Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

• 17-11-2010 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

How does everyone study geography? I'm thinking about writing notes but it seems that theres alot of stuff to take down to condense the info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Borak

Detanon wrote: »
    How does everyone study geography? I'm thinking about writing notes but it seems that theres alot of stuff to take down to condense the info.

Whatever way you want, do it the way you'll memorize a good bit of the info, but don't stress yourself as it won't pay off, when the LC comes. This isn't a do your best moment, sadly, as a good result is vital for college.

But yeah, I'd say write notes of pretty much anything that will prove useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Studunne

Hi detanon

As a student who is currently repeating i'll give some (hopefully helpful) advice.

REMEMBER the leaving cert is a MEMORY TEST espicially geography with the same questions that come up every year eg Human interference with surface processes.

Your best mark is learn off sample essays a great book is exam skills geography by sue honan which has evry essay that could come up in it.

During class take down notes, keep them short and sweet and as colourful as possibe. Use spider diagrams for topics ie put volcanoes in the centre of the page and put down everything you know about them. Then use your book or notes, and add to the list

Hope this helps
    regards

stu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Get Dan Sheedy's revision book...think it shortcuts to success.

Learn off the sample answers in this book. Read them, read them again and again untill you can write them out without looking at the book.

This is what I did and I got an A1, only picked up geography in second year too.

It goes without saying to nail your field trip report.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

For Geography, dont forget that you need SRP's - specific relevent points.
    Usually there is aound 12 of these for each long answer , a diagram is one and so is an example.
    For the Essay in the end for 80 marks, best thing to do is learn that off by heart, for me its ok as im doiing geoecology for that and the questions are usally soil characteristics or adaptions of biomes.
    remember in geography, the people correcting your test will look for points to take off you, so make sure your answers are well structured and make sense as you read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I wrote out a list of all the long questions to do with each section. Now I'm working my way through these, ensuring I have at least 16/17 SRP's in each. By writing out these and learning them pretty well it also covers me for the short questions...well thats what works for me anyway. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Look at your notes.
    Take the most important and main sentences and write out bullet points.
    Put the most important words in red.
    Keep reading over them.
    Then re-write the red words onto a page or card, and store them.

This helps so much. When you read the words just before the exam, its so much better then trying to read the whole sentence. Worked for me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Get Dan Sheedy's revision book...think it shortcuts to success.

Learn off the sample answers in this book. Read them, read them again and again untill you can write them out without looking at the book.

This is what I did and I got an A1, only picked up geography in second year too.

It goes without saying to nail your field trip report.

There are so many sample answers in it.
    Is is actually possible to learn them all off?

What did you use for the Elective and Option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    There are so many sample answers in it.
    Is is actually possible to learn them all off?

What did you use for the Elective and Option?

Elective was patterns and processes in the human enviroment and option was geocology.

It's not easy to learn them all off but tbh it's the best use of your study time.
    So many people read through, and get bogged down on so much waffle in the book.

My advice would be to read 2 sample answers, 4 nights a week. Write down clearly the srps he has in each question. Don't try and learn his answers word for word, just strip out all his srps and learn them off. You can use your own words to express these srps, it dosen't matter, just so long as they are actually included.

Btw, note in all his sample answers, his first sentence is always linked back to the question. This is vital also. Don't forget to include examples and diagrams where necessary, sometimes there are marks designated for these.

Trust me, if you study this way for geography you'll get at the very least a B1, and there is a huge chance of an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Elective was patterns and processes in the human enviroment and option was geocology.

It's not easy to learn them all off but tbh it's the best use of your study time.
    So many people read through, and get bogged down on so much waffle in the book.

My advice would be to read 2 sample answers, 4 nights a week. Write down clearly the srps he has in each question. Don't try and learn his answers word for word, just strip out all his srps and learn them off. You can use your own words to express these srps, it dosen't matter, just so long as they are actually included.

Btw, note in all his sample answers, his first sentence is always linked back to the question. This is vital also. Don't forget to include examples and diagrams where necessary, sometimes there are marks designated for these.

Trust me, if you study this way for geography you'll get at the very least a B1, and there is a huge chance of an A1.

I'm also doing Elective: Patterns and processes in the human environment and Option: Geocology.

What books did you use to revise them is what I meant to ask?

Ok, so write out SRP's and learn them per sample answer rather than learning the whole paragraph off. Okay.

But you know the parts in the book, in say the regional, where it doesn't have sample answers but rather a small paragraph on ADMINISTRATIVE REGION say.. Should I learn them off as well?
    Or could I do w/out them?

Thanks a million btw.

Advertisement