Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldn't get too excited, I suspect the last post was a bit of a wind up.
    It's hard to imagine an outfit like 5 guys opening at a roundabout on the Tipp road.

Well don't I feel foolish :p

Thanks Swiper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well don't I feel foolish :p

Thanks Swiper

Yes it's as credible as Nandos opening in Wicks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes it's as credible as Nandos opening in Wicks.

I know the person who started that rumour a while back. :P The fake Facebook page was a work of (trolling) art. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

An File wrote: »
    I know the person who started that rumour a while back. :P The fake Facebook page was a work of (trolling) art. :D

That was Atlantic homecare iirc?

The "Nandos in wickes" thing was something I threw out there when it briefly looked like starbucks was going to the train station AND NOT into Thomas st. I'm still slightly perplexed that the train station one opened first but not as perplexed as I would have been if the train station was chosen at the exclusion of Thomas st.

Nandos in clohessys wouldn't be a bad idea imo. Oh well we'll just have to wait for the opera centre... lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Why the incessant demand for more Fast Food joints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

because they make money?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

New Asian restaurant opening in Newtown centre, Annacotty. Three Kingdoms. company's registered address is 71 O'Connell Street.

Also new fitness centre opening in Annacotty village, at the corner where the bridal shop was. Supposedly will be offering spinning and other similar options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

New restaurant opening across from the Hurlers in Castletroy, Lana is the name I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hook & Ladder is opening their full unit in the Castletroy Shopping Center on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Any prospect of a new Backpacker/Tourist/Youth Hostel accommodation options opening up for the Limerick City Centre area in the short to medium term? Any time I have ever tried to check for Hostel Accommodation in Limerick City one is directed towards booking private rooms at the likes of Travelodge or Robins Nest but sometimes you may be travelling alone and do not wanna be hit with paying much higher room rates in the form of double occupancy supplement. This is where Hostels can be a fantastic option whereby you can usually avail of shared dormitory bedrooms which is ideal if travelling on a tight budget.

I would have thought that Limerick City & nearby suburbs can support and develop budget priced accommodation options in the form of Tourist/Backpacker Hostels for those travelling alone willing to share with other likeminded folk which is typical in most major cities/large towns not just in Ireland but all around the world too. There is a clearly an obvious gap in the market for a few Hostels in Limerick. When you look at the huge number of hostels in most cities/large towns in Ireland such as Galway, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Ennis, Killarney, Tralee, Kilkenny and so on.

They should also have an Hostel option out by newly re-developed Thomond Park too as not all punters coming into Limerick City have endless pockets for booking overnight accommodation especially if it is a busy match weekend when hotel & B+B rates may sometimes be beyond the reach of some visitors.

Limerick City Centre should have at least ONE large modern hostel again and actually I am amazed there has been no change on this for quite some time - it should be researched, promoted and developed by tourism business interests in the Limerick region as I believe it would be support from incoming tourists. I'm sure with Shannon International Airport only out the road along with Bunratty Castle, Craggaunowen etc; people might wanna stop off in Limerick City enroute to these nearby visitor attractions?

Each of the following 11 hostels are currently open in Galway City Centre alone which shows that Hostels are still hugely popular and relevant if they are hip, urban, trendy places to hang out and stay overnights along with the necessary internet/Broadband/WIFI connectivity and other vital amenities.

(1) SleepZone Galway City,
    (2) Bunk Boutique Hostel,
    (3) Kinlay House Galway,
    (4) Galway City Hostel,
    (5) Snoozles Hostel,
    (6) Savoy Hostel,
    (7) Barnacles Quay Street Hostel, Galway
    (8) Salmon Weir Hostel
    (9) Nimmos Hostel,
    (10) Celtic Tourist Hostel,
    (11) Woodquay Hostel

Limerick City & County's business community needs to fight back a lot harder and remind Tourist visitors from both at home & abroad what it has to offer in 2015 and beyond! Hostelling should form part of a major Tourism drive to bring more business into Limerick from other cities/towns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

Any prospect of a new Backpacker/Tourist/Youth Hostel accommodation options opening up for the Limerick City Centre area in the short to medium term? Any time I have ever tried to check for Hostel Accommodation in Limerick City one is directed towards booking private rooms at the likes of Travelodge or Robins Nest but sometimes you may be travelling alone and do not wanna be hit with paying much higher room rates in the form of double occupancy supplement. This is where Hostels can be a fantastic option whereby you can usually avail of shared dormitory bedrooms which is ideal if travelling on a tight budget.

I would have thought that Limerick City & nearby suburbs can support and develop budget priced accommodation options in the form of Tourist/Backpacker Hostels for those travelling alone willing to share with other likeminded folk which is typical in most major cities/large towns not just in Ireland but all around the world too. There is a clearly an obvious gap in the market for a few Hostels in Limerick. When you look at the huge number of hostels in most cities/large towns in Ireland such as Galway, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Ennis, Killarney, Tralee, Kilkenny and so on.

They should also have an Hostel option out by newly re-developed Thomond Park too as not all punters coming into Limerick City have endless pockets for booking overnight accommodation especially if it is a busy match weekend when hotel & B+B rates may sometimes be beyond the reach of some visitors.

Limerick City Centre should have at least ONE large modern hostel again and actually I am amazed there has been no change on this for quite some time - it should be researched, promoted and developed by tourism business interests in the Limerick region as I believe it would be support from incoming tourists. I'm sure with Shannon International Airport only out the road along with Bunratty Castle, Craggaunowen etc; people might wanna stop off in Limerick City enroute to these nearby visitor attractions?

