Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft on 2fm at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭AUDIE MURPHY

Inari wrote: »
    What the hell is he bringing up the UKARA & Two-Tone crap here? This is absolutely ridiculous.
    Cause that guy Derek is a clown, i know him and he hasnt a clue what he is on about, he is the worse person to have on it, i hope he reads this and listens to a recording of the show to realise the bull he was talking about, the DPM bit had me cringing and waiting for him to say something really dangerous to airsoft

So please next time Derek SHUT UP AND DONT RING ANY RADIO SHOW !!!! "B"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Gday all!! Im back from the dead. :eek:

I thought I put my foot in it for a while there?
    He was realy tryin to get a bad side of airsoft out of me, could have done better if the bugger would let me get a word in!!

I hope I did ok? Thanks for the good feed back.
    Just thought ide get on quick before some boofhead made a cock of airsoft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Just listening the piece from the start.
    I had missed most of the start this morning.

The Polish Lad running the shop in Limerick did not come across too bad at all. I was pleasntly surprised.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest I just wanted to listen to Richard. I'll apologise to Oz in advanced but from my messing with the skipping on the bar I just heard two lads talking so much pony trying to defend airosft, skipped to Mr.Smith, solid job really good and that was the end of the listen to me.

Why o why is it always Ak-47's, of course it is always going to look bad and negetive iwth an AK.

A Scar or a Masada and things would be so much better

"So Richard hold on, your telling me a 12 year old can run around a forest with a sex lobster delivered by the divine lord and unleash justice on people?"

I loved how to he tried to insinuate that a 12 year old would get the hankering for a REAL AK, you could hear in your voice bio " Are you for real ya dope, its not heroin like".

And also " Surely people will lose the plot in the forest"

Invite the wally out for a game plx, I'll even lend him my kit and pay his fee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Im sending 6 free, 1/2 day game vouchers to Colm and crew, with Diner and B&B (at discount) at the local pub.
    If he realy does like Paintball he should love Airsoft!
    (Ill give him an AK to play with) lol
    If we can get these blokes on side, we will all be doin well!

Postin em off tomorrow.

Positive, positive, positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bru.wicklow

all in all lads it wasnt too bad at all.well done ozzie and richie:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

MAD Ozzie wrote: »
    Im sending 6 free, 1/2 day game vouchers to Colm and crew, with Diner and B&B (at discount) at the local pub.
    If he realy does like Paintball he should love Airsoft!
    (Ill give him an AK to play with) lol
    If we can get these blokes on side, we will all be doin well!

Postin em off tomorrow.

Positive, positive, positive.

Masterstroke there Ozzie. Great job on the show earlier.;)

Fair play man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

thank christ Bio you went on...you could hear the disappointment in his voice that he wasn't getting anything out of you :D

great work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

I've just finished listening to the podcast, and tbh it reinforces my belief that the Colm Hayes Show is Liveline Lite.

Well done to Mad_Ozzie and BioHazRd for their intelligent and cohesive points. You both were well aware of the presenter's sensationalism and steered the conversation as best as you could.

I don't know why some of the others phoned in though. Some clearly had little information (if they did have the information, then they have a problem with communicating it). The prime example was Derek at the beginning of the show. Suggesting two-toning and the UKARA? I don't understand why people throw themselves to the lions (or lion in this case) without adequately preparing in advance for such questions and anticipating a response to other possible lines of questioning.

tl;dr: Leave the media communication to the IAA. Or Mad_Ozzie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

We should arrange a charity day next year and every site should invite their local radio , politician , garda liaison that sort of thing.One big unified national public day on all sites with airsofters doing good and being seen to do good ????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I just finished listening to the clip... well most of it, some of the cringeworthy bits I had to skip over. Well done to Richie & Rob for excellent performances and injections of proportion & common sense.

I didn't hear anyone mention that the "bullets" weigh a fifth of a gramme and only travel 50 metres, or indeed our old friend the 1JR. But that's just my hobby horse :)

What is it about CH and AKs? Puding or Stercus would have been proud of him.

Well done lads.

