Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Repair Scam

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Just letting people know that there is a scam going on nationwide but calls have been going out round the Dundalk area for a few days now.

A guy or a woman rings up saying that they are working for Microsoft and that your Windows operating system is either infected or running slow and they can fix it at their end if you logon to your PC, go on the net and give them access to your PC online. If you let them, while they have access to your PC they are downloading any details you have ie. bank details, email & bank account logons and passwords.

So if you get a similar call just hang up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Smokecloak

Has anyone got caught with this scam? You? Surely nobody is going to believe someone ringing up,saying they,r from somewhere. Anyone can call you and say they,r anyone, would you believe them? I don,t. Anyway, I clean my own pc, use AES encryption, proxy servers, and all the rest........Can,t have enough defence. People should,nt have any personel details on the pc, unless encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Smokecloak wrote: »
    Has anyone got caught with this scam? You?
    I know of two people that got caught out with this scam, I haven't. They rang the wrong person when they called me up, your one didn't know what to say when I said I was a computer technician with an Apple PC and I hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Smokecloak wrote: »
    Has anyone got caught with this scam? You? Surely nobody is going to believe someone ringing up,saying they,r from somewhere.

Its easy for us to say "sure who would be so stupid" but some of the older generation wouldn't be as technically minded as us, and would easily fall for this.

Thanks for the info hellboy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

They called the parents last week. The guy on the phone was fairly abusive and forceful. Thankfully, they just hung up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

DonalN wrote: »
    They called the parents last week. The guy on the phone was fairly abusive and forceful. Thankfully, they just hung up on them.

disgraceful :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Smokecloak

It,s a bad game alright. And people fall for it everytime. It,s the same thing as people going around old people, pretending to be someone. Theres been a few cases of that in the town in the last few weeks. I know one woman who let them in, and got cleaned out of money,pension book, and anything else they could take. This is really the same thing, except done on a phone or computer.

Advertisement