Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest me an FM killer laptop..

Options
  • 17-11-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Right so, looks like ym laptop has finally given in. In homage to her she has been around since 2005 and lived through 4 football manager games, but in that time she had a water spill which it survived, a new keyboard , new hard drive and now the battery is screwed, the wireless card is screwed and the CD drive is taking me an hour to load FM up.

So i'm going to replace it, budget is about 600-700 max. Current laptop is a Compaq pisera has an Nvidia graphics card, 1.66 ghz and 1GB of RAM and it ran FM ok but not that fast or smooth and 3D matchs made it explode.

New one should be able to run the 3D matchs smooth in high quality , have at least 2GB Ram and 2 GHZ processor? Any suggestions, was looking at the Dell XPS and Ailienware series but not sure on them anyone running them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sorry for half hijacking your thread but I'm the same. Does anyone know how FM would run on this laptop? Thanks.

http://www.samsunglaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=NP-X125-JA01UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Did a good bit of reading today on it, what were looking for is a dual core processor of at least 2GB and as much RAM as possible.

That laptop above has a decent graphics card, should run the 3D but not sure how smooth, 3GB of Ram is good, but the processor is single and only 1.7 GHZ I would want 2 GHZ at least for FM11, the one I have at the min is 1.6 and although it runs it can be slow at times.

So have you found any good ones? :p

Need mine to be a netbook or notebook though for bringing to college...

EDIT: What's this one like?
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/ie/en/home/Dell-Laptops/inspiron-15-intel-n5010/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-15-intel-n5010&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&ref=lthp

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

If I was looking at a laptop now for FM, I'd be looking at the i3, i5, or i7 range with 4gb of ram and 64bit windows 7, money permitting of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

SantryRed wrote: »
    Sorry for half hijacking your thread but I'm the same. Does anyone know how FM would run on this laptop? Thanks.

http://www.samsunglaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=NP-X125-JA01UK

That "laptop" is more of a netbook. 11 inch screen and a netbook esque processor.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10216940-1.html

Something like this would be more worthwhile:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-r540-core-i3-370m-4gb-ram---500gb-hdd---windows-7-home-premium-64-bit---15-6--laptop-761M.html?refs=4294948189

If you want to keep the budget down a bit this will play with all the bells and whistles ( I think):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-15-6-inch-Notebook-Pentium-Windows/dp/B003S3R7RU
    You may be able to pick that up on other sites or in PC world.

• Advertisement

Is there actually any chance of me getting a notebook which will run FM well for under 600?

Is there actually any chance of me getting a notebook which will run FM well for under 600?

You should be able to pick up that second laptop I linked to there for under 600 euro.
    I played the FM 2011 demo on it with no issues.

Sh1t I mean netbook :pac:

EDIT: I haven't a breeze about laptops lads. Can you just get smaller versions of laptops? My laptop at the min is 15.4'' and would ideally want 12-14''.

Sh1t I mean netbook :pac:

EDIT: I haven't a breeze about laptops lads. Can you just get smaller versions of laptops? My laptop at the min is 15.4'' and would ideally want 12-14''.

The problem with a lot of netbooks usually are:
    Relatively poor graphics
    Relatively poor processor.
    Usually less that 2 gig RAM.
    Some ship with Win 7 starter only or an OS that wont support FM.

Any reason why you are looking at a netbook?
    You could probably play FM on it but it may be slow and/or a pain.
    That second laptop I linked too may be available circa 450 euros.

kippy wrote: »
    The problem with a lot of netbooks usually are:
    Relatively poor graphics
    Relatively poor processor.
    Usually less that 2 gig RAM.
    Some ship with Win 7 starter only or an OS that wont support FM.

Any reason why you are looking at a netbook?
    You could probably play FM on it but it may be slow and/or a pain.
    That second laptop I linked too may be available circa 450 euros.

I need it to fit into my bag as I'll be using it for college. The one I have now is too big and bulky for it. That Samsung one that I linked on my first post, would that not be good enough no? Thanks.

• Advertisement

I need it to fit into my bag as I'll be using it for college. The one I have now is too big and bulky for it. That Samsung one that I linked on my first post, would that not be good enough no? Thanks.

It MAY be good enough but I dont think so.
    I have a Dell Latitude D630 here which wont play the game as the graphics arent up to scratch. I would suspect the same on a netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Maybe a second hand macbook if size is a problem. 13.3" is a fierce handy size for college. Check on adverts.ie...

http://adverts.ie/332480

This might be stretching your budget. http://adverts.ie/237699

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

The one thing I'd say is stay away from the Dell XPS and Alienware models. They're way overpriced because of the brand.

A lot of times you can find a lesser known build with almost the same specs for a much smaller price tag.

Right lads. Well decided I'm going to get a new MacBook. Have the money so gonna use it. What would that be like using FM on it? Getting 4gb ram on it too.

Right lads. Well decided I'm going to get a new MacBook. Have the money so gonna use it. What would that be like using FM on it? Getting 4gb ram on it too.

I have 2gB and FM10 runs alright. Can be a bit jumpy sometimes but more often than not, it's grand. I have a small database on though...

Getting a MacBook Pro now. Turns out I can get 17% discount on original price and then not have to pay VAT. Happy days :)

Getting a MacBook Pro now. Turns out I can get 17% discount on original price and then not have to pay VAT. Happy days :)

Glad you got sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

koHd wrote: »
    The one thing I'd say is stay away from the Dell XPS and Alienware models. They're way overpriced because of the brand.

A lot of times you can find a lesser known build with almost the same specs for a much smaller price tag.

Nonsence, I got the new XPS 15 for 760 and its got spec you wouldnt find from another brand for the same price. Speakers are the best you'll find on ANY laptop and its got an i5 processor/500gb/HD webcam etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Alright lads. I'm looking to get a new laptop for Christmas, to play Football Manager 2011, for cheap enough. I've been looking at this laptop and I was wondering if it ticks all the boxes?

Alright lads. I'm looking to get a new laptop for Christmas, to play Football Manager 2011, for cheap enough. I've been looking at this laptop and I was wondering if it ticks all the boxes?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Nonsence, I got the new XPS 15 for 760 and its got spec you wouldnt find from another brand for the same price. Speakers are the best you'll find on ANY laptop and its got an i5 processor/500gb/HD webcam etc.
    Linkage?
    Cant see any with an i5 for less than 799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

kippy wrote: »
    Yes.

Great! Would I have any problems running seven or eight countries with a large database?

Great! Would I have any problems running seven or eight countries with a large database?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Got sorted myself aswell. Got an Acer aspire for €499 , really happy with it have a 2.3 ghz processor , 4 gigs of RAM , 320 HDD and it runs FM 11 like a dream including the full detailed 3D engine...Finally!

Advertisement