PS: can we all please lay off Joe Duffy? He's not actually as bad as he sounds sometimes, and defenderdude straightened him out about airsoft last year.

OzCam wrote: »

PS: can we all please lay off Joe Duffy? He's not actually as bad as he sounds sometimes, and defenderdude straightened him out about airsoft last year.

No we cant, its not simply his airsoft shows, if you listen to him most of the days his shows are absolute, 100% ,scaremongering

His recent show about student fees increasing was off particular note. Was the closest I ever came to ringing into a phone in show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 segairsoft

overall I don't see how terrible this segment was(I've only just heard it on the podcast).Not everyone who buys an AEG is involved with airsofting, those of us who are, know the general guidelines and the basic common sense of owning airsoft guns.
    Any idiot that brandishes a replica firearm in an undesignated area deserve everything they get.
    In relation to the headshots comment, i have yet to visit a site where headshot ''kills'' aren't talked/bragged about.
    The two-tone comments i don't agree with personaly, but i don't turn my nose up at them either.
    If licencing is what is needed, then let them introduce it, where is the problem with this?
    I do think perhaps colm hayes could have handled it better, i don't think he played Devils advocate well enough, (this is where we really miss Gerry Ryan).
    Perhaps a plug for the IAAF website wouldn't have gone amiss.
    just my toughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

segairsoft wrote: »
    If licencing is what is needed, then let them introduce it, where is the problem with this?
    Perhaps a plug for the IAAF website wouldn't have gone amiss.
    just my toughts.

Maybe that it would be a nightmare to enforce and also the fact airsoft guns have no serial numbers which would be required.

IAAF bit off topic don't you think?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

just finished listening to the show. well done richie, a voice of reason and a credit to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

Iv just finished listening to the podcast will done to the guy from the IAA and the guy that was on before him but what the he'll was up with your man at the start ???? And I'd like to ad to all walks of life playing the wondfull sport of Airsoft I work in in a primary care unit and have never seen any Airsoft related injuries coming into my job in the last 10 years iv worked in the HSE...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

OzCam wrote: »

Sorry Oz, I have to disagree with you.
    I have a great dislike of Joe Duffy and his style of 'journalism'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

scanlant wrote: »
    I don't know why some of the others phoned in though.

People are very quick to voice opinions. Regularly posts will appear on boards where you wonder what the hell they were on or why didn't they take a minute to compose their thoughts before posting.

On the radio the goal is ratings which means they want to goad people into calling so that the majority will continue to listen. Subject matter is irrelevant. Just have a listen to the ****e they go on about in the mornings when people are on their way to work. Most love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

In relation to the headshots comment, i have yet to visit a site where headshot ''kills'' aren't talked/bragged about.

By the sounds of things you/the people you go skirmishing with are actually aiming for the head. And if thats the case I honestly hope I never meet you in a skirmish.

Only time I've ever heard headshots being talked about on a skirmish site is during the safety brief (warning against them). Or someone saying sorry for shooting the other person in the head.

Edit: And couldn't listen through the whole thing, but thanks to those involved for sorting things out a little. And fair play to you Mad Ozzie for offering the free game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 segairsoft

How many times have you faced an opposing team member who's dug into a good position and your only option is a head shot?
    I honestly don't see what the big problem with them is, they are part of the game, if you don't like them get a helmet and a full face mask.
    I wear ESS goggles and take hits to my face, a little nip, maybe sorer in the colder weather but far from dangerous or lethal. Common sense people.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Only got to listen to the podcast now, well done to Rob and Richard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Common sense would be to stick to the rules and not aim for the head, for any reason. It's not lethal, but it is dangerous. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a rule on sites, mentioned in the safety briefing or be a bone of contention with most players.
    I've never heard anyone brag about it, but I've heard and seen plenty of telling-off sessions by marshals for doing it.

With regard to the other point you made about licensing, doing so is completely impossible. It'd be like trying to licence a Lego model, there are no parts on it that cannot be changed. Cars can be licenced because you can't change the chassis realistically. RS firearms are the same deal, there are parts that cannot be changed. Airsoft devices don't have a single part that cannot be changed or modified, which makes serialising an individual device impossible.
    For example, I have an M4 here that's a bit of an experimental rifle. I try various parts and mods on it as I make/buy them. The only remaining original part is the sling mount.

