Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving abroad - can I continue to hold Irish credit cards/insurance policies?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I’m in the process of moving to the UK and am looking for advice on changing address, effectively changing country of residence. I have an Ulster Bank home insurance policy, they told me that in order to take out a policy with them, you have to be a resident of Ireland. I didn’t go so far as to ask them would I have to cancel my existing policy with them. It’s possible that in order to apply for one of these financial products (mortgage protection policies, credit cards etc), you have to be a resident of Ireland, but this doesn’t apply if you’re moving abroad, you can just hold on to it since you were a resident at the time, but changing your address to your new UK address. I don’t know this for certain though.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would think it depends on the small print in the individual policy. I know BoI had no problem moving my Visa credit card billing address abroad, but I still have an Irish current account which it feeds off, so that may make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Yes, i've continued to use my AIB credit card for the last 15 months abroad and they know I don't live in Ireland. As long as I keep my current account big enough to cover it, they won;t have a problem.

You can hold insurance policies too I believe (VHI anyway) but it will probably result in an increase in your premium. When I rang VHI before I left to cancel my policy, they quoted some stupid premium increase if I wanted to keep the policy (whihc I didn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Have had my Irish MBNA card abroad now for 3 years ... pay by IBAN .. takes 3 working days to reach their account.

The helpline is in English which is a great :D

Advertisement