Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure How to Proceed

Options
  • 17-11-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is a strange one and I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how to proceed:

I interviewed for a job and the following day received an email from HR asking for references and to fill out some forms. I gave them a call to see if this meant I was successful, to which they gave a convoluted answer, basically 'yes, pending references'. I said I had a few questions about the particulars of the job and I was told to forward these questions via email which I did. A few days later a different HR person emailed back with answers to half the questions and said that Original HR person would get back to me with the rest. 4 working days later, still no response from Original HR (who was CCed on all email contact).
    In the meantime I decided not to take the job (personal reasons) and gave them an email saying so and apologising for any inconvenience caused. This was 4 working days ago and I still haven't gotten any acknowledgment that they received my email, let alone answers to the questions.

I did try calling but always got an out of office message.

Should I just forget about it and stop being such a worrywart? Or send another email asking if they received my original? Is it just me or does the lack of contact seem quite peculiar?

This is quite a large company so I don't think it's a case of someone going on holidays and forgetting to turn their 'out of office' on...

The reason I care is because I know some of the people in the company and want to get in touch with them, but not until I know that HR has communicated to them that I won't be taking the job (keep with official procedures etc etc).

Any comments or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It sounds like you don't have any sort of offer (written or by email) to officially accept or turn down, which seems quite unprofessional.

Personally I think you've done as much as you can.

I don't like tarring all professions with one brush, but HR departments are not always the most efficient - so I wouldn't be overly surprised by the lack of communications. The fact that it's a large company doesn't make it much less likely either; I'd say the opposite. Things can fall between the cracks a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

I would wait another few days and if they still don't get back to you maybe contact the people that you know to let them know the story. Overall you shouldn't get too worried about it, you have done what is necessary with regards to HR in the company.

Advertisement