Oh, and as for the UKARA being brought up, well, I'm not going to enter into the reasons why that's the worst idea ever to grace the sport, but I will say I'm not in the least bit surprised who brought it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

How many times have you faced an opposing team member who's dug into a good position and your only option is a head shot?
    I honestly don't see what the big problem with them is, they are part of the game, if you don't like them get a helmet and a full face mask.
    I wear ESS goggles and take hits to my face, a little nip, maybe sorer in the colder weather but far from dangerous or lethal. Common sense people.

Off topic
    Do you see much value derailing this thread to defend a remark you made about headshots that was somewhat ill considered?

On topic
    Thanks to the guys that made a positive contribution on the show today. Particularly Richard the presenter's transparent attempts to try and stir up hysteria were amusing and annoying. His disappointment that the public were not rising to his bait by txt or by phone was the only highlight for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

NakedDex wrote: »
    Oh, and as for the UKARA being brought up, well, I'm not going to enter into the reasons why that's the worst idea ever to grace the sport, but I will say I'm not in the least bit surprised who brought it up.

It'll take a lot more than this to get me to voluntarily listen to talk radio, so if you wouldn't mind filling me in - is it Mr. Hotguns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The grinch who tried to steal airsoft.

• Advertisement

I dont think it was the Derek we think it is, atleast I didnt think so when I listened to the show.

Is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

TheDoc wrote: »
    I dont think it was the Derek we think it is, atleast I didnt think so when I listened to the show.

Is it?

No, it was a different Derek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Inference retracted then. I heard a Derek talking about UKARA and my brain immediately made the connection on my behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

NakedDex wrote: »
    Inference retracted then. I heard a Derek talking about UKARA and my brain immediately made the connection on my behalf.
    I think most people's did. I dropped the connotations when he said "I'm not a retailer..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭3102derek

was'nt me :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Shiva wrote: »
    No, it was a different Derek.
    I also know this *AUDIE MURPHY texted me and told me he was on.
    This guy was the last person that should of come on to represent our sport.
    Ive played Airsoft for nearly 2 years now and would never even think of going on these shows.
    These shows only take on topics and issues that they know will get the most listeners and the most reaction too.
    After Biohazard was on it only compunded the fact that we need people like him to speak for us and no one else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

davidd24 wrote: »
    I also know this clown AUDIE MURPHY texted me and told me he was on.
    This guy was the last person that should of come on to represent our sport.

The whole point of talk radio and other such Media is for people to have the freedom to express their opinion.
    Here, I’m noticing people being very critical of guys that did speak on the radio. And its almost like a very sad little Witch hunt!

Well if you think their opinions and views reflect badly on the sport, man up and get involved in the conversation, instead of running straight to your keyboard for a good moan!

I think some of the speakers came off very well, and some not so well, but I make the consideration, that none of the speakers were claiming to represent all airsofters in general.

You are a part of the Airsoft community, you didn't create the damn sport!

- Just another example of the Airsoft "Elite" having a cut at people.

If you didn’t step forward to represent your opinion, your criticisms mean Sweet F A!

It’s a typical Irish behaviour pattern, to not step out of our comfort zone, but happily pick on those who tried!

(And to point out most people text the show and the shows then call and ask you to go on air!)

McGilla wrote: »
    The whole point of talk radio and other such Media is for people to have the freedom to express their opinion.
    Here, I’m noticing people being very critical of guys that did speak on the radio. And its almost like a very sad little Witch hunt!

Well if you think their opinions and views reflect badly on the sport, man up and get involved in the conversation, instead of running straight to your keyboard for a good moan!

I think some of the speakers came off very well, and some not so well, but I make the consideration, that none of the speakers were claiming to represent all airsofters in general.

You are a part of the Airsoft community, you didn't create the damn sport!

- Just another example of the Airsoft "Elite" having a cut at people.

If you didn’t step forward to represent your opinion, your criticisms mean Sweet F A!

It’s a typical Irish behaviour pattern, to not step out of our comfort zone, but happily pick on those who tried!

