Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pvc window repair and tuning - Galway/ Mayo Area

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    The windows in my home are approx 10 years old (bought 3 years ago). I have typical double glazing white pvc windows. Some of the windows dont close properly, the seals don't match up when the windows is closed. No point having well insulated walls with a draft coming in the window :). Can anyone recommend a service that would be able to perform some general maintenance and repair ?.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

Start by oiling all of the moving parts (locking points, hinges, handles, etc)

This should be done on all windows and doors about once a year, even the maintainence free ones ;)

Check that the sash locking points are meeting the plates on the frame, if not there might be adjustment on the hinges or the locking mushrooms to get them to meet.

Check the seals between sash and frame and in particular between glass and frame. Rubber seals have a tendency to shrink over time, in particualr black one that are exposed to sunlight.

If the seals are not meeting at the corners .. air is probably leaking in and out here.

If you need to replace seals, then go back to the window supplier or the uPVC profile supplier, if you are able to identify them ?!

Finally, if you have warped or twisted profiles, there are a number of reasons for this .. not so many solutions !

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mambomon

Thanks braftery,
    3 in 1 oil would do the job i suppose.
    Not sure who the manufacturer i'm afraid, previous homeowner is no longer around . Do you have any idea how the manufacturer could be identified ?.
    Might just have a go myself and see how i get on !

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

yes .. 3 in 1 oil .. or WD40 if you have any mechanisms that are completely stuck .. spray and leave for a bit then try to get it moving again.

The seals, if needed, might be harder to come by as they are normally part of the original profile supplied to the window maker by the profile supplier.

if you can identify the problems, there are probably window repairs guys you can call, but doing the first bit yourself can get you a long way down the road.

Advertisement