Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with previous employer issuing tax forms

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I worked a part time job in retail for just over a year. Around this time last year, I was let go due to there not being enough hours for me etc. With college commitments and other things I didn't look for another job until this summer. When I got a new job, I filled in the form for a new tax cert as this was my first time working in 2010, I presumed I wouldn't need a p45 from the past employer. After a month or two of being on emergency tax, I contacted the tax office to see what the problem was, it turned out that they wanted me to supply them with a p45 after all.

I contacted my previous employer numerous times, each time they said that they would sort it out and I would get it in the post or would be informed when it was ready. Eventually I contacted the head office of the company, and was told that I was never taken off the payroll when I was let go over a year ago. This was the reason they couldn't issue me with a p45, because it would be blank. I have since received a letter from the company stating the situation which I hope will be good enough for Revenue! But I am seriously confused as to why an employer would keep an employee on the books if they weren't working there anymore.

Does anyone know how/why this might have happened? There were no plans to rehire me by the way, I asked a few months prior to getting my new job. I'm just wondering if it could have been anything sinister due to being fobbed off and only finding out when head office checked it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Sounds like a simple adminstrative error
    They should still issue you with a P45 for 2010 with nil earnings on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sue345

Yeh as AngelFire has said it more than likely is an administrative error.

Ive worked in payroll for years and I wouldnt issue a P45 without getting some paperwork/confirmation from a manager to say that that person has actually left, the information was more then likely not handed on....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At the end of 2009, they should also have issued you a P60, since you were still on the payroll.

Try asking for a copy of that, instead. Give it to Revenue, and tell them that you left on 31/12/09

Advertisement