(And to point out most people text the show and the shows then call and ask you to go on air!)

What are you ****ing ****ing about.....

Yes opinions matters, but most of us are aware that without proper preperation, you get torn assunder.

There is no doubting that some of the callers yesterday didnt do themselves or the sport any favours. Its nothing to do with stepping up to the plate, sometimes it takes a bit more metal to sit back and realise YOU CANT HELP. Instead of being bravado and making a fool of yourself and the sport.

And **** off with the elite ****e, I'm sick of ****heads in here bantering that phrase around for laughs. And there is also this interpretation of being a keyboard warrior. People need to get an understanding of wha tthose terms are and when to use them.

My opinion does mean somthing, but I wouldnt have called the show, because I wasnt prepared. Imagine how better that could have been if only Oz and Richard rang in, the show wouldnt have had any impact, and just been a positive marketing for airsoft.

Instead people went on unprepared, unexperienced and made silly comments and made things worse. It is not a dig at them, your missing the point . If you havnt got experience ringing in , and being rpepared, in any media avenue, then your going to get dominated.

The points were raised about how some very inappropriate things were said in "defence" of airsoft and some very incorrect information. So, yes, they are representing airsoft, obviously.

When they ring a national debate show, and are on the defence of the debate, then yeah, to the listener, they are speaking for airsofters in general.

I swear to god the mods here need to ban the word elitist and keyboard warrior or any related term cause too many dopes here have no idea what they mean or when to use the phrase.

@Mc Gilla,
    You should get over yourself mate.
    I personally know this fella and i am entitled to my opinion of what went on.
    Like ive said ive been involved in Airsoft for two years(actually more i think)and i definitely dont like to think of myself as a keyboard warrior.
    I would love to get involved more with representing the sport but honestly dont know where to start!
    I dont class myself as part of the airsoft elite and would gladly speak my mind if given the chance about the sport.
    I couldnt ring in as i was in work and im trying to keep that at the moment.
    My point was some people need to just step back from their emotions and maybe say to themselves "im not going to rise to this" because thats what the aim of these shows are for.
    With "the Right" people calling in and giving these shows no ammo we dont get a bad name.

Yes opinions matters, but most of us are aware that without proper preperation, you get torn assunder.

There is no doubting that some of the callers yesterday didnt do themselves or the sport any favours. Its nothing to do with stepping up to the plate, sometimes it takes a bit more metal to sit back and realise YOU CANT HELP. Instead of being bravado and making a fool of yourself and the sport.

And **** off with the elite ****e, I'm sick of ****heads in here bantering that phrase around for laughs. And there is also this interpretation of being a keyboard warrior. People need to get an understanding of wha tthose terms are and when to use them.

My opinion does mean somthing, but I wouldnt have called the show, because I wasnt prepared. Imagine how better that could have been if only Oz and Richard rang in, the show wouldnt have had any impact, and just been a positive marketing for airsoft.

Instead people went on unprepared, unexperienced and made silly comments and made things worse. It is not a dig at them, your missing the point . If you havnt got experience ringing in , and being rpepared, in any media avenue, then your going to get dominated.

The points were raised about how some very inappropriate things were said in "defence" of airsoft and some very incorrect information. So, yes, they are representing airsoft, obviously.

When they ring a national debate show, and are on the defence of the debate, then yeah, to the listener, they are speaking for airsofters in general.

I swear to god the mods here need to ban the word elitist and keyboard warrior or any related term cause too many dopes here have no idea what they mean or when to use the phrase.
    HERE HERE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sorry, the point of talk radio is ratings.

That minor little elephant aside, most talk shows in Ireland go for the 'shock-jock' school of ratings by simply stirring the proverbial pot. If you believe anything different, you are naievely mistaken.

Some of those who called in really did not do the Irish airsoft community any favours, and there were several comments that left the community wide open to attack by anybody astute enough to notice (of which the media in general is well populated) with half an interest in doing so. I noticed the comments as soon as they were made - and some of them were benign throw-away comments that people ordinarily wouldn't think about. If I noticed them, you can bet your @rse the media folks did too.