Each of the following 11 hostels are currently open in Galway City Centre alone which shows that Hostels are still hugely popular and relevant if they are hip, urban, trendy places to hang out and stay overnights along with the necessary internet/Broadband/WIFI connectivity and other vital amenities.

(1) SleepZone Galway City,
    (2) Bunk Boutique Hostel,
    (3) Kinlay House Galway,
    (4) Galway City Hostel,
    (5) Snoozles Hostel,
    (6) Savoy Hostel,
    (7) Barnacles Quay Street Hostel, Galway
    (8) Salmon Weir Hostel
    (9) Nimmos Hostel,
    (10) Celtic Tourist Hostel,
    (11) Woodquay Hostel

Limerick City & County's business community needs to fight back a lot harder and remind Tourist visitors from both at home & abroad what it has to offer in 2015 and beyond! Hostelling should form part of a major Tourism drive to bring more business into Limerick from other cities/towns!
    Both travellodges in limerick are for sale if you have deep pockets, would make ok ones, though a tad far out from the city!
    Similarly the clarion suites is also still closed, though i seem to recall there talk of it being done up as either apartments or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

what about Patrick Punch, are they still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

what about Patrick Punch, are they still closed?

Being used as student accommodation now afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

A hostel needs to be in the city center. The proposed one on Cecil St would have been an ideal location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Didn't Flan Costello (of Costello's fame) buy the old Detorri's pub on Mungret St with the intention of turning it into a hostel? http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/planning/proposal-to-transform-limerick-pub-into-youth-hostel-1-5724255

I see on Facebook that Aroi are opening a joint out in Castletroy somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I see on Facebook that Aroi are opening a joint out in Castletroy somewhere

I did hear an Asian restaurant was opening in Newtown Cente. I assumed somebody was taken over Dragonfly because I didn't think there was a market for 3 Asian restaurants.

Not sure how I figured it was Aroi as it's not- oops. But below is the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LANA-Castletroy-Asian-Street-Food-1637805499791711/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not sure how I figured it was Aroi as it's not- oops. But below is the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LANA-Castletroy-Asian-Street-Food-1637805499791711/

The symbol is very very similar..

Think they're hoping people will have the same thought as yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The symbol is very very similar..

Think they're hoping people will have the same thought as yourself..

Based on the reviews on Facebook, looks like the Kaya staff are giving it 5 stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/244/R244964.pdf

Not a business opening but I see An Bord Pleanala have refused a restaurant from opening on Chapel Street/Cruises St junction (old Flax in Bloom outlet) stating that there is already an over concentration of food outlets in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Thee is a Lana restaurant in Galway that has a very similar logo to Kaya in my opinion and I've heard they are owned by the same people. So this is probably theres as well maybe. That logo is an awful lot like Aroi's however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

An File wrote: »

Nearly died laughing when it all came out....didn't they give him a voucher??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Nearly died laughing when it all came out....didn't they give him a voucher??

Yeah, I think he got to use it in Dublin or Newcastle or somewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

http://www.idaireland.com/newsroom/regeneron-announces-an-ad/

Limerick, Ireland (October 19, 2015) -- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc., (NASDAQ: REGN) a leading science-driven biopharmaceutical company, today announced that it is investing an additional $350 million in its Limerick Industrial Operations and Product Supply (IOPS) bioprocessing campus and will add another 200 jobs, bringing the total expected job creation in the Limerick area to 500 jobs and total investment to $650 million by the end of 2017.

phill106 wrote: »
    Both travellodges in limerick are for sale if you have deep pockets, would make ok ones, though a tad far out from the city!
    Similarly the clarion suites is also still closed, though i seem to recall there talk of it being done up as either apartments or similar.

I mentioned those Travelodges as they are usually what returns after an Online search for Limerick City hostels on major booking websites such as: www.Hostels.com.

The last time I stayed at a hostel in Limerick City was a large modern building on Broad Street around 2000-2005 period.

The Clarion Suites might be tied up in the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA) and I see the Clarion Hotel at Lapps Quay in Cork City sold recently for around €35million and will remain as a Clarion branded property under the Choice Ireland Hotels portfolio.

This is mad stuff - If a lot of RyanAir and other Airline carriers offer cheap budget flights going in/out of Shannon Int'l Airport there is surely part of this traffic willing to spend some time in Limerick City and while some will opt for hotels, there will also be those who would welcome having a choice of a modern hip urban hostel option provided that the location, standard of facilities/amenities/price point/clientele/atmosphere were pitched in the right way.

There must be a savvy business person with a few bob to spare that has contacts to bring new life, new jobs, new business to Ireland's capital city of the Mid-West Region in 2015/16 going forward. Make it happen Limerick City!

Treepole wrote: »
    A hostel needs to be in the city center. The proposed one on Cecil St would have been an ideal location.

Maybe the TWO Brennan Brothers Francis+John Brennan from RTÉ One TV Show: "At Your Service" should be hired to assist local entrepreneurs to set about developing the Backpacker/Tourist Business for the budget sector in the Limerick City region. I watched their repeat episode last Sunday night where they were brought in to advise the Irish Countrywomens Association (ICA) and their fine facilities/courses/membership drive. Limerick should be able to come up with a sustainable business model for at least ONE decent modern city centre hostel and possibly more hostel locations as the economy improves over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭RINO87

Need more than just a spare few bob Im afraid, would need serious private backing as the banks wouldnt touch it. Ive been seriously looking into it for the last two years and the prices are extraordinary. Insurance, fire alarms etc. It is a pity because there is so much potential but it would be a long long time before you started making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

The Stormy Teacup is going to be opening up again in the next few weeks under new ownership. That's all I can saw for now but I'll post more when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Advertisement