Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Interesting ideas for how to utilize the kinect in future games

• 17-11-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been reading for ages about how this will change gaming, but i want to know what you think would be avenues for them to incorporate the kinect into traditional games.

the ideas have been few and far between,

Some i have seen are

- Metal Gear Solid/Tom Clancy like game tracking your head to look around corners

- Augmented reality used

That's really all i've seen, Does anyone else have any ideas no matter how absurd or fantastical that developers could use.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some good games would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Head tracking in racing games. Hopefully it will be in Shift 2 I love the cockpit view in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Would be nice to see it integrated to current styles of games forst, eg a first person shooter where you use the controller as per normal and if you approach a mouted gun to use you need to drop the controller and "hold" the mounted gun to fire. Flight sims where you can adjust the view with head movement (always vital in flight combat games) and maybe an in dept fighting game like UFC where you create a fighter, in training you have to interact with him for things like sparing / ropes / weights / speedbags building stats - in fights then you controll as per normal.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hire this guy:

Watch all the way.... wow.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

- Traditional shooter game using the pad where you pause Brothers in Arms style and position friendly troops using the Kinect on a paused map and then have them do those actions when you jump back. Would need better gesture capability though for indicating fire-lines and actions (since a team could assault, kill, suppress, scout but not fire, etc on one point so has to be some difference)
    -Giving orders using hand signals in games, or even voice commands (why isnt this part of all games as each 360 comes with a mic?)
    - Viva Pinata 3 using Kinect, killer app if Microsoft ever needed one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'm sure it can add to games ,adding new features to games. Maybe crossing ropes while shooting at targets ,stuff like that.
    And knife combat where the character automatically moves forward and you have to defend and swipe at enemies as they attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

A decent fighting game with full motion tracking and realistic damage like Fight Night would be an instant purchase for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A new GTA, where you have to slap your partner around the too
    [kidding!!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

minority report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

DeVore wrote: »
    hire this guy:

Watch all the way.... wow.

DeV.
    Nice. Given time I can imagine someone doing similar, except with 3/4 Kinects and combining them to create an almost complete 3d interactive representation of a room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'd like to see Point & Click games to make a bit of a comeback.Sam & Max and Monkey Island in particular, i've played them on PC but not having Live means I can't play the ones on offer on the 360.Also a game kinda like Bear Grylls would be cool and Mirror's Edge might find a audience as a kinect game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A proper Star Wars game and Streetfighter 5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I was thinking ,there must be a lot of cpu power taken up with something like this. Anyone any idea how much extra power is needed to calculate this input over the controller ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I was thinking ,there must be a lot of cpu power taken up with something like this. Anyone any idea how much extra power is needed to calculate this input over the controller ?

apparently the cpu usage on one of the xbox thread's is less than 10% so some very efficient software working there...
    They had to keep it fairly low to justify leaving it out of the original requirements which called for the kinect to have it's own processing unit plus with the games coming out now the cpu would need all the juice it's got without the kinect significantly impacting it...

Anyone see the vids for metal gear rising? I have a sneaking suspicion this could be the first hardcore kinect compatable game. Would be great fun too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The end of the world is nigh:
    Kotaku.com wrote:
    Why play games on Kinect when you can hook it up to a robot, teach it how to learn from its surroundings then take your orders with the wave of an arm?

500x_kinectrobot.jpg
    Philipp Robbel, a student at MIT's Personal Robotics Group, has done just that, connecting Microsoft's motion-sensing peripheral to a small robot (a hacked Roomba, no less!), with amazing results.
    Not only can the small robot wheel itself around the room, mapping out its surroundings in 3D, it can also be controlled by a human via gesture controls, since it's able to first recognise a person against the background of a room, then interpret your commands.

[YouTube, via Singularity Hub]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The end of the world is nigh:

AWWWW it's a baby Dalek

Wait a min!... a kinect strapped to a robot vacum cleaner!!!!

So I can just gesture like this [v below v] and it will clean the floor?

3.png

Pffffttt... have one already... its called a girlfriend.

(Hey baby relax, I'm jokin)

Advertisement