Someone made the point, and it needs reinforced, that folks really need to think twice before picking up that phone for these shows. Unless you have your material to hand and you know your sh*t inside and out, backwards to front and have thought about angles that the media will come at you with, then for the love of monkies, do not call. You'll likely be torn asunder.

@McGilla: I'm sorry, but your information is not correct.

Firstly, the radio & other media do NOT exist for the freedom to express anyones opinions, or anything even remotely similar. Media Companies', such as RTE, only goal & purpose is to survive. How they survive is down to them. For the majority they survive by generating advertising revenue - they get more money by getting more listeners, and how do you get more listeners? Contraversy. If you get people annoyed, they get involved. Common & cheap tactic. The media cannot survive if its sole purpose is freedom - too many people will be offended, not enjoy the broadcast, and tune out...it then naturally fades out and dies. Media organisations are structured to survive - that's why they 'Balance' all discussions. They virtually never let anything be Pro-something, with no con...too much backlash, not enough appeal to all listeners.

Secondly, when you talk about airsoft to anyone, you ARE representing the activity. I'm not sure how you think otherwise? People are going to base their opinions on what you say about Airsoft; this makes you a representative. Not only that, but by calling into a radio show you are choosing this role - this should only be done by those who have the skills to do so in order to ensure there is not a hate-brigade on airsoft.

The point about opinions meaning nothing if you didn't call in is null & void. The point you're trying to make is "If you failed to act, then your opinion is void" but the thing is people did act. People were contacting BioHazard from the IAA to get involved etc. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from...but I'd sooner say that what you've said there is more akin to Irish behavioural patterns - you're projecting images of yourself onto those who called in, and casting the community as a Lynch mob.

The fact of the matter is, Airsoft is a niche activity - this kind of press and publicity can be catastrophic for it. A few wrong words can get a lot of peoples backs up, and it takes much more work to rectify. It is a precarious position, and takes a tactical approach. The IAA have worked with the Department of Justice, and slaved to eliminate things like two-toning etc - but then one person brings up how the UKARA is great idea (it's not), and it has the potential to snowball. It's not a witch hunt - people throw themselves to the lions, and mercy of Captain Hindsight (thank you South Park) by calling in. Tis the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

... Its nothing to do with stepping up to the plate, sometimes it takes a bit more metal to sit back and realise YOU CANT HELP. Instead of being bravado and making a fool of yourself and the sport.

Thats a big part of it, its the fragile ego's bandying the term elite around as though they are salt of the earth airsofters, victims of the arrogant elite who want all the radio glory to themselves.

Theres no glory in making an ass of the sport, the best people to speak for the sport are the ones who don't see it as an ego boost at all, rather a very serious responsibility.

Sure wouldn't I love to go on the radio and argue the odds with the detractors and be the big man, but if I were to bollocks it up, everyone suffers. The responsibility to deal with the media is with the IAA, ours is to choose the best representatives we can and not screw things up.

thermo wrote: »
    banned for insulting post. please keep it civil on the forum guys

Ive spoken to the mod,and i formally retract my statement.
    I know this guy very well and should not of brought any sort of insulting messages to the Board.
    I apologise if ive caused any insult to anyone and will edit my post now...

Thank you to the mod who got back to me so quickly and listened to my side of the story.

I still stand by all of the other points i have made on this thread and i think this just proves a point that i would not be a good spokesperson for Airsoft and that some people are better off keeping their mouths and fingers to themselves

Davey

@ Doc...what am I on about?
    (I'll take all the pseudo swear words if you don’t mind)

I'll explain it a bit clearer then:

In every single sport, industry, and even online forum, there are always going to be people that don't come across well while expressing their opinion. But they are still entitle to express their opinion. It would have been far more beneficial for the inelegant, competent airsoft community members to have contributed positively rather than staying quiet and waiting until they are on a forum THAT ONLY AIRSOFTERS USE

If people wanted to give airsoft a good boost live on the radio, they should have picked up the phone and contributed, rather than going online and female dogging!..I can’t explain it any clearer.

I'll also ask you again DOC, to mind your tone when aiming your post toward me, I don’t appreciate your aggressive tone. Thanks.

