Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie Question

• 17-11-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I'm going to be cycling again for the first time in more than 10 years, and I'm looking for some advice. (I had tried reading the Stickied FAQ / Wiki before posting this but... its down).

I've been looking to get a second hand upright bike and was hoping a few of the more experienced cyclists could name their favourite bike stores in Dublin - the city or northside preferably - which one's have especially helpful staff, which one's sell second hand bikes.

I'm not looking to start drama
    (no advertising on boards! gtfo! thread locked or
    >"I like cycling shop x"
    >>"cyclinshopx are a shower of ****s, they sold my granny a penny farthing and it fell apart and then she nearly got hit by Adam West in the Batmobile back in the sixties! **** cycling shop x!!!eleven Buy at cycling shop y. They're not scum.")
    but I really don't know where to start.

I'd like to spend my money somewhere where I'd get good advice and where there's trustworthy mechanics to handle servicing the bike or seeing if something needs replacing, because frankly I just don't know jack (I'd picked up a copy of The Bicycle Buyer in Easons since it had a basics guide and I am still trying to figure out how French I should pronounce derailleur? :confused:).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Try here

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

de. rail. er.

and Rothar is a good start, they're on facebook too and are expanding opening hours and maintenance courses at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wow OP - you're really trying to take the fun out of the internet:)

As well as Rothar there's also Bikes4Barnardos

Little Sport in Fairview and the shop further along at the bottom of the Malahide Road seem to have a decent selection of both new and secondhand.

Duff's in the Omni Park in Santry seem to have a nice range of Giants and there's the new place in Howth - the Bike Hub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

city cycles in blackhall place are very good and helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

a5y wrote: »
    I am still trying to figure out how French I should pronounce derailleur? :confused:).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

a5y wrote: »
    I am still trying to figure out how French I should pronounce derailleur? :confused:).

Rear mech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Thanks a million for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Raam wrote: »
    Rear mech.

Ha ha, yeah.

Advertisement