Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many modules do you need to pass...

Options
  • 17-11-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

In order to pass successfully into second year? Someone told me you're able to fail no more than two modules. I'm doing Arts by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Well, in order to get E(c) i.e pass by compensation, you need to pass 75% of your modules, and have over 36.5% in the failed ones.

An E(c) will be grade point of 2.0, but will still get you 5 credits.

Given that you are doing arts, with it's continuous stage two, compensation will not be given until the end of year 3. So this year, and next year, you have to pass 75% of your modules.

edit : sorry thought you said you were IN year two.

You need to pass 75% of your year one exams to pass into year two. the rest MUST be compensated, i.e E(c).

Any grade lower than an E, will mean you HAVE to repeat/Resit, regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Well basically I know I'm gonna fail my History module - but I'm only doing one History module anyway and I never want to touch it again - can I not just fail and leave it? I like all my other modules and am in no danger of failing them - I don't even know why I picked History. I thought all you had to do was pass 10 modules - because 1st year doesn't go toward your degree anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    . I thought all you had to do was pass 10 modules - because 1st year doesn't go toward your degree anyway.
    Passing 10 modules (50 credits) will allow you to progress to 2nd year. And as TheVoodoo outlined above, some of those 10 modules may included compensated grades. However, you will still have to repeat/substitute the 1st year modules you fail - you will not have completed stage 1 until you do this. First year doesn't count toward your degree but you still need to pass it, and that means completing 60 credits/12 modules.

What history module are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I'm doing Modern Europe.

How am I meant to repeat / substitute a module?

It's still not too late to put in study etc and pass.. I personally wouldn't think about failing until it's happened. Negativity won't help..

But. Here ya go anway.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

OP - have you been to any lectures and tutorials? Did you hand in an essay?

Essay and tutorials are worth a total of 40% in that module. If you did your essay and went to any tutorials its not a hard one to pass if you do even a little bit of work from now. As far as I remember there are 10 questions on the paper - 5 from part one of the course and 5 from part two. So really you need to know 1 topic from part one and 1 from part 2. Print of the lecture notes, do the required reading for your chosen topics and google around a bit. If you put 10 hours into it you'll easily pass...
    Seriously, you might hate the subject but its not worth the hassle of failing something - just put a bit of effort in in the next couple of weeks and you'll be ok for a D anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Its (unfortunately imo) remarkably difficult to fail most first year modules if you put in even a small amount of work. It definitely not too late to put some work into it and get a pass and then not have to worry about it again, saving yourself a couple of hundred quid in the process.

I think that's a much better idea than giving up, and then having to take an extra module (a repeat/resit, or a different module) on top of your 2nd year modules, in a year that counts towards your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Does anyone know if compensation is allowed in Science stage 1? If it is would you have to repeat/resit next semester even if you compensate? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Victoria. wrote: »
    Does anyone know if compensation is allowed in Science stage 1? If it is would you have to repeat/resit next semester even if you compensate? Thanks

Yes, it is allowed. I don't know if TheVoodoo is right when he says "An E(c) will be grade point of 2.0, but will still get you 5 credits." I was always under the assumption that an E(c) was a 1.6. But you do still get your 5 credits. If you repeated the module or resat the exam, that it was capped at 2.0. I'm open to correction on that. If you substitute the module for a different one, then there is no cap.

If you compensate, it counts it as a pass and you do not have to repeat/resit/substitute that module.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Improbable wrote: »
    Yes, it is allowed. I don't know if TheVoodoo is right when he says "An E(c) will be grade point of 2.0, but will still get you 5 credits." I was always under the assumption that an E(c) was a 1.6. But you do still get your 5 credits. If you repeated the module or resat the exam, that it was capped at 2.0. I'm open to correction on that.

Yep you're right on that. Check out: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf
    Page 7 under E Grade and P(C) Grade

If you substitute the module for a different one, then there is no cap.

Also correct if its an option or elective. See: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/academic_regs.pdf
    5.14 paragraph 4.

If its a core module that you have gotten permission to substitute then the GPA is capped at 2.
    5.14 paragraph 3

• Advertisement

OP - have you been to any lectures and tutorials? Did you hand in an essay?

Essay and tutorials are worth a total of 40% in that module. If you did your essay and went to any tutorials its not a hard one to pass if you do even a little bit of work from now. As far as I remember there are 10 questions on the paper - 5 from part one of the course and 5 from part two. So really you need to know 1 topic from part one and 1 from part 2. Print of the lecture notes, do the required reading for your chosen topics and google around a bit. If you put 10 hours into it you'll easily pass...
    Seriously, you might hate the subject but its not worth the hassle of failing something - just put a bit of effort in in the next couple of weeks and you'll be ok for a D anyway.

essay is worth 40, tutorials are worth 20. The final exam is only worth 40

Yes, it is allowed. I don't know if TheVoodoo is right when he says "An E(c) will be grade point of 2.0, but will still get you 5 credits." I was always under the assumption that an E(c) was a 1.6. .

My bad, You're right. I think the 2.0 must be the capped resit GPA value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    essay is worth 40, tutorials are worth 20. The final exam is only worth 40

Sorry about that, I did it last year.

Advertisement