Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are online arguments REAL..?

• 17-11-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

More and more I find myself defending what I'm saying online...whether it's here, or any other sites. I find myself getting wound up and typing the keys on the keyboard harder, and in temper:mad:

So why do I get so annoyed at a screen and a keyboard when I don't even KNOW the people I'm defending myself to????

Are online arguments REAL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah, everybody's a keyboard warrior at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No they're not and I'll batter anyone who says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

If ya get that worked up over it they must be :D

Think everyone has come away from here very angry/pissed off at some stage but ya have to take it with a pinch of salt some people are just wind up merchants!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The interwebz is serious business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

so it's not just me that gets seriously p*ssed off online sometimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

No they're not and I'll batter anyone who says otherwise.

tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Look the easiest way to settle an online argument is to ask said person or persons to meet you for real in 3D for a fight. Works everytime.

I've won four street fights I started on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Online Arguments aren't real, really.

You can just ignore someone if you don't like or agree with what they're saying. Also, many people resort to things that would result in a punch to the face if you did it in real life, such as :rolleyes: after every point made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I have said it once and i will say it again;
    Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics. Even if you win, your still retarded.

damn turtyturd bet me to it :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I suppose it depends on the forum.

Here in AH i'd say most of the comments will err on the side of flippancy. IN the Military or Aviation and Aircraft fora it generally tends to be a bit less flippant.

A&A will rarely degenerate into a scrap match, but the military forums can get quite heated, and i have to admit to getting a little bit carried away with myself there too.

It's the only forum i got a wrist slap suspension from!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Arguing on the internet is like winning gold in the special olympics ..... nobody cares and nobody's even watching you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 thankswhore

sometimes the words on the screen attack your brain and your feelings. it happends but you've got to be strong, sometimes after an e-argument my feelings are sore for about 3/4's of the day, then i got to sleep for the last quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

nah they arent real

if you really believe what you are saying and care about it then you dont care about the randomer on the other end of the line

and if you dont really care about what your saying then your just enjoying the fact that they are getting so worked up about it

so its not real either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Arguing on the internet is kinda like arguing with some drunk stranger in a pub.
    You don't know them and would smack them if you could get away with it.
    That said I have changed my mind on several topics from what I have read on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Arguing on the internet is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.....

/Swiss Toni.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Companero

bring out the worst in human psychology: Agressiveness that is not tempered by concerns for physical safety or embrassment.

In real 3d life, all but the strongest people are scared of arguement and confrontation and become accomodating people in order to avoid it. Online, every wimp has the protection that distance and anonymity gives them, so they are free to let out all the aggresive urges that they are too weak to express in real life. This is why all Youtube comments degenerate ofter 2 or 3 pages to: "Wull at least Im not gay mister ****** brain gay bumboy.." In real life only the strongest/drunkest/most deranged people are free to tell others what they really feel. On the internet everybody is.

This process is similar to Road Rage, as Dylan Moran so perceptively pointed out: You get two people passing each other in the street and it's so polite: You do that little dance, "Oops , excuse me, opps we went the wrong way again, good heavens what a to-do!" : When the same thing happens in a car , you're foaming behind the wheel shouting at somebody that cuts you off shouting "You Spunkbucket!" the difference? A sheet of class 1/4 of a centimetre thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

with respect, I haven't a clue what that previous post means:confused:

Ok, I was just checkin if I was losing my mind....so it's not real...great, sorted, thanks:)

sorry, editing here, coz I just re-read your post and now it makes perfect sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Arguing with a stranger on the likes of boards-no it's not real. You might get annoyed, get it off your chest and get over it. Least that's what i do.

Of course if it's someone you know in real life, and they start getting personal or throwing sly digs, then that's a bit different..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Yeah, I've had arguments (other forums, not here) that have stayed with me long after I've stepped away from the computer and probably sent my blood pressure sky high. Ridiculous really.

I'm getting better as I get older, but this still speaks to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You're all nazis!

Godwins Law baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

chin_grin wrote: »
    You're all nazi's!

Apostrophe nazis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Diapason wrote: »
    Apostrophe nazis?

You startin' are yeh? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've made one or two real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

biko wrote: »
    Arguing on the internet is kinda like arguing with some drunk stranger in a pub.
    You don't know them and would smack them if you could get away with it.
    That said I have changed my mind on several topics from what I have read on the internet.
    SPLITTER!!!!:pac:

I've never been to a boardies beers but I'm sure that if I went I would find the people I disagree with the most the soundest of the bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bonerm wrote: »
    Arguing on the internet is like winning gold in the special olympics ..... nobody cares and nobody's even watching you.

oh they're watching, they're watching all of us.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

This is interesting b/c it all depends on the forum. The fact that the forums are modded helps curb peoples worst excesses - but there is still a huge variation.

AH is generally peaceful enough, unless somebody goes overboard with a sexist/racist comment . Arts/maths & other interest groups are also generally civilised but the occasional bit of selfrighteous indignation.

But, oddly, if you really want to see skin & hair flying, the Christianity or Atheism threads are the best. If there was an AH drinks night in Cork, I'd probably go. If there was an atheism or christianty drinks night, I think I'd just stay at home, and alert the emergency services....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The most I get is frustrated and my language gets a bit more colourful because I stop self-moderating (I swear a lot, doesn't mean I'm angry.. I just like cussin'! :pac:) and it disappears as soon as I leave the computer. I've never carried anger past the actual argument before.. I'm like that in real life though, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I don't understand what you mean by real. Online arguments are quite obviously real in terms of they exist. Online discussion often has well thought out and reasoned point of views, it is all dependent on where this discussion occurs.
    These discussions are what they are, attaching the word REAL to them does not change the nature of them.

Considering the amount of time people spend arguing/debating online, one would hope there is merit to it. I certainly think there is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fittle wrote: »

So why do I get so annoyed at a screen and a keyboard when I don't even KNOW the people I'm defending myself to????

You're 17?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

They were real until the PUBLIC SECTOR/IMMIGRANTS/GAYS/STUDENTS came along and made them all fake, because those leeches don't like anything being real, they like living in a fantasy world.

Advertisement