I’m actually glad to see the term "Elite" got such a rise out of posters here, maybe that should say something to those that felt affected by it.
    (but that is a different topic)

Returning to the debate, I would hardly call RTE a controversial broadcaster, I do feel the host was coming from a suspicious angle, but that is his job, here were so many opportunities to turn his opinion, he said several times "I’ve tried paintball and thoroughly enjoyed it" - there an opening if ever I saw one.

The guys that did go on and came across well did very well and well done to you.

-You represented yourselves very well, but at no point was anybody speaking for me, because I didn’t take part in the debate.

That is my point that when you are on the radio you are not representing the sport, or all players, you are just people with their own ideas and opinions. And if you wanted your opinion to be heard you had your chance.

And as for preparation to talk to Colm Hayes, he's not Trevor Mc Donald, it’s a light hearted chat show, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@ Doc...what am I on about?
    (I'll take all the pseudo swear words if you don’t mind)

I'll explain it a bit clearer then:

In every single sport, industry, and even online forum, there are always going to be people that don't come across well while expressing their opinion. But they are still entitle to express their opinion. It would have been far more beneficial for the inelegant, competent airsoft community members to have contributed positively rather than staying quiet and waiting until they are on a forum THAT ONLY AIRSOFTERS USE

Sorry, but you keep failing to grasp one simple ( and I will use swear words) f*cking fact: national talk radio is not you expressing your personal opinion when talking as a member of a particular community. It means you become a spokesperson. You are representative of the people found within that community.

Do. You. Get. It?

It has nothing to do with crowing on about freedom of speech and entitlement to give ones opinion or to pinch one off. It's about exercising common sense and recognising these shows for what they are and how they go about it. They couldn't give two flying f*cks about a roll of sh*t coming out of a monkey's arse as to what your opinion is or whether or not you are entitled to give it. They want ratings. They want you to slip up so they can twist words for sensationalist gain.

Do. You. Get. It. Yet?

If people wanted to give airsoft a good boost live on the radio, they should have picked up the phone and contributed, rather than going online and female dogging!..I can’t explain it any clearer.

Except for one simple. f*cking. fact: Talk Radio IS NOT the internet. It is entirely a different beast that plays to very different - and often very dirty - rules.

Returning to the debate, I would hardly call RTE a controversial broadcaster, I do feel the host was coming from a suspicious angle, but that is his job, here were so many opportunities to turn his opinion, he said several times "I’ve tried paintball and thoroughly enjoyed it" - there an opening if ever I saw one.

Bull. Fc*king. Sh1t. Of the highest level of naievety.

First things first; RTE are a biased broadcaster; particularly in matters of anything political. Always have been, always will be. Not on a level with Fox/BSkyB News, but nonetheless they have political leanings which are consistently followed.

Now, as for the talk show host; he kept trying to use the quote you used as if to make it out that he's really impartial and "everybody's buddy". He was in his sh*te either. He constantly kept trying to steer the conversation towards the controversial; constantly asking every other sentence if someone was talking about airsoft, and not real guns for example.

You represented yourselves very well, but at no point was anybody speaking for me, because I didn’t take part in the debate.

That is my point that when you are on the radio you are not representing the sport, or all players, you are just people with their own ideas and opinions. And if you wanted your opinion to be heard you had your chance.

Do you vote? Because regardless, the government speaks on your behalf even when you disagree with them. Same applies here. Everyone who goes onto a talk show and identifies a the member of a community IS a spokesperson for said community, whether you agree with it or not. To think otherwise is to be foolishly naieve and on the verge of moronic, idle stupidity McGilla, and I don't know how much clearer I can make this as I've said it several times already, as have a few others.

Not particularly a topic for here, but RTE are very contraversial - more than you'd think. Appearances can be very deceptive. They operate as a private network, yet use public money. I'll stop there because it's REALLY off topic.

