Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike TV's Video Game Awards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    It's a semantic disagreement. Whatever 'word' you use to describe the standard bearer games and the 'words' you use to describe games several tiers below that, Mass Effect 2 is not that.

Do you allow any room for subjectivity, or are you basing all this on some bizarre fact-based rating system that you've established? I'd love to hear it because I don't think your argument of "YOU can't say it's great, when a game that I like better set the benchmark for that year" cuts it at all.

You know, it's ok to say that you don't think Mass Effect 2 is good or even great, but when you try to bully your point across by questioning people's understanding of gaming for thinking ME2 was great, you come across as pretty pompous. I just thought I should let you know incase you didn't want to come across pompous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Are there any indie developer awards?

Yep, and it's an accurate list imo.

Super Meat Boy
    Limbo
    Joe Danger
    The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom

Didn't go past the trial of Limbo. PB Winterbottom is a decent one. My vote would have to go for SMB though!

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Minecraft should be in that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Yep, and it's an accurate list imo.

Super Meat Boy
    Limbo
    Joe Danger
    The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom

Didn't go past the trial of Limbo. PB Winterbottom is a decent one. My vote would have to go for SMB though!

Wow hard for me to pick a winner there, 4 great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Minecraft should be in that list

It's still in Alpha, so I guess that would exclude it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It is a coincidence that 2D platformer Super Meat Boy shares the same initials as Super Mario Bros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

If call of duty: Black ops gets GOTY I will be angry :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It is a coincidence that 2D platformer Super Meat Boy shares the same initials as Super Mario Bros?

Nope, it was a homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Peace Walker should be in the game of the year group.

Silly to exclude a game of that quality just because it was on a handheld.

Valkyria Chronicles 2? Thought it would have made the handheld list.

Battlefield was awesome - never touched the single player tho.

Loving New Vegas so far.

Yeah Valkyria Chronicles 2 is fantastic and should be on there. Gone from thinking it's a cut down PS3 game to realising it's its own thing and damn good.

Of all the voice actors I think Jennifer Hale should walk away with it. She'll get nominated over a bigger star no doubt but Everytime Jennifer Hale has done a voice I've been very impressed and she has excellent range.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Game of the Year
    I have only played Mass Effect 2. Very much enjoyed it. Had a few flaws. The planet scanning was even worse than the Mako sections in the original ME. The door hacking got tiresome fast. Main storyline was weak and it was repetitive.

On the plus side great side stories which make up more of the game than the actually main story. Gone are the copy and paste environments from ME 1 as well its awful inventory system. Better load times too. Well fleshed out universe, excellent voice acting and the shooting mechanics where improved.

Have Black Ops but waiting on an upgrade before playing it.

Studio of the Year
    Only played Bioware and Blizzard games. I don't really have much reason to pick one over the other.

Best Xbox 360 Game
    Played Mass Effect 2 on PC, so see above. What goes there would go here.

Best PS3 Game
    Played none of these.

Best Wii Game
    Ditto, lost interest in the Wii.

Best PC Game
    Mass Effect 2 see above.
    Fallout New Vegas. I have almost completed. Enjoyable if moderately buggy for me. Lost of some of it wow factor due to how similar it is to Fallout 3. Feels like an expansion except its much bigger than an expansion.
    Civ 5. Again good but not great. Its Civ again, but the A.I is pants. Great multiplayer though. Iffy performance too.
    Starcraft 2: WOL I liked much more than I was expecting. I was burned out on traditional RTS games but this surprisingly had enough variety to keep me interested and playing till the end. The story was well done cheesy B grade
    fair, a guilty pleasure. Very high presentation values. Sure multiplayer is good but I'm not going commit to such a time sink.
    Going opt for SC2.

Best Handheld
    Only played Peace Walker so it gets my nod. Very good. Story thankfully was kept low key for the first 4 chapters but still gets silly towards the end having to tie in to the latter games in the series (stupid MGS2/4). Not as memorable on the character front either, lacking a great villain like Liquid or Volgin or memorable bosses. Lots of content and the gameplay was still fun. Bit too much grinding though. Shame there is only local multiplayer offically.

Best Shooter
    Thought Bad Company 2 was average in the single player department. Could not keep me interested, never bothered finishing it. Not tried multiplayer. Heard good things in general about it.

Bioshock 2. Apathy playing this. Liked the first game but this just seemed to add too little new. Not sure what it is but game just didn't hook me like the first.

Too early to tell here.

Best Action Adventure Game
    Not played anyone of them.

Best RPG
    Mass Effect 2 is a very light RPG, and much closer to a simple 3rd person shooter. I think I would give New Vegas the node over it.

Best Multiplayer
    Can't comment not played multiplayer at all on them.

The next thing I can comment on is. Best Score
    Thought Mass Effect 2 score was awesome. Only one of the nominated I know but it was very good.

