Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike TV's Video Game Awards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Apologies for the long opening thread. Some great competition in there. I think Game of the year is Black OPS but Red Dead shiite will probably win.

So Assassins Creed Brotherhood thats out Friday will be in next years game awards? That will blow all these games out of the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Apologies for the long opening thread. Some great competition in there. I think Game of the year is Black OPS but Red Dead shiite will probably win.

So Assassins Creed Brotherhood thats out Friday will be in next years game awards? That will blow all these games out of the water!
    Red Dead deserves to beat Black Ops.Much better game

Although I read into these awards as much as newspaper ads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just FYI the Spike VGAs are December 11th. I'm expecting ME2/Bioware to make a 3-sweep for the big-uns, Red Dead, SMG2 and i've no idea about the rest.

Much like the GT awards, it's annoying to see "Best 360 Game" not being "Best Exclusive 360 game". Since "Game of the Year" is multiplatform, 360 and PS3 should have exclusive awards. That really defines how good a console's year has been. Not to mention that if a GotY is multiplatform, there's no point in watching the best 360 or PS3 game awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

All these videogame awards seem to be just popularity contests, at least that's what I'm getting from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No surprises. Spike TV is pretty populist. There's a few big profile games that don't deserve to win anything there. Also some shocking actor awards like sma worthington who is terrible in black ops. I'd rather see some niche games get in but this year the big name games have been very high quality for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No surprises. Spike TV is pretty populist. There's a few big profile games that don't deserve to win anything there. Also some shocking actor awards like sma worthington who is terrible in black ops. I'd rather see some niche games get in but this year the big name games have been very high quality for the most part.

I want Call of Pripyat to be nominated for a GoTY, I haven't even played it but SoC was as good (for me) as everyone said and they also say CoP is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Few awards organizations are based upon merit in any field. So, what chance do game journalists, most who know more about film, rather than game, theory, have?

Anyone who thinks Mass Effect 2 was a great or very good game needs to pick up and read a book, watch a film, listen to music, because you may have a better chance of understanding those entertainment pastimes rather than gaming. And I say that as someone who enjoys the Mass Effect series for what it is.

At least we are not yet subjected to utter crap pretentious games getting awards because they actually need them to sell their game. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Fairly good choices in all categories (Best Wii game has me stumped for a choice), but the Best Soundtrack is a joke. 4 music games......come on. Granted they will have a good selection of games but surely they could just be a seperate category, while the likes of Super Mario galaxy 2 and RDR get ignored because they ONLY have around two dozen songs.

Just the thing that bugged me most about the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Mass Effect 2 was a great or very good game needs to pick up and read a book, watch a film, listen to music, because you may have a better chance of understanding those entertainment pastimes rather than gaming. And I say that as someone who enjoys the Mass Effect series for what it is.

I don't understand this statement. Can you go over that again? Thanks.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't understand this statement. Can you go over that again? Thanks.
    It was two statements you quoted. So which of the statements are you referring to? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anyone who thinks Mass Effect 2 was a great or very good game needs to pick up and read a book, watch a film...as someone who enjoys the Mass Effect series for what it is.

Eh what?? Mass Effect 2 is an enjoyable shoot em'up with a very good story which is very refreshing considering theirs far too many brainless shootem'ups currently available, ME2 is one of only a few games this year that had a very good story.

It was two statements you quoted. So which of the statements are you referring to? Thanks.

This one;
    Anyone who thinks Mass Effect 2 was a great or very good game needs to pick up and read a book, watch a film, listen to music, because you may have a better chance of understanding those entertainment pastimes rather than gaming.

Thanks.

As in, is it as simple as this?:

Me: Wow that Mass Effect 2, it sure was swell.
    You: You should go do something else, you don't understand gaming all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Strange list no medal of honor on the shooter list but they have black ops and bioshock 2 !! No F1 for the driving list but they have blur ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Best PC game would be a tough one for me to call, love all those games. Haven't played any of the nominees for GOTY but as long as COD doesn't get it, I'll be happy.

