Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Consumer Unit/Fuse Board

Options
  • 17-11-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Moving Consumer Unit/Fuse Board.

Our front door was moved to the front of the porch. Now my wife wants the fuse board moved nearer the front door, and below the esb meter. This would entail a move of about half a meter downwards and half a meter to the right.

The problem with this is that the cables for the upstairs circuits would no longer reach the fuse board.

To rectify the problem, is it as simple as extending the cables with some sort of junction boxes?

And what would a ball park figure be for that work?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that you will find that this will cost quite a lot as every circuit will have to be extended. As a general rule it is not desirable to join any cable especially for circuits that carry large currents unless you have no choice. Besides the junction box may look worse than the distribution board that you have at present!! The best/neatest option is to rewire and redecorate which would cost more than a few bob.

What about upgrading the distribution board for something that looks better or is more discreet ? Perhaps a unit can be built around it or you might be able to sink it into the wall if the house is timber frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Good advice there, its a straight forward job when the cables dont have to be extended. It does not sound worth while moving it once the cables are too short. But it may not be certain they need extending, depending where they go above the ceiling, but likely if your moving it toward the front door. I did lots where they were in a meter box inside the door near the ground, but they were moving onto the wall so there was plenty of slack on cables.

Upgrading and sinking it into the wall is something that can make them very tidy alright, if there is a dry lined wall etc. Take a pic of it as is showing the consumer unit and meter in the same pic if you can and put it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

It's a solid wall, no dry-lining.The downstairs circuits go under the suspended wooden floor and there is a lot of slack on them. I measured the two lengths, old and new, and they are about the same. I can't see where the down stairs lighting circuit goes.

I don't know if there is any slack in the upstairs cables. Need batteries for my camera before i take a pic (where do I upload it to?)

The fuse board is quite large as there are surge protectors and a shower preference circuit. i have a lot of electronic and computer systems, so I need clean lines. When they switched on the Dundrum Town Centre they tripped a large area around it. lost modems but i'm not sure if that was the telephone line.

trying to convince the wife into leaving the fb where it is using the japanese case. They think the Dyson vacuum is a work of art and instead of putting it in a cupboard, they leave it on display!

Edit: Never thought of a cupboard. Also looking at Hager units to see if there is something suitable

Sounds like you will be leaving it where it is, the wall would have to be chased and all, a big job overall for the sake of only moving the board a small distance.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Sounds like you will be leaving it where it is, the wall would have to be chased and all, a big job overall for the sake of only moving the board a small distance.

Yep. And finances are very stretched at the moment

• Advertisement

Yep. And finances are very stretched at the moment

If you take a photo you can upload it to here and some posters here might be able to make some suggestions.

Look for the attach.gifsymbol when typing a reply, its at the top of the window, and a new window opens, allowing you to browse to and upload your photo on your pc, it will appear as a link then in your post. You can put photos on a hosting site so they appear as photos in the post but the above will do for this.

A neatly made press may be a good option, but a photo or 2 might lead to some good suggestions.

:rolleyes:
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    If you take a photo you can upload it to here and some posters here might be able to make some suggestions.

Look for the attach.gifsymbol when typing a reply, its at the top of the window, and a new window opens, allowing you to browse to and upload your photo on your pc, it will appear as a link then in your post. You can put photos on a hosting site so they appear as photos in the post but the above will do for this.

A neatly made press may be a good option, but a photo or 2 might lead to some good suggestions.

I'll probably go with a small press and if there's room, I'll keep my good tools there, ones that I don't want to leave in the garage.

I'm decorating a bedroom at the moment, a room that we used as storage when my mother was alive. Never thought I'd see the day when it was empty again.

Most of the stuff went into my Ma's old room :):( it's a bit like one of those tile puzzles where you move around the pieces to solve it. We'll be culling a lot of stuff before we put things back in the bedroom.

Might see about the cu/fb next year.

Advertisement