Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my new Eircom BB line stats ok?

• 17-11-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just got Eircom broadband connected last night, it's not NGB, just adsl.
    Just want to check my stats are in order and I'm getting the best I can get.

Suppose to be the 7Meg 50 gb package.

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 4096 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 50 dB /23 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 19 dB /16 dB

Max speed of 4096 is about right with that attenuation? I know 4096 is a prerecorded number as it's what the Eircom site spits back when I put in my landline, but when I put in a house 5 doors down I get back 5120! Calculator states I can get around 4800. A quick speed test around 8.30pm last night showed dl/ul of 3.3megs/.2 megs, ping 60ms.

Might try rewire my sockets at somepoint, see if attenuation improves, the line coming in is going into a small brown socket, that socket in turn has wires running to the phone jack.
    Brown socket isn't covered and wires exposed so they may have corroded a bit, seems to be 5 or 6 coloured wires with only half of them connected. The line's been dormant since 2000 so socket prob like that for last 10 years!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Seems about right. Trying to increase your sync speed above what the line can handle would make things a whole lot worse, so don't try to get them to do that. They probably won't anyway, as they normally keep the line a little below maximum so as to pre-empt problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Thats an very good line four your attainable speed. 4096 / 384 is a 4MB profile on the button - it will not go up anymore. Attenuation won't vary much as it represents the distance from your exchange, approximately 4-5 KM. Noise margin is also good, poor internal setup will affect this, as long as it doesn't go below 12 (or 10 to keep it close), you wont experience any disconnections or slow speeds. Your speed test sounds correct, try and ftp download instead, as long as your KB/s is 400, your golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

1034635661.png
    28329128.png

Just did a http download of a file, got around 350 kb/sec which is quite good at this time given how congested Eircom can get in the evenings!

Although I've heard of ppl getting Eircom and it being grand for the first few days and then bam, we'll see I guess :cool:

Advertisement