Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband-how often are the dynamic ip's changed?

• 17-11-2010 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Just a quick question-i have eircom home broadband with a dynamic ip address-how often are these changed once i turn on the router-like once every 12 hours or once every 24 hours-does anybody know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It will change at least every time you power cycle, and I believe every night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It will release and renew every 24 hours if your connection is working as it should be. Other reasons it would change are:

- Powercycle
    - Loss of DSL
    - Loss of Internet
    - Disruption to point of disconnection to sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

nudist wrote: »
    Just a quick question-i have eircom home broadband with a dynamic ip address-how often are these changed once i turn on the router-like once every 12 hours or once every 24 hours-does anybody know?

I am on non-NGB and the IP address only changes when a new connection between modem and DSLAM is established (for whatever reason).
    I have the same IP address since 23.10. now.

But it really does not make any difference, it still is a dynamic IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I have eircom but all my IP's are static

192.168.*.* Laptop
    192.168.*.* Xbox
    192.168.*.* Computer/Server
    192.168.*.* Nintendo DS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

192.168.*.* Laptop
    192.168.*.* Xbox
    192.168.*.* Nintendo DS

These are IP addresses on a private home network. You public IP (Eircom) address is the one that people are talking about here that changes.

This will usually be dynamic for residential accounts and static for businesses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

192.168.*.* Laptop
    192.168.*.* Xbox
    192.168.*.* Nintendo DS

Thats because they are on your LAN,
    Your routers external IP is eircom's IP and is dynamic ;)

You just blocked out your IP's for no reason, you can post them on the net all you want it doesn't matter :)

Advertisement