Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motoring costs in the Netherlands

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi guys,

I'm considering a move to the Netherlands to work. How are the motoring costs over there compared to Ireland.
    I know petrol is quite high, but insurance, and taxes and the price of cars.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Animal_ wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm considering a move to the Netherlands to work. How are the motoring costs over there compared to Ireland.
    I know petrol is quite high, but insurance, and taxes and the price of cars.

Cheers
    Depends on how much motoring your doing .. what fuel, where you live in the Netherlands.

If you give me a car, year, kilometers and annual mileage + where you want to live in the Netherlands I can give you an idea of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

From Netherlands myself (live in Dub) "average car" with average milage would prob cost about the same to drive as here.
    New tax rules depend on emission as here. Older cars tax depend on weight and fuel type (pertrol/diesel/LPG/hybrid). Engine size has no influence on tax or insurance (as it should cause it's not 1980 anymore where bigger engine meant more power, ireland however...)
    Insurance discount keep going after 6yrs (here 6 yrs or more NCD is same price)
    You will not get away with no NCT (yearly, car >3yrs old done by garage usually) or no TAX. As soon as you buy a car it will be registered in your name and you have to pay tax regardless if it's on the road or not (usually paid monthly by DD) No tax or NCT automatic fine, and I mean not if you're checked but automatic eg you'll just find one in the post...
    Hence no tax/NCT/insurance disc on any car.
    I have 2 cars, both 05.
    One is a 1.9 Diesel, tax €560yr, in neth prob €90/month!
    But 2nd one is a 3.2 petrol, tax €1566yr, in neth prob >€50/month (cause lightweight&pertol=lower tax)
    Insurance for both prob cheaper in Netherlands (have 10yrs NCD)
    Other interesting driving facts: penalty points don't exist (only for new drivers) and speed cams everywhere! Police rarely do warnings, usually immediate fines . On phone while driving is one those and I think the fine is €150!
    Oh forgot, price of cars. Again about the same as ireland, netherlands have tax similar to VRT, it is being lowered/abolished over the next couple over yrs (but obviously replaced by some other tax). Buy a new 'green' car eg aygo, c1 etc for the lowest VRT and roadtax (€1/month)
    I haven't lived in neth for 5 yrs now so some numbers might be a bit off...

Advertisement