Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESPN & other broadcaster blocking crowd noise

• 17-11-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

I just thought I ask a question which has been raised in another thread.

Can anybody please tell me if Broadcasters block out crowd noise, say for example during a minutes silence before the start of a match ??

If another country has the feed and you pick it up online would the sound from the crowd you receive be different??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Most football matches have different mics for different areas of the pitch/commentators. The commentators sound is known as comms and the crowd sound is known as Nat sound.
    Most broadcasters get different sound feeds so are able to bring up/down the level of crowd noise and in some cases kill it altoghether.

If there is a minmutes silence the host broadcaster would normally bring the level of the crowd mics down - while leaving the comms/and pitch mics open (so you can hear the refs whistle).

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I know some broadcasters lower the volume of the crowd depending what chants are being sung. You can really pick it up sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

newbie2 wrote: »
    Most football matches have different mics for different areas of the pitch/commentators. The commentators sound is known as comms and the crowd sound is known as Nat sound.
    Most broadcasters get different sound feeds so are able to bring up/down the level of crowd noise and in some cases kill it altoghether.

If there is a minmutes silence the host broadcaster would normally bring the level of the crowd mics down - while leaving the comms/and pitch mics open (so you can hear the refs whistle).

hope this helps

I think what he is getting at is if the host broadcaster does something with a level, can a subsequent broadcaster overseas, in this case an internet stream, reverse that or tinker with it in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I think what he is getting at is if the host broadcaster does something with a level, can a subsequent broadcaster overseas, in this case an internet stream, reverse that or tinker with it in general?

That's spot on, sorry if I was a bit vage in my OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I assume this is about the Celtic v Falkirk match with the one minute silence where Celtic fans have been accused of ruining the minutes silence but it was only brought up on foreign feeds. That's actually true.

Here is the video:

However when the camera went over to the section of Celtic support, on my feed anyway, it was about 20 people or so singing. 95% of Celtic fans observed the silence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

So just to clarify, the crowd noise on a foreign feed can be different to that on the domestic one?

I did not get involved in the debate as I was not sure if the crowd noise would be different.

All I want is an end to the side show that is the minutes silence debate in the Celtic Thread, I couldn't care less if they sang, blew vuvuzela's the whole way through or not, but if it's confimed one way or the other the thread might actually get back to Celtic football matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Le King wrote: »
    I assume this is about the Celtic v Falkirk match with the one minute silence where Celtic fans have been accused of ruining the minutes silence but it was only brought up on foreign feeds. That's actually true.

Here is the video:

However when the camera went over to the section of Celtic support, on my feed anyway, it was about 20 people or so singing. 95% of Celtic fans observed the silence.

That's NOT the game he's referring to - he's referring to the St Mirren v Celtic game last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I know some broadcasters lower the volume of the crowd depending what chants are being sung. You can really pick it up sometimes.

ya this....

i know old trafford can be quiet sometimes, but after being at a game and then watching match of the day, you can tell the volume at certain points is alot lower than it should be. certain moments would take the roof off, but comes across different on TV.

would be the same for most grounds IMO, BBC and sky coverage is completly different, Sky sounds alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

That's NOT the game he's referring to - he's referring to the St Mirren v Celtic game last weekend.

Well wouldn't the Scottish media be all over it if they did?

I doubt the foundation to it. The media in Scotland thrive off stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It's really obvious at times on ESPN when they turn the crowd noise up or down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement