Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney help

• 17-11-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    I'm in need of chimney help and advice... Almost every section of the clay lining in my chimney is cracked as is the pot and bit the pot sits on outside. I would like to get it up and running again but with a multi fuel inset stove rather than the current open fire.

I keep hearing different things about what I should do to fix it with wildly varying costs. Any suggestions on what should be done to comply with building regulations? Someone said to me that the old clay liner should come out but that just installing a new flexible steel liner does not count as a chimney and thus wouldn't comply. So far I have been told the following by professionals:
    a) remove old clay liner and replace with flexible liner, b) new flexible liner leaving in old clay liner. A friend said in the UK you can do some sort of balloon and ceramic job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m really confused and don’t want to fork out thousands only to have a bad job done.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

Go with the metal liner. My mother in-law had a cast iron burner installed and they had lined it with the metal liner and it works great. Lovely and warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Just use the metal insert and that will do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

Hi

A flexible liner would not be good enough for multi fuel stove. Check when buying stove, what the Manafacturers require. The chimmney is very important.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 New_Girl

Hi PaleRider,

How come a flexible liner wouldn't work for a multifuel stove? I believe it would be 904 grade steel

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

7. The efficiency and life expectancy of any chimney is dependent on correct use and maintenance. Masonry and precast chimney
    products whilst usually offering long life and high resistance to risk of corrosion, tend to involve more installation work, when compared with
    metallic chimney systems.
    Metal liners and insulated metal chimneys offer fast and convenient installation. However, they are less resistant to damage by corrosion
    particularly if subjected to abuse or inadequate cleaning.
    Allowing soot or condensate deposits to accumulate in metal lined chimneys and also prolonged periods of burning solid fuel slowly in
    slumbering conditions, particularly on closed appliances, can cause high concentrations of corrosive condensates to build up and attack the
    metal liner. This situation can considerably reduce the life of the flue lining.

http://www.hetas.co.uk/public/hetas_guide.html Check out this site. Contact the Manfacturer of the Stove you are buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you install a high quality flexible liner that should be more than sufficient. When you do this, the clay chimney simply becomes a supporting structure and no longer functions as a chimney, as that function is taken over by the liner. So long as it isn't about to collapse it's condition is otherwise irrelevant.

Install a liner and have the gap between the liner and clay pipe filled with vermiculite, this both helps support the liner mechanically while also acting as an insulator and keeping the flu gases hot and reduces the deposition of creosote and other unwanted combustion products on the walls of the liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 New_Girl

Thanks cnocbui.

This is going to sound really silly but, how do you know if the clay liner is going to collapse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole on my part, the chance of that happening are probably small. The stack of ceramic liners are mostly supported at the bottom by the formed funnel like top of the fireplace opening. So long as that is sound i wouldn't be worried about the cracks in the liners.

This might be of interest: http://tinyurl.com/26h36lk

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walter007

Hi folks

The builder did not put a chimmney lliner/flue in the kitchen fireplace of my partners house built in 2006/2007. There is a clay/ceramic flue/linner in the sitting room.

In the kitchen there is a small stove that heats the water and t. the stove is connected via a stove pipe to a concrete unit (closure plate) . It fits at the base of the chimmney . The plumber put some rock wool around the stove pipe where it connects into the closure plate. It went up in flames in 2011. there should have been a collar around the stove pipe that connected into the closure plate . I noticed that when i looked up the opeing into the chimmney there was no chimmney liner, all i could see was blocks.

I am not sure of the regulations but I thought there should be, the builder said that it wasnt a requirement.

i am worried that the soot etc will fall onto the ledges around the chimmney(closure plate) and may go afire. I was thinking of getting a metal chimmney liner inserted.

any advice gratefully received
    thanks you
    walter

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walter007

Hi folks

The builder did not put a chimmney lliner/flue in the kitchen fireplace of my partners house built in 2006/2007. There is a clay/ceramic flue/linner in the sitting room.

In the kitchen there is a small stove that heats the water and t. the stove is connected via a stove pipe to a concrete unit (closure plate) . It fits at the base of the chimmney . The plumber put some rock wool around the stove pipe where it connects into the closure plate. It went up in flames in 2011. there should have been a collar around the stove pipe that connected into the closure plate . I noticed that when i looked up the opeing into the chimmney there was no chimmney liner, all i could see was blocks.

I am not sure of the regulations but I thought there should be, the builder said that it wasnt a requirement.

i am worried that the soot etc will fall onto the ledges around the chimmney(closure plate) and may go afire. I was thinking of getting a metal chimmney liner inserted.

thanks you
    walter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

New_Girl wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm in need of chimney help and advice... Almost every section of the clay lining in my chimney is cracked as is the pot and bit the pot sits on outside. I would like to get it up and running again but with a multi fuel inset stove rather than the current open fire.

I keep hearing different things about what I should do to fix it with wildly varying costs. Any suggestions on what should be done to comply with building regulations? Someone said to me that the old clay liner should come out but that just installing a new flexible steel liner does not count as a chimney and thus wouldn't comply. So far I have been told the following by professionals:
    a) remove old clay liner and replace with flexible liner, b) new flexible liner leaving in old clay liner. A friend said in the UK you can do some sort of balloon and ceramic job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m really confused and don’t want to fork out thousands only to have a bad job done.
    Thanks

Hi:) As said line the existing clay flue with a 904 grade flexible liner. Refit a new chimney pot and mortar it on and have the new liner go to the top of the new chimney pot and get a chimney cowl fitted. You could backfill the gap between new liner and old clay liner with vermiculite. This would keep everything in place.
    You can buy cowels that are push fit with a big jubilee clip.
    Connect the stoves rigid black enamel pipe to the flexible liner with the appropriate adapter. Job done:) Probably a day and a halfs work even doing a new closure plate at the base of the chimney.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

walter007 wrote: »
    Hi folks

thanks you
    walter

It would be a very good idea to fit the liner. Much safer and easier to sweep and no fire risk.

Stove Fan:)

Advertisement