Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window & door insulation\draught sealing

• 17-11-2010 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I'm currently living in an old building with a large aluminium single glaze window and a door with glass panes facing out onto a garden. It's very draughty at the moment and I was wondering if anybody could recommend what I could use to seal the window and doors for draughts. It's rented accomodation so I can't go modifying the place much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'm currently living in an old building with a large aluminium single glaze window and a door with glass panes facing out onto a garden. It's very draughty at the moment and I was wondering if anybody could recommend what I could use to seal the window and doors for draughts. It's rented accomodation so I can't go modifying the place much.

Masking tape would be the way to go for the windows. It's cheap and easy to fit and you can remove it when the weather improves if you want to be opening your windows. Just tape up all the joins on the opening elements of the window.

Treatment for the door depends on how bad the gaps are. Small gaps of 1-2mm between door and frame can be sealed with self-adhesive rubber or foam strip designed for that purpose which is placed onto that portion of the frame the door closes against. Available in Woodies and the like. The gap under the bottom of the door can be sealed by screwing a brush-type seal along the bottom of the door. It's not too expensive and isn't intrusive enough a mod to worry a landlord. Again, you'll probably find it in Woodies or Chadwicks.

Larger gaps between door and frame will need something like this:

http://www.exitex.com/WeatherBars/PartInfo.aspx?PartRef=1.01.400.&referral=doorsurroundDoorSurround

It's not too dear and is easy enough to fit.

Gaps between window frames and glass can be filled with silicone sealant as a stopgap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Good stuff , Cheers.

Advertisement