Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cacti setup/help

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the REALLY basic question but can anyone help me and point point me in the right direction for setting up CACTI?

What exactly is required as side from downloading the software and running it on a server - what level of configuration is required - on the nodes i want to monitor and on the server itself?

Also what else has to be done before I can start monitoring... ???

I know these are very basic questions, but looking to get this organised as quick as possible!!!

thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

Node configuration:- enable snmp.
    Obtain the oid of the variable you want to monitor.

Best point of reference http://forums.cacti.net/

Tks,
    Noclee

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

thanks for that Noclee - pardon the question, but it all seems a bit too easy... and i'm wondering where the catch is...

I get the idea of installing a server, configuring apache/mysql/php/RRDTool and appreciate that there is some work in getting all to work together, but is that where the fun will really start? Or is that "all" that's to the setup...

Please feel free to bash me over my head with my naivety...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The fun starts when you're trying to monitor more things than can respond int he standard 5 minute polling cycle, and when you start creating your own custom graphs and data templates.

Familiarize yourself with snmpwalk and MIBs (/usr/share/snmp/mibs normally).

I would seriously recommend installing the pre-requisites from your distro's repo/package manager and installing Cacti from the latest tarball (+ patches!! only take a second to apply) fromt he cacti/net website.
    RTFM, you'll pick up a hell of a lot of stuff from the install guide.

Advertisement