines??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

pone2012 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice a new massage parlour pop up near Pery St??

Phoenix massage or something along those lines??

Pop up and massage parlour, a poor choice of words.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Pop up and massage parlour, a poor choice of words.

Perhaps :D I was just curious as I havent noticed it in the past..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

pone2012 wrote: »
    Perhaps :D I was just curious as I havent noticed it in the past..

Not the popping up I hope?

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Not the popping up I hope?

Indeed not..I was just curious about it? Ive heard there were a few places in limerick that were only acting as covers for places that do "extras" but i was unsure if this was another one or an actual legitimate parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

There's a Top service station opening where Great Gas were on the Dock Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

source wrote: »
    There's a Top service station opening where Great Gas were on the Dock Road.

May they do better than their predecessor. Can't see much room on the Dock Road for yet another filling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

May they do better than their predecessor. Can't see much room on the Dock Road for yet another filling station.

That last place seemed to put a big effort in initially when kitting out the place with the deli, but seemed to put in zero effort after that. Shelves were always empty and it was pretty uninviting looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will probably end up the same as the last place. Initially introduce cheap fuel to attract customers in and then after a while price match what the other forecourts on the Dock Road charge. Competition is all good and well when there is actual competition rather than just price watching. I suppose at least it's not another Denis O'Brien owned Topez opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Inver in fairgreen are lowest around I'd say @ 139.9 for unleaded. Hopefully the new inver near punches cross will be as agressive compared to the rest around.

Anyone used Top or Inver petrol much? Noticed some stuff with Top, some good some bad, not sure if placebo/coincidence or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The old great gas station there used also close for lunch!

Inver in fairgreen are lowest around I'd say @ 139.9 for unleaded.

Two stations on the Ennis Road are 137.9.

http://www.pumps.ie/

The old great gas station there used also close for lunch!

Wow. Doing business in the 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Natural woodcrafts Ireland new shop opening on Saturday in 19 upper William street.

https://www.facebook.com/naturalwoodcraftsireland

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MrLaurel

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Natural woodcrafts Ireland new shop opening on Saturday in 19 upper William street.

https://www.facebook.com/naturalwoodcraftsireland

Nice to see a proper craft business going to that street. Hopefully will encourage others

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Nice to see a proper craft business going to that street. Hopefully will encourage others

The problem with rents and rates (anywhere really) is, they encourage only big, international franchise operations, who employ minimum staff at minimum wage and who can well afford to piss away a lot of money on stupidly massive running costs of even a small shop in as they have a very wide base and can live on paper thin margins, since they would have hundreds or thousands of shops internationally and it all adds up. Small, local and in any way independent business can go fcuk themselves unless they want to live on the tiniest sliver of very meager profits. At some stage it has been realised that we can charge silly money to businesses, if they have the base, they can afford to. It just means that opening a small shop, unless it is of the highly exclusive kind that charges telephone number amounts for very exclusive and high end items, will not enable anyone to make any kind of living. As a small to mid sized retailer you have to go online, brick and mortar shops now belong to global players. And they have helped that fact in a big way. Their margins may get squeezed, but you can be certain that putting the running of a shop out of reach for anyone but the big guys with the deep pockets was more than a happy coincidence. But city center and small, artisan, independent retailers will never happen again.

The problem with rents and rates (anywhere really) is, they encourage only big, international franchise operations, who employ minimum staff at minimum wage and who can well afford to piss away a lot of money on stupidly massive running costs of even a small shop in as they have a very wide base and can live on paper thin margins, since they would have hundreds or thousands of shops internationally and it all adds up. Small, local and in any way independent business can go fcuk themselves unless they want to live on the tiniest sliver of very meager profits. At some stage it has been realised that we can charge silly money to businesses, if they have the base, they can afford to. It just means that opening a small shop, unless it is of the highly exclusive kind that charges telephone number amounts for very exclusive and high end items, will not enable anyone to make any kind of living. As a small to mid sized retailer you have to go online, brick and mortar shops now belong to global players. And they have helped that fact in a big way. Their margins may get squeezed, but you can be certain that putting the running of a shop out of reach for anyone but the big guys with the deep pockets was more than a happy coincidence. But city center and small, artisan, independent retailers will never happen again.

Fully agree with your analysis, but what do you reckon can be done to change things? Get rid of the rates system?

Don't the French have a system where the local, small fry are protected in some way? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the result is that you have loads of artisan shops in their town centres rather than the ****ty 'brand' retailers we seem to be obsessed with attracting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Holland and Barrett have opened in the Parkway beside the 2euro store. Insomnia are opening there next week in the old Cafe Cupcake unit.

Advertisement