Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

physical conditioning

• 17-11-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all any tips/links to physical conditioning for skiing. I was useless last year :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For general comfort (i.e. walking!) Calves, calves, calves and more calves. I really went to town on calves before I went last year and it served me well. Otherwise do the majority of work on your upper legs, and core. So things like squats and lunges are great. And they are things you can do at home, if you're not in a gym. Your general overall fitness is important for stamina. Makes the difference between getting down the mountain in one go, or stopping once or twice. Personally I run, but hiking and/or biking are also good.
    Whatever you do, don't leave it too late! I started at the beginning of Nov, and I'm heading away at the end of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

i would second the above and If theyre available to you,I would do lots of spin classes.I do them in the month or so before i go skiing and it does make a hell of a difference with your leg stamina.Also as stated by OLaola work the core.If your a newbie you will spend alot of time on your derriere and you constantly have to use your core pulling yourself up and when you ahve circa 10 KG board or ski's attached to your legs you'll need strong lower abs-for this i recommend leg raises.Really try and get as fit as you can,you'll enjoy the whole experience more...plus..the fitter you are teh less time the hangovers last:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Squats, Squats and more Squats

Main muscle groups used when skiign are your Quads, and Core.

Focus on the upper legs and Core and you will be eating the slopes. Skiing is not overly Arobic exercise but spinning will help with alltitude.

Balance work - Balanc on two medicine balls and do squats

Use a Stepper from the Gym and jump on and of and over it focus on keeping the feet parallel and absorbing with the Knees and Ankles or you could try the below :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEghWeUdOIs

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=161550690547828&oid=119091601468108&comments&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGorzSm5Rk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I find you can't beat running for cardio, but its not vital for skiing. So I will try and do at least one or three hours of cycling per week (for the quads and general fitness) and 2 sessions of my local bootcamp for the core. It can't be beaten for a general all body workout :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Oh lord!:eek:

thanks for that guys I might not be quiet ready for doing squats on the half medicine ball but sure it will come to me in time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I cycle a fair bit and it's a good exercise for quads and calves but my favourite skiing workout is hiking up the mountain with skis and boots on my back and then skiing down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Fattes wrote: »
    Squats, Squats and more Squats

Main muscle groups used when skiign are your Quads, and Core.

Focus on the upper legs and Core and you will be eating the slopes. Skiing is not overly Aerobic exercise but spinning will help with alltitude.

whats spinning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ they do it in a gym. It looks like an exercise bike.

http://beebleblog.com/2007/09/03/exercise-classes-what-is-spinning/

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

sheesh wrote: »
    whats spinning?

Its a coached class in that theres an instructor who regulates the speed you go,resistance etc.Its better than doing your own thing as i certainly dont push myself unless pushed.
    Its a good ole workout for the legs,helps with leg strength,stamina all over the leg and i find it great help when snowboarding.
    Once you have the fitness sorted all you need to worry about is enjoyment on the slopes and thats when you fall in love with boarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Simple.

Squats.
    Cycling.
    Downhill running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

sheesh wrote: »
    Oh lord!:eek:

thanks for that guys I might not be quiet ready for doing squats on the half medicine ball but sure it will come to me in time:D
    I find running very good and running on hills is very good - just start with quite short runs. The adavtage is you dont equipment or to go to gyms and it costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I try and do as much of all these as I can. (snowing again as I type this)
    Squats, if you don't have weights use a rucksack and load it with water bottles,
    lunges both regular and to the sides, again us weights)
    jumping up onto a bench and down again, do a squat when you land on the bench
    Sit ups, crunches and press ups good for core.
    Sitting against a wall with knees bent and right angles, hold for as long as you can.
    Running, up and down hills especially
    Cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ARG! I hurt my knee in a snowball fight :(
    Physcial conditioning will have to take a holiday for about a week for me.

Advertisement