I do see your point, that we (who were on the thread and listening live) had the chance to call in, however most of the people here chose to abdicate in favour of getting a proper representative, ala IAA. However I would stipulate that failing to act is not limited to not calling in - in fact, I would say that the choice of abstaining from calling in WAS our act, for we did not believe we were A) Prepared enough or B) Right for the job at hand. So rather than throw caution to the wind, we decided to play a little more tactically. It was not a failure to act - it was an act of restraint; the two are world's apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Elitist dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭thermo

please keep it civil guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Elitist dope.

you have been warned, take a weeks holiday to cool off. any more abuse on this thread will not be tolerated.

thermo wrote: »
    you have been warned, take a weeks holiday to cool off. any more abuse on this thread will not be tolerated.

In fairness to Dingdong, hes a close friend of mine and it was an attempt at sarcasm I would imagine.

I take no offense to his comment because I know it was in jest, if that could possibly remove his ban I'd be greatly appreciative.

Doc.

Lemming wrote: »
    Sorry, but you keep failing to grasp one simple ( and I will use swear words) f*cking fact:

Please mind your damn manners! I have not attacked you nor will I.
    national talk radio is not you expressing your personal opinion when talking as a member of a particular community. It means you become a spokesperson. You are representative of the people found within that community.

I disagree, and see it differently, I listened to the show, and I play airsoft but at no point was anybody on that show representing me. they expressed some views that I agree with and disagree with, but no one was representing me...DO YOU GET IT?

It has nothing to do with crowing on about freedom of speech and entitlement to give ones opinion

- Yes it does
    It's about exercising common sense and recognising these shows for what they are and how they go about it. They couldn't give two flying f*cks about a roll of sh*t coming out of a monkey's arse as to what your opinion is or whether or not you are entitled to give it. They want ratings. They want you to slip up so they can twist words for sensationalist gain.
    - In your opinion. And yes I get this also! - I just don't completely agree.
    Do. You. Get. It. Yet?
    - YES Thanks

Except for one simple. f*cking. fact: Talk Radio IS NOT the internet. It is entirely a different beast that plays to very different - and often very dirty - rules. -

This is very Rage Against The Machine...

Bull. Fc*king. Sh1t. Of the highest level of naivety.
    - it is naivety on your part to presume you know more about something than a person you do not know, and also to presume you are correct.
    First things first; RTE are a biased broadcaster; particularly in matters of anything political. Always have been, always will be. Not on a level with Fox/BSkyB News, but nonetheless they have political leanings which are consistently followed.
    - I don’t have any affiliations with RTE so his point doesn't really concern me![
    Now, as for the talk show host; he kept trying to use the quote you used as if to make it out that he's really impartial and "everybody's buddy". He was in his sh*te either. He constantly kept trying to steer the conversation towards the controversial; constantly asking every other sentence if someone was talking about airsoft, and not real guns for example.
    - i couldn't care less...it's his Job, but people here hadn’t the balls to call in and challenge him, so your opinion matters not!

Do you vote?
    None yo business!
    Because regardless, the government speaks on your behalf even when you disagree with them.
    - I understand democracy thanks, but you don seem to as not one of the people on that show had my vote, or any majority vote from the community.
    Same applies here.
    - Wrong!!!
    Everyone who goes onto a talk show and identifies a the member of a community IS a spokesperson for said community, whether you agree with it or not.
    - Wrong!!!
    To think otherwise is to be foolishly naive and on the verge of moronic, idle stupidity McGilla, and I don't know how much clearer I can make this as I've said it several times already, as have a few others.

Just condescending dribble, needs no reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Just condescending dribble, needs no reply!
    Yet you did, fail!

What's with all the handbags at dawn crap though?
    What happened to the original topic, or is this it?

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Yet you did, fail!

Fair enough! Just to lighten the mood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6HQL8orL4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Yet you did, fail!

What's with all the handbags at dawn crap though?
    What happened to the original topic, or is this it?

Kinda went off topic along time ago and since i started the thread i'll ask it too be locked as it is just turned into you said this bla bla bla bull kinda pointless.

I would say this though all radios/tv shows are there one for thing to make money for the station they are broadcasting for so causing trouble by making something look really bad is good business for them no matter what it is . the fact is we have two lads that talks allot of sense compared to the other lads talking about shooting people in the head and so on.

Advertisement