Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephony Maintenance

Options
  • 17-11-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what support companies other people use for their Telephony Systems in work. I only know of 4 companies at the moment, Datapoint, BT, Calyx and Kaptec but am just wondering if there are others out there and what their experiences have been. We are possibly looking at a big upgrade from our digital Avaya system to a VoIP solution in the next year or 2 but would like to have a broad range of choices foe consultancy etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

It's not uncommon these days for the IT guys to take over this sort of area themselves, especially as you move firmly into the VoIP area. The proprietary stuff will keep the established players going for a while but VoIP is much more open and once setup can probably be looked after and maintained by any competent IT Helpdesk monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

bhickey wrote: »
    It's not uncommon these days for the IT guys to take over this sort of area themselves, especially as you move firmly into the VoIP area. The proprietary stuff will keep the established players going for a while but VoIP is much more open and once setup can probably be looked after and maintained by any competent IT Helpdesk monkey.

I really wish this could be the case but with a complicated beast of a dialler at the heart of our system I don't think we could ever get away from a BP! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    ..... a complicated beast of a dialler .....

I've heard tell of such a beast but never yet had the need or opportunity to tackle one. Just out of curiosity, would you care to elaborate on the sort of things that it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Basically, you dump a db of phone numbers into it and it will dial the numbers for you and only present to an available agent if a human being picks up the call. It can detect voicemail and busy tones so agents aren't wasting time dialling and waiting, it improves productivity greatly.

Downside is that it really is the most complicated piece of kit I have ever seen!!! Dive into this at your peril and be prepared for a lot of hardship. Ours was installed in Jan '09 and we are only now at a stage where we are 90% happy with it, most day to day tasks and lists are fine, just some underlying issues that are hard to get sorted. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

calyx have some good Avaya Engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Calyx are now known as Unity Technology Solutions who also provide MX-ONE Telephony Server systems from Aastra (formerly Ericsson Enterprise). Web at www.unity.ie

Advertisement