Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband Crashing - Wexford

• 17-11-2010 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

For around 4 weeks now my Vodafone at Home broadband has being crashing. Now it's happening every 15 minutes or so. I rang Vodafone to report it. I won't go in to the ins and outs of their attempts to resolve the situation 'cos this will crash on me shortly.

Suffice to say that they assure me that the line is fine and a broadband engineer will call out 'soon' to look at things. However, if he has to cross the door, it will cost me €100 and €50 for every half hour after that. I've being trying to borrow a modem from somebody to try it on my system, as I think that's where the fault lies.

Lo and behold, I was speaking to a friend today who lives 5 miles away who has the exact same modem as me and is on the same tarriff with Vodafone. Guess what, their broadband is doing the same as mine, though not as frequently.

I'm lost at discussing or arguing technical stuff with Vodafone but has anyone any idea where the fault might be? It seems to crash more often on large volume websites (such as Boards)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

oldyouth wrote: »
    For around 4 weeks now my Vodafone at Home broadband has being crashing.

What do you mean by "crashing"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Losing signal, cutting out, internet light going off on the modem, connection timed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've heard of this happening in Enniscorthy from a friend of mine. Internet light is out for the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jockser123

I'm in Offaly and having the same problem. I'm connected and all is working well and then all of a sudden I can't connect to any web site. On my router there are only 2 lights on when normally there is 4 when it is working properly and then there is 3 lights on and then maybe 4 or 5 minutes later it is back working again with all 4 lights on. This cycle is going on for the past 10 hours or so. I can go to a web site and am connected for 2 or 3 minutes and then it is down for about 5 minutes. It seems to be worse now than what it was when it first started. I'm with vodafone as well.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

I was getting something like this for months straight after my BT account was moved over to Vodafone. The net would cut out every so often for a few minutes then come back on at least once a day. The odd thing was that I could always seem to trigger it by visiting Ebay!

Anyway, I was fiddling with my router one day (Netgear DG834g) and noticed that there was a firmware update available. Took the plunge and updated it, and the problem went away immediately.

So you may want to check if your own router has any updates for it. You never know, it might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Vodafone have to be the worst broadband provider to deal with. I was sold a package under the pretense of getting the 7mb broadband that Eircom were supplying me but it turns out they can only give me 3MB until my exchange is upgraded. The broadband is unusable in the evenings, but this is down to congestion and there is nothing Vodafone suppofrt can do about that.

To make thins worse I got my bill the other day and they have charged me 19.99 for a modem which I was told would be free of charge. Do you think I could talk to someone about getting charged for the modem? No chance, had to email them and all I've heard back from them was an automatic response to my email.

To sum Vodafone up I would say they are dirty, snakey, hard to contact, and not providing the services which they sell and advertise. Can add thieves to that seeing as they are trying to take the 19.99 from me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Since having by BT router / modem changed for a Vodafone modem router, it clicks off all the time. Sometimes it only lasts for 2 mins sometimes it lasts for 2 hours. Then it keeps clicking off and eventuall it goes dead. I have to unplug the power and leave for 5 mins.
    Vodafone say it a power surge from the monitored (connected to phone) alarm I have. The guy from the alarm company says its not (and I trust him). I've had the alarm working with my BT router for 5 years and never had a problem.

Several people have told me its the Vodafone router modem that is a fault and to get a new router / modem. Does that sound right? Any views?

Update, now that I am back online. After suggesting (many times) to Vodafone that I thought the modem might be the problem, I struck a deal with them. If they sent out a new modem, free of charge, I would extend my contract for 12 months if it worked. Happy to say I am back using the interweb super high road as God had intended.

I reckon approx 10 different 'techies' at Vodafone gave me as many different theories as to the problem before it dawned on them that a bit of kit was broken and caused the situation. Nice people to talk to but as thick as sh1t at the end of the day. Still, they're earning a living and that is important today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

oldyouth wrote: »
    Update, now that I am back online. After suggesting (many times) to Vodafone that I thought the modem might be the problem, I struck a deal with them. If they sent out a new modem, free of charge, I would extend my contract for 12 months if it worked. Happy to say I am back using the interweb super high road as God had intended.

Make sure to check your bill, I got charged for my 'free' modem this month. I brought it to Vodafones attention a week before the direct debit was due. They ignored my emails and when I called they told me to email. The day the direct debit came out I called them and, the girl I spoke with instantly refunded the modem fee to my account. Seems strange that nobody else could amend this before the direct debit was processed but as soon as they had my money they cancelled the modem fee. Meaning that they have my money sitting in their account now.

Rackstar wrote: »
    Make sure to check your bill, I got charged for my 'free' modem this month. I brought it to Vodafones attention a week before the direct debit was due. They ignored my emails and when I called they told me to email. The day the direct debit came out I called them and, the girl I spoke with instantly refunded the modem fee to my account. Seems strange that nobody else could amend this before the direct debit was processed but as soon as they had my money they cancelled the modem fee. Meaning that they have my money sitting in their account now.
    Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
Advertisement