Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to repair bad sectors on old hard disk?

• 17-11-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've a couple of old laptop hard disks I'm testing. Disk Sentinal is reporting bad sectors on the drives. Should I dump these drives or is it possible to repair them I have a mate who is interested in the 3 drives but I don't want to sell them to him if they are knackered.

All help appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

General rule of thumb is Bad sector = dump disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Actually, is it possible to recover data from bad sectors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Write zeros to the drives. If a zero can not be written to a sector, get rid of the drive.
    A bad sector can just be corruption so a wipe can sometimes fix.

Usually just replace the drive.
    If it makes odd noises, don't even bother trying to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Cheers lads, the general opinion seems to be dump the drives as bad sectors are bad news. No dig deal, I wouldn't want a mate coming back to me after losing his data, thats for sure:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Going to hijack this thread a bit, does anybody have any advice for this situation.

Got an old Iqon desktop recently and planned to turn it into xp (which was already loaded) and a linux distro dual boot.
    The hard drive shown was named partion1
    Basically due to a massive amount of malware and my incompetence (turning off system restore at a stage to soon). Pc no longer booted to windows xp.
    Tried to reinstal xp, xp picked up hard drive fine (with two partions the first what i presume was the windows system resume partion ~2gigs and second the main 55gig ntfs partion)
    XP didn't install (due to bad cd)
    Decided I might as well set up setup linux on it and arrange the hard drive for when I get windows xp again at a later stage.
    Booted puppyLinux live cd
    Ran it, mounted the both the SDA1 (small) and SDA2 (large ntfs) fine.
    Ran GParted
    GParted was showing the small partition with an locked symbol at this stage
    Decided would create new partition map and create new partitions (which would format the drive)
    Did this, got an error message saying operations could not be completed (occured after 2 seconds).
    As drive had no valuable data on it wasn't bothered.
    Now however (including after reloading live cd)
    GParted shows none of the partitions, instead single entry (grey) with full hard drive size, however it says file system can not be determined, and any time I try and format it fails due to error.
    Used the broken windows xp disk to check and failing at much earlier stage.

Sorry for exceedingly long post (late nite rambling and frustration) but could you
    recommend

a simpler hard drive error checking live cd (MHDD looks too complex) to show me if the hard drive is too damaged for use (it ran xp fine but unreliebaly and slowly but presumed that was due to malware, now after this wondering about hard drive)

a fairly simple live cd with a good formatting tool on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

a simpler hard drive error checking live cd (MHDD looks too complex) to show me if the hard drive is too damaged for use

Universal Boot CD has a whole load of hard disk stuff on it.

Advertisement