Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord paying tax....

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

this is prob a really dumb question but im wondering if i still pay tax on a property that is rented but loss making?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

miami2007 wrote: »
    Hi,

this is prob a really dumb question but im wondering if i still pay tax on a property that is rented but loss making?

yes it is a dumb question. (Sorry to be blunt)

Your paying tax on the rental income not on profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

D3PO wrote: »

It depends. See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/rental-income.html

You can offset 75% of interest (0% of capital repayment) and various other things against income in 2010. Many people think 75% will be reduced in this years budget. So it depends exactly how loss making it is and what you define as loss making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

What if the landlords mortgage is interest only?

Sorry I see my answer above..

robd wrote: »
    It depends. See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/rental-income.html

You can offset 75% of interest (0% of capital repayment) and various other things against income in 2010. Many people think 75% will be reduced in this years budget. So it depends exactly how loss making it is and what you define as loss making.

my answer was a literal answer to a literal question. I'm aware of these but I would always suggest somebody whos asking the question the OP asked to use an accountant so as to ensure they file a correct tax return.

P.S OP you must file a return even if your not libel to pay tax

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D3PO wrote: »

Are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

of course its on income
    profit is income -expendiditure so you can subtract cost of renting ie: paint carpets new attic doors but not the cost of the morgage its not expenditure its a repayment on a loan

Tigger wrote: »
    of course its on income
    profit is income -expendiditure so you can subtract cost of renting ie: paint carpets new attic doors but not the cost of the morgage its not expenditure its a repayment on a loan

But what if it's an interest only loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Then 75% of mortgage can be deducted.

3DataModem wrote: »

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

this is correct its a sweet deal
    however is you are not getting 75% of this figure in income you can't claim against other income

• Advertisement

Just to expand on this interest writedown only applies to landlords who are prtb registered if you don't register with the prtb you cannot write this off your tax bill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It depends on whether the property is covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. Not all lettings are.

Advertisement