Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, how bout this bailout huh.

Options
  • 17-11-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Any predictions to what will be be cut if or when the EU & IMF move in ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

1st off there'll be a quota on threads about it. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

It wont make much of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Morlar wrote: »

All of our willies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Koka noodles will get more expensive. Those sons of bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

In an ideal world politicians wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Interesting question: will they cut politicians wages and expenses?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Turtyturd wrote: »
    In an ideal world politicians wages.

great point, I wonder would they reverse the stupid expenses system and the recent pay rises and possibly pay rises from the past years? surely when they see our inept politicians are possibly on more money than them it will require action!!

if they come in and don't tackle everything I will be takin to the streets over it

if nobody wants to join me then thats fair enough but that will be my breaking point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Its ok everybody...Biffo has said this morning there will be no bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

SeaFields wrote: »
    Its ok everybody...Biffo has said this morning there will be no bailout.

Everything rosy in the garden so:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Interesting question: will they cut politicians wages and expenses?

Of course they need to but how does -500 politicians' wages compare to +100,000 public sector employee wages, pension and benefits bill ? Look at our university staff on 100+K salaries. Not including top ups.

I think they will slash the public sector, reduce numbers, benefits, salaries, pensions, increase retirement age, increase taxes, introduce new taxes, slash quangoes and all govt/green policies that cost money.

I think it will be an across the boards cull of anything that costs money. The concern I have is that if all of that still is not enough and they use this as an opportunity to please the german and french public who want our corporation tax rate increased. This could become a perfect opportunity for the eu to achieve this.

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
    Everything rosy in the garden so:rolleyes:

Yep, he obviously has on the beer goggles again!

Of course they need to but how does -500 politicians' wages compare to +100,000 public sector employee wages, pension and benefits bill ? Look at our university staff on 100+K salaries. Not including top ups.

I think they will slash the public sector, reduce numbers, benefits, salaries, pensions, increase retirement age, increase taxes, introduce new taxes, slash quangoes and all govt/green policies that cost money.

I think it will be an across the boards cull of anything that costs money. The concern I have is that if all of that still is not enough and they use this as an opportunity to please the german and french public who want our corporation tax rate increased. This could become a perfect opportunity for the eu to achieve this.

I was hoping for both, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And what's the deal with airline peanuts?

I was hoping for both, to be honest.

Are you talking about corporation tax rate ? Without that we are not remotely competitive given minimum wage and all ancillary benefits, redundancy terms all those other factors companies look at when calculating where to locate, or whether to stay or move east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

AnonoBoy wrote: »

*bass slap*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

GET OFF THE STAGE!

Brendog wrote: »
    GET OFF THE STAGE!

I see a 'heckler tax' in your future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think it will be an across the boards cull of anything that costs money.

How many forums will be cut:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think they are safe enough.

gurramok wrote: »

Private ones will be relatively better off is my prediction. Public ones are screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

gurramok wrote: »

I think there'll be a HUGE tax increase on those who start gloom & doom economy threads.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I think there'll be a HUGE tax increase on those who start gloom & doom economy threads.

This is not one of those it;s the all new shiney happy 'IMF EUkin delirra' thread.

Are you talking about corporation tax rate ? Without that we are not remotely competitive given minimum wage and all ancillary benefits, redundancy terms all those other factors companies look at when calculating where to locate, or whether to stay or move east.

No no - by "both" I meant reducing public sector costs AND politican wages/expenses. The later by large chunks. At least it'll instill SOME sence of culpability and let them know that they can't get away with anything, even if the relctoate will give them the carte blanche.

Trust me, I see the value in the corporate tax rate. It did create the boom even if the administration that followed squandered it.

Trust me, I see the value in the corporate tax rate. It did create the boom even if the administration that followed squandered it.

Without wanting to sound like a calculator head from the economics forum I agree but increasing it will create a massive short term (like say to meet 4 year targets kind of short term) benefits but long term it will decrease the standard of living and general multinational private sector employment prospects for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Without wanting to sound like a calculator head from the economics forum I agree but increasing it will create a massive short term (like say to meet 4 year targets kind of short term) benefits but long term it will decrease the standard of living and general multinational private sector employment prospects for decades.

In my view corporation tax should be left as is. Minimum wage needs to be reduced, social welfare more tightly watched and quango's should be executed reviewed.

In my view corporation tax should be left as is. Minimum wage needs to be reduced, social welfare more tightly watched and quango's should be executed reviewed.

Unfortunately, that may not be up to us anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

No no - by "both" I meant reducing public sector costs AND politican wages/expenses. The later by large chunks. At least it'll instill SOME sence of culpability and let them know that they can't get away with anything, even if the relctoate will give them the carte blanche.

In reality, the IMF will hand the govt a list of things to do. Most of these will be 'easy targets' social welfare, health, education. The sad thing is that the people who are more culpuble may not feel much pain other than their 'pride'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Politicians will be paid by results, so that's one huge overhead that won't exist anymore. They'll go back to being teachers and lawyers, until they're made redundant again thanks to more cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Fizman wrote: »
    All of our willies.
    Its ok we may be able to persuade them to take a haircut...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056090544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

SeaFields wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that may not be up to us anymore.

Oh I know that, sure the world is ****ed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement