Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel O Connells pistols for sale in the US

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Interesting. The Lang address / date rule out that they were the ones used in the infamous duel with d'Esterre. I'd love better provenance from Lang - auctioneer's blurb states them to be about 1840, which was the foundation date of the Repeal Association, whose aims advocated the use of force.... could it be possible that they were a 'pointed' gift??
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

They should be seized and displayed in Irish museums, our history shouldnt have a price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

They should be seized and displayed in Irish museums, our history shouldnt have a price!

Ha Ha! There's a joke there somewhere!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

The price of Irish history is 80,000! Love to be able to buy them and point both barrels up a certain politicians.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

They look fantastic. Some craft went into that pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

nicest pair Ive seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

It would be nice if they went to an Irish museum! Can about 7999 of you guys spare a tenner for a good cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

It would be nice if they went back to Derrynane house (now herritage center) in Caherdaniel. As a child I remember visiting the place and seeing some nice stuff there including an unusual looking blunderbuss gun.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

realmadrid wrote: »
    The price of Irish history is 80,000! Love to be able to buy them and point both barrels up a certain politicians.......

I'm working Mrs Harmoniums over right now, see if she's OK with me bidding on this.
    BTW, these are Howdah pistols (double barrel) so it would be 4 barrels you'd point at them

harmoniums wrote: »
    so it would be 4 barrels you'd point at them

To be sure, to be sure, no flies on Daniel then :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

harmoniums wrote: »
    ... BTW, these are Howdah pistols (double barrel) so it would be 4 barrels you'd point at them
    More correctly they are 'houdah pistols' called after the saddle / passenger compartment on top of an elephant or camel.

The double-barreled large-calibre configuration was designed primarily as a defensive weapon to stop large predatory animals encountered by colonists during the days of the Raj. They also found their way to North America where they were used against grizzly bears and mountain lions. These are mini-artillery pieces.

Did the bould Daniel ever go out with the tiger-wallahs on safari or a buffalo hunt or was it just irate spouses he was in fear of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

They're Houdah pistols alright. does anyone have a link to the catalogue? The republican thing seems to have died down slightly - these might represent value at the right price

spyderski wrote: »
    They're Houdah pistols alright. does anyone have a link to the catalogue? The republican thing seems to have died down slightly - these might represent value at the right price

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/51/lid/1095

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

bullets wrote: »
    It would be nice if they went back to Derrynane house (now herritage center) in Caherdaniel. As a child I remember visiting the place and seeing some nice stuff there including an unusual looking blunderbuss gun.

~B

These pistols were definitely in Derrynane at one stage. They must have been on loan I presume.

I wonder how many other nations let go their heritage so cheaply. We can spend millions on voting machines, but thousands on pistols....... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

spyderski wrote: »

I am not sure about that really, there was an auction at whytes last saturday where much of the nationalist and republican Independence era items (including guns) sold very well.

Morlar wrote: »
    I am not sure about that really, there was an auction at whytes last saturday where much of the nationalist and republican Independence era items (including guns) sold very well.

the no1mk3 enfield used in the war of independance went for 3600 euro
    the Kavanagh rifled muzzle loader went for 650 euro
    the Webley 455 pistol went for 2700 euro

were they were de-activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

[QUOTE=
    the Webley 455 pistol went for 2700 euro

were they were de-activated?[/QUOTE]

I would say the pistol was de activated or would have to be .As the present goverment have insured that no new pistol licences will be granted from the 18th nov 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I know of another of Dannys pistols in this world thats for sale.Very reasonable too..Under 10K, and with letters of authentication from the great man himself private collector who will sell it back to the Irish at a very reasonable rate.But I'll be dammed if I will buy it or reveal its location so that it could be brought back here to be swiped by this nation of ingrates!Sell and ignore your history,you deserve to have none of its benefits.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I know of another of Dannys pistols in this world thats for sale.Very reasonable too..Under 10K, and with letters of authentication from the great man himself private collector who will sell it back to the Irish at a very reasonable rate.But I'll be dammed if I will buy it or reveal its location so that it could be brought back here to be swiped by this nation of ingrates!Sell and ignore your history,you deserve to have none of its benefits.

I'm very very interested in this, could you PM me some more info?

• Advertisement
Advertisement