Grayditch wrote: »
    As in, is it as simple as this?:

Me: Wow that Mass Effect 2, it sure was swell.
    You: You should go do something else, you don't understand gaming all that much.

It is a huge leap to go from the statement "it sure was swell" to "Mass Effect 2 is a great game" and therefore deserves to be in the pantheon of great games with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time et cetera. I'm sure you aware of the massive leap, because you disputed my statement first, but then shied away from using the words I explicitly used which were "great" or "very good".

The game did not even pass the first test of matching the original, which was a good game; so, if you think Mass Effect 2 was a great or very good game or game of the year, a year in which Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released (a good comparison, because it was also a second iteration), then you should give-up. Coach is calling you from the bench to give him the ball.

Oh wow. It really was what I thought. Ok, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If FF13 wins any award it's a joke.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nearly all those lists are jokes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least we are not yet subjected to utter crap pretentious games getting awards because they actually need them to sell their game. Right?

I think someone else didn't think the XX should have won a mercury award :)

Got to agree with people holding up so really poor storytelling in games as great because there's not much else out there good. Mass Effect is a decent Space Opera but nothing special. And then there's the comment in the Eurogamer review of GTA4 saying the writing is HBO quality. rollyeyes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

God Of War 3 or RDR for me. Also, the guy who played Marston in RDR should win the actor award, remember him being really good.

• Advertisement

So, Fallout New Vegas didn't make the GOTY category? I didn't play it yet but thought it would. I just hope EA MMA beats UFC Undisputed in the sports category, although I's say Tiger will win that.

Ya, the soundtrack section is a joke! Best song should be Jose Gonzales in RDR. That was an epic horse ride. Pity the rest of the game was a big disappointment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Emmanuelle Chiqwhatever as best actress for reading off some numbers? Ridiculous. Nathan Fllion for a 10 second appearance? Even more ridiculous... Spike awards are a joke, more of a popularity contest than a critics awards, hence why COD wins every year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

"Mass Effect 2 is a great game" and therefore deserves to be in the pantheon of great games with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time et cetera....so, if you think Mass Effect 2 was a great or very good game or game of the year, a year in which Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released (a good comparison, because it was also a second iteration), then you should give-up.

I'm sorry, but that's bollox. I don't think many people will say that it deserves to be up there with Ocarina of Time, but just because it's not as good as one of the best games ever made, doesnt mean it's not a great game. Why can't the game be judged on it's own merits, rather then comparing it to an equally excellent, if completely different genre?

Are there any indie developer awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's bollox. I don't think many people will say that it deserves to be up there with Ocarina of Time, but just because it's not as good as one of the best games ever made, doesnt mean it's not a great game. Why can't the game be judged on it's own merits, rather then comparing it to an equally excellent, if completely different genre?
    I'm with NeoKubrick on this. I enjoyed Mass Effect 2. It's a good game. But it's not a great game. And I certainly wouldn't class it as game of the year.

The actual gameplay is repetative and fairly fiddly. The main storyline is pretty bland. What makes it stand out is the characters design and voice acting, and the side missions/stories. Without those, the game would be just average. With them, I think the game just makes it as being good, and nothing more. But as everyone knows, these things are always subjective. I'm surprised that Alpha Protocol isn't up there, for example.

Looking at the list, it kind of seems that it was a fiarly piss poor year for games. There were a lot of hyped games and pretty much all of them came out as being just "ok". I'm sure there's games that I can't remember, but off the top of my head the only game that really blew me away was Heavy Rain, and that was because it was a complete departure from what you normally get in games. I'd call it my "Game Of The Year", but I know many people hated it.

Also, and maybe I've been hanging around the Conspiracy Theory forum too long, but Bioware are in a lot of categories and have also said that they're announcing their next game at the Spike Awards. Maybe something's up... <_< >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

humanji wrote: »
    I'm with NeoKubrick on this. I enjoyed Mass Effect 2. It's a good game. But it's not a great game. And I certainly wouldn't class it as game of the year.

