Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I invest in property without buying a whole property?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to invest in property here in Ireland without going the whole hog and buying a property. For example a REIT? I don't think there are any in Ireland are there?

Please note that I am looking to invest less than Euro10,000 and teaming up with other investors is not an option, i don't want the hassle that goes along with it.

Yuting

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You could buy unit shares in a property and other asset backed investment- such as one of those forestry funds- where you own a share of the forest, and the whole property gets liquidated once every 12 years?

Just an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yuting1810

It's not a bad suggestion, but I want to invest in pure property.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Investing €10,000 in property will get you nowhere.

Unit funds are much the same as REITs and all sorts of permutations are possible, with different splits of shares, stocks, property, commodities, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_investment_trust

Of course, advice is to generally to spread your investments across different assets.

You may get better answers here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=859

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

10 k will get you an apartment in germany with a rental yeild of 2-2.2k

thats what i'd do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Ireland is officially Bankrupt!!! You shouldnt be investing any money in it at the moment. Maybe in 2011 when the country has bottomed out.

You be better off investing in up and coming markets such as China. Property lesson has been learnt and its not a good one to invest in. You would get alot more for your money in Asia markets. China continues to grow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

The middle of a property crash the day before the IMF arrive in the country is a spectacularly awesome time to be looking to invest in property. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yuting1810

Tigger - a 20%+ yield? really? could you send me a link to such a property? Also, as I said, i don't want the hassle of looking after a property, i'd like to buy a REIT type thing

Magneticimpulse - I work in financial services in Taiwan so I know the China property market pretty well. There's not a lot of value there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

If I had 10K lying around and needed to be invested, I'd go for stock market :P
    Apple is doing quite well ;)
    If you would have invested 10'000 (USD) in 2003 in Apple shares, you would have almost 0.5 Million Dollars as of November 2010.

But the one thing I would definitely not do, is invest in property!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

yuting1810 wrote: »
    Tigger - a 20%+ yield? really? could you send me a link to such a property? Also, as I said, i don't want the hassle of looking after a property, i'd like to buy a REIT type thing

Magneticimpulse - I work in financial services in Taiwan so I know the China property market pretty well. There's not a lot of value there.

There's not a lot of value in Ireland either..have you seen the prices? Why the hurry, seen the news lately? You trust people to manage your money wisely in Ireland? And you work in financial services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

yuting1810 wrote: »

What does '20% yield' mean? Is it based on boom rents, on temporary phenomena? Doesn't mean anything.....

Advertisement