Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite Supermarket

• 17-11-2010 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

What brand are you loyal to...price vs quality...local produce etc.

Favourite Supermarket 112 votes

Tesco
    0% 0 votes
    SuperQuinn, Value
    24% 27 votes
    Aldi, Lidl
    19% 22 votes
    Dunnes
    29% 33 votes
    M&S
    14% 16 votes
    Other
    12% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

redtube.

i like to get free meat there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I shop in Dunne's, I do go to tescos occasionally (once every 2-3 months) I hate the lay out of their store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

supervalu, i buy as much irish as i can and i tend to find that they stock the most garaunteed irish produce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

The supermarket we use most is Maxi. Its like Tesco only Canadian :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I voted for Superquinn purely for the free cheese samples they give out. Ive often done more than one lap of the cheese counter section in Blanch.

They used to be too expensive, but theyve great deals on now and their Essential own brand stuff is really reasonable. But its the free cheese mainly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm not loyal to any one-all that's in my town in Super Valu and Aldi. I do my shopping in either or.
    I've shopped in every one of the ones listed in the poll-it all just depends on where i am and how handy they are for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Online shopping with Tesco for the win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Across the pond it's Trader Joe's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

How do you have superquinn and supervalu in the same option? They are two completely different supermarkets! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What brand are you loyal to...price vs quality...local produce etc.

Superquinn would still be seen as more high end so having it in with Supervalu doesnt work, and Aldi has a very high level of Irish produced product v Lidl so if this is free market research exercise you messed up!

M & S all theway, expensive but very good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tescos, although I would go to M&S for their morning breads (crumpets/muffins/soda/potato breads), or to treat my self ocassionly if they had one near by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

M&S, no question. Too expensive to do all the shopping there though, so Tesco and Lidl are the usual haunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

irish-stew wrote: »
    Tescos, although I would go to M&S for their morning breads (crumpets/muffins/soda/potato breads), or to treat my self ocassionly if they had one near by.

I dont shop at M&S myself..Tesco seems to be the best value because I dont like Aldi,Lidls quality (or am I missing something)....

Anyway, people think Walmart is brilliant....so far I think its **** - too big, the store is the size of a football pitch and everything is kinda pricey...got to check out Carrafour next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Walmart! :p

Not really, I shop at Aldi which is 5 minutes from the house. A pile of stuff keeps me going for 2 weeks or so for $40 and good quality too. Even the produce is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

If it weren't for price, obviously Superquinn and M&S. Can't beat Superquinn's bakery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote: »
    Walmart! :p
    You just had to say the W-word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Tescos just because in LIDL if I have to stand behind another person buying enough to feed a small army when I just want 5 things and no other till opens up I will have to self destruct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Tesco for my main shop.

Lidl for chocolate and cola, as well as their occasional interesting products like ostrich and springbok steaks.

Aldi for the convenience being right by college.

I'd rather go hungry for the night than shop in Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

wherever is closest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I dont shop at M&S myself..Tesco seems to be the best value because I dont like Aldi,Lidls quality (or am I missing something)....

Your missing something..........I would rate Aldi quality high apart from the fruit and veg which doesn't last. Aldi have some very good quality Irish produced products at good prices, Lidl can be so so but the chocolate is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

ALdi/Lidl at this time of year to avoid all the crap xmas music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

orourkeda wrote: »
    redtube.

i like to get free meat there

Unlike most supposed cases out there, I think you might genuinely be a sex addict, judging by a lot of your posts!!

I lol'd the other day at one of your posts about a sweaty ****!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Marks and spencers because of there cookies :D

SuperValue ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

baldbear wrote: »
    ALdi/Lidl at this time of year to avoid all the crap xmas music.

Aldi/Lidl don't play any music? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't wait to read about this survey in tomorrow's paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Columbia wrote: »

Really? I'd sooner eat than starve on principle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I like Lidl/Aldi, as a scanger on the bus put it "de fookin' beers durt cheep"

Columbia wrote: »
    Tesco for my main shop.

Lidl for chocolate and cola, as well as their occasional interesting products like ostrich and springbok steaks.

Aldi for the convenience being right by college.

Id damn near go hungry for the night than shop in Tesco. Dunnes are way ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

Dunnes have the best fruit n veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I don't do the household shopping, cause I have a penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Go to Lidl mostly followed by supavalu to get things i can't get in Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

anniehoo wrote: »
    But its the free cheese mainly :D

You'll be laughing this xmas so,no need for Sq,all the free cheese you want courtesy of the government.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we shop at super-value, its great and cheaper than dunnes and tescos for the products we buy, and

every month we get 5% off so we do our big shop then to get the benefits of that, with every shop we get points for the 5%, and we get our get-away points, and on top of those at the moment we get points for a half price turkey and stamps that get you supervalue vouchers worth upto €100 all in all i get more money back from them, then dunnes or tesco ever gave us!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Find Tesco to be the cheapest for household items.

M&S for food, they are actually not as expensive as people believe, they do some good offers, its a case of looking for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Aldi, because they seem to stock more irish products than all tthe rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tesco, but sometimes buy a few things in M&S. Mmm, cookies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Superquinn, because I am a distinguished gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tesco ftw. There's all this talk of it taking over the world or something, but as long as it keeps producing that hummus and those "Finest" yogurts and bickies, I don't give a sh1te.
    smk89 wrote: »
    Tescos just because in LIDL if I have to stand behind another person buying enough to feed a small army when I just want 5 things and no other till opens up I will have to self destruct
    "Mmm... It's CRAAAAAAAAN-tastic!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

local shop. that way the money is going back into the community, as opposed to the bank balance of some English / German multi-national. They prices are actually pretty close ( excluding own brand ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tesco so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

johnn wrote: »
    I don't do the household shopping, cause I have a penis.

You send your penis to do the shopping?

That's handy.

Advertisement