Bet performance by a male.
    Only know Martin Sheen's role in ME 2. He was very good. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Best performance by a female.
    Felica Day was solid but unspectacular in New Vegas. Felt more like Felica Day being herself than an actual character,
    Jennifer Hale was excellent as commander Sheppard. She's quality as a boice actress.
    Tricia Helfer was excellent in a quite small role in SC2.
    Yvonne Strahovski was bland as Miranda but I think thats because Miranda was a bland character in ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No sight of gran turismo 5 anywhere what the hell ,. and kirby for best graphics , not trying to bash it but i would consider mario galaxy graphics better than kirby and i havent even played mario game, last time i did i was 8 years old

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No sight of gran turismo 5 anywhere what the hell
    Might be something to do with the fact that it's not even out yet.

Kiith wrote: »
    Might be something to do with the fact that it's not even out yet.

well if thats the case why is donkey kong country returns their , dk out november 21st and gt5 out november 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No sight of gran turismo 5 anywhere what the hell ,. and kirby for best graphics , not trying to bash it but i would consider mario galaxy graphics better than kirby and i havent even played mario game, last time i did i was 8 years old
    Is Gran Turismo 5 even out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Like most, they didn't have a proper release date after the announcment it was to get delayed. Probably figured it wouldn't make it out in time.

Or probably, it's just not that good. ;)

rizzla wrote: »
    Like most, they didn't have a proper release date after the announcment it was to get delayed. Probably figured it wouldn't make it out in time.

Or probably, it's just not that good. ;)

Blasphemy xD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

humanji wrote: »
    Is Gran Turismo 5 even out yet?

Its out on wednesday.

As for all the Mass Effect 2 hate, well story wise its just collect all the characters for the big final mission. Its a filler between 1 and 3. You have to really judge mass effect as the whole series in this regard. As a game it IS a improvement over the 1st in many ways. Its far more playable and replayable than the 1st.

It is fantastic though and does deserve a place on that list largely cause very little was better than it this year. I mean LOL at a halo game being on that list, no halo should ever make to such a list. I mean you wanna talk about populist voting there you have it.

Also anyone whos played Mass Effect properly, that is, as the female shepard :p Knows Jennifer Hale should win that award. But she probably wont cause people are idiots.

sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Is it my fault that as a male i like playing as a male? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Totally agree with you. Whatever kicks people get out of playing as female characters it sure as hell does nothing for me. Completely detaches me from the experience of the game.

As for the awards, its a hard call between Black Ops, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead. Loved them all so really couldn't pick just 1! Although if I had to predict it, I think ME2 might just edge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope, it [SMB Super Mario Bros and Super Meat Boy] was a homage.

You're sure it wasn't that if it's on Wii's virtual console it'd be right beside Super Mario Bros :D:D

Like Hybrid Theory renaming themselves Linkin Park so they could be right beside Limp Bizkit!

+1. I'm probably sexist though. Maybe it's from playing early Resi games but the females seem to have an easier ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

The important thing is, Super Meat Boy is a fantastic old-school game. Well worth the 800 points (goes up to 1200 on Sunday though).

Guys, these awards are worthless. They're one big advertisement. Would you catch the Academy Awards promoting trailers of big movies in the middle of the ceremony? There's no point getting angry over it really. And I liked most of the games mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Grayditch wrote: »
    Do you allow any room for subjectivity, or are you basing all this on some bizarre fact-based rating system that you've established? I'd love to hear it because I don't think your argument of "YOU can't say it's great, when a game that I like better set the benchmark for that year" cuts it at all.

You know, it's ok to say that you don't think Mass Effect 2 is good or even great, but when you try to bully your point across by questioning people's understanding of gaming for thinking ME2 was great, you come across as pretty pompous. I just thought I should let you know incase you didn't want to come across pompous.

Well, first of all, if you are not able to counter my actual argument, then you shouldn't attempt to create a fictional argument and attribute it to me, especially when you're attempting to mount the high-horse over my bullying of people with a point because it would make you hypocritical as well as desperate. Second, if you mount the high-horse, don't kick yourself off it. In the second paragraph, you're dictating what I can or cannot say, but simultaneously claim I'm bullying my point across.

Third, the statement(s) you are stamping your feet over is subjective. It is my subjective opinion that you should participate in another pastime; those statements are based upon my objective argument that Mass Effect 2 is an above-average game. So, you are having trouble with the simple matter of defining my posts, let alone responding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

35cj3mw.jpg

Wow. I'm not dictating what you can and can't say. I'm telling you that you can't say what you said and NOT sound pompous. Just so you know.

I literally just realised you're the guy from the Re-Merge thread who single handedly (or maybe you typed with both) re-defined pedantry. I'll do both of us a favour and avoid your posts in future.

Advertisement