Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balcony direction

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some information on what amount of sun a balcony would have depending on which way it's facing.
    If a balcony is facing NW and W, what would that mean for sun in summer and winter? It's on a 4th floor I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, the sun goes from east to west, and is generally south of us. So, your NW/W balcony will get limited sun, no matter what season it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Paulw wrote: »
    Well, the sun goes from east to west, and is generally south of us. So, your NW/W balcony will get limited sun, no matter what season it is.

Thanks, I'm assuming I'd get more sun in the evening then though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

More light, yes.

Direct sunlight - limited.

Thanks. Looking at it again it, the balcony arches around from NW-W-SW, so I guess it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your description is a little peculiar - is the balcony on a corner? Do you have a drawing?

If I understnad you correctly, you would get most direct light in the evening (from perhaps 3pm on) and only indirect light for the rest of the day. This can be a nuisance when watching TV.

In mid-winter, you would get very little direct daylight, but you would get a lot of light later into the evening/night(!) in mid-summer.

• Advertisement

Exactly - it's on a corner. The corner of the building isn't a 90 degree angle, it's more of a 3-sided corner, like an octagon. The balcony wraps around it.
    I was concerned about watching TV alright - there's no curtains on the windows!

Advertisement