The actual gameplay is repetative and fairly fiddly. The main storyline is pretty bland. What makes it stand out is the characters design and voice acting, and the side missions/stories. Without those, the game would be just average. With them, I think the game just makes it as being good, and nothing more. But as everyone knows, these things are always subjective. I'm surprised that Alpha Protocol isn't up there, for example.

Looking at the list, it kind of seems that it was a fiarly piss poor year for games. There were a lot of hyped games and pretty much all of them came out as being just "ok". I'm sure there's games that I can't remember, but off the top of my head the only game that really blew me away was Heavy Rain, and that was because it was a complete departure from what you normally get in games. I'd call it my "Game Of The Year", but I know many people hated it.

Also, and maybe I've been hanging around the Conspiracy Theory forum too long, but Bioware are in a lot of categories and have also said that they're announcing their next game at the Spike Awards. Maybe something's up... <_< >_>
    True. The best games this year seemed to come out without too much hype till just before they were out/after

Well, a great game should be defined as something that is a standard bearer for the entire industry. You cannot judge any game on its own merits; you have to compare it to other games and there was no comparison to Ocarina of Time (that was just a reference to an actual 'great' game). Two games that are good for comparison are Super Mario Galaxy 2, because it's a second iteration on an established formula and released in the same year, and Mass Effect 1. The game did not even equal its own predecessor, which was not great or very good by any standards when it was released back then. And, as I've already said, I say that as a fan of the series who has played both games a lot and enjoyed both for what they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For me, Game of the Year means game i enjoyed the most. Not what was most popular, or most innovate or anything else. It's the game that i got the most enjoyement out of, simple as. That's why i had a problem with NeoKubrick saying that if you vote for Mass Effect 2, then you 'should give up'. How can anyone say that because i thought Mass Effect 2 was great, that i don't know what i'm talking about?
    Well, a great game should be defined as something that is a standard bearer for the entire industry. You cannot judge any game on its own merits; you have to compare it to other games and there was no comparison to Ocarina of Time (that was just a reference to an actual 'great' game). Two games that are good for comparison are Super Mario Galaxy 2, because it's a second iteration on an established formula and released in the same year, and Mass Effect 1. The game did not even equal its own predecessor, which was not great or very good by any standards when it was released back then. And, as I've already said, I say that as a fan of the series who has played both games a lot and enjoyed both for what they are.

You see, i'd disagree with that again. A great game doesnt have to be a standard bearer. Games can be great without redefining a genre. It may not be a classic, but it's still a great game. Although this is probably just more of a disagreement over the usage of the word great.

You see, i'd disagree with that again. A great game doesnt have to be a standard bearer. Games can be great without redefining a genre. It may not be a classic, but it's still a great game. Although this is probably just more of a disagreement over the usage of the word great.
    It's a semantic disagreement. Whatever 'word' you use to describe the standard bearer games and the 'words' you use to describe games several tiers below that, Mass Effect 2 is not that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I'm suprised Andy Serkis didn't get a nod in the Best Performance by a Human Male category for Enslaved. The game sure had plenty of problems, but he was great.

Games I hope dont win:
    Final Fantasy 13: cause its one fo the worst games I have ever played, full stop.
    God of War 3: Big disappointment for me for two reasons-firstly they did that thing they always do where you are superpowered at the start but then take your powers away (Its irritating and I'm actually pretty sure I read somewhere before hand that they said they weren't going to do that this time) and secondly because the story turned to crap right at the end and the ending was terrible.
    Fallout New Vegas: Dont get me wrong, I love the game, but its just so buggy that I dont think it deserves any rewards (unless they have rewards for the most buggy games).
    Halo Reach: Cause it was bland. Not painful to play or anything, just bland (and really short).

Advertisement