Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banned in Ireland

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    (sometimes)

Which is why the label/leaflet warns about this.

does it list all the possible interactions? I think its a complicated issue that cant be addressed with a simple label warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Hardly a reason for banning restricting it though

All medicines can cause side effects regardless of whether theyre perscription or OTC

Even food is capable of causing side effects (more commonly known as allergies) at recommended doses.

Should we have to pay €50-80 to a doctor everytime we want something to eat ?

I wasn't actually referring to St John's Wort here, I was responding to the poster who said that all vitamins, herbal medicines and nutritional supplements are being banned by the EU so that we can all take "chemically synthesised drugs with sh1t side-effects". I felt this implied that vitamins, herbal meds etc did not cause side effects...which is untrue.

The fact is these things aren't being banned. As far as I know, these products are now being regulated so that they can demonstrate quality, safety and efficacy. If products cannot demonstrate this, they will not be market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Yes, if you could tell yourself it was special effects you'd be over it by now,

point proven

point not proven. another silly post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

does it list all the possible interactions? I think its a complicated issue that cant be addressed with a simple label warning.

"This product can interact dangerously with or reduce the effectiveness of some perscription medications and hormonal contraceptives, Please consult your doctor before taking this product if you are currently on any of these" (or words to that effect) should cover it ?
    aDeener wrote: »
    by any chance are you originally from cavan? :rolleyes:

By any chance are you looking to go to Cuba or do you confine your hijacking to internet threads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Free trade with Europe !!

Why do we have VRT. Bast*rds protecting Bill C*llens livelyhood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

They're not a corporation :rolleyes:
    They'll do what the big corporations want them to do. Like telling poor farmers in undeveloped nations to grow this crop and this crop only, to export to the States, for measly wages. You seriously think they are setting out these rules for the good of the world? It's to keep the big pharmaceutical, chemical, and agri-businesses happy and profiting.
    The FDA are just like the WHO, who raked in billions for pharmaceuticals through swine-flu vaccines. 'Swine flu' killed 18,000 people worldwide, approx. 4% of the annual 250,000-500,000 killed worldwide by seasonal flu.
    The FDA operate through scare-mongering, saying the herbal health and food supplement industry is unregulated and therefore dangerous, that despite the fact that dietary supplements are far safer than table salt, aspirin, vaccines and many FDA-approved drugs.
    Year after year, surveys conducted by poison control centers show dietary supplements to be the safest products of all.
    Yet the FDA, through the codex, wants to enforce:

Steep laws governing food and nutritional supplements
    Laws governing our rights to grow organic seeds
    Laws governing our rights to buy organic produce
    An increase on tight FDA rules on food and supplements.

See info on this from the Irish Institute For Nutrition and Health.

http://www.iinh.net/save_our_supplements_sos_campaign.htm

Hey look, this is a quote. :rolleyes:
    So it is. Annoying though, and pedantic.

"Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behavior."
    In other words, Sabrina the teenage witch ain't welcome here.

penguin88 wrote: »
    I wasn't actually referring to St John's Wort here, I was responding to the poster who said that all vitamins, herbal medicines and nutritional supplements are being banned by the EU so that we can all take "chemically synthesised drugs with sh1t side-effects". I felt this implied that vitamins, herbal meds etc did not cause side effects...which is untrue.

The fact is these things aren't being banned. As far as I know, these products are now being regulated so that they can demonstrate quality, safety and efficacy. If products cannot demonstrate this, they will not be market.
    They were banned. More bans are on the way. Don't take my word for it, check out http://www.iinh.net/save_our_supplements_sos_campaign.htm
    I have no problem with regulation. Some vitamins and supplements can have side effects, but mostly if used in excess or not taken properly.
    'Year after year, surveys conducted by poison control centers show dietary supplements to be the safest products of all.'

But enough already. I'm just repeating myself.
    I'm not on some campaign here. I just don't like being told by the American Food and Drug Agency what I can or can't use here in Ireland. I'm sure we have our own experts who can decide on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Johro wrote: »
    They were banned. More bans are on the way. Don't take my word for it, check out http://www.iinh.net/save_our_supplements_sos_campaign.htm
    I have no problem with regulation. Some vitamins and supplements can have side effects, but mostly if used in excess or not taken properly.
    'Year after year, surveys conducted by poison control centers show dietary supplements to be the safest products of all.'

But enough already. I'm just repeating myself.
    I'm not on some campaign here. I just don't like being told by the American Food and Drug Agency what I can or can't use here in Ireland. I'm sure we have our own experts who can decide on the issue.

Wait, they were banned?! Better call the gardaí, I saw vitamins, herbal medicines and dietary supplements all on sale in a pharmacy today...care to comment?

Also, the FDA does not have any decision making power here in Ireland, so they can't tell you what to do/not to do. Some of the things you are posting are a bit ridiculous.

Wait, they were banned?! Better call the gardaí, I saw vitamins, herbal medicines and dietary supplements all on sale in a pharmacy today...care to comment?

Also, the FDA does not have any decision making power here in Ireland, so they can't tell you what to do/not to do. Some of the things you are posting are a bit ridiculous.
    :rolleyes: Obviously a lot of supplements aren't banned. Yet. What I'm saying, and I'm only repeating what's said by the Irish Institute of Health and Nutrition, among others, is that apart from the items already banned from sale in Ireland, there is a process going on that's instigated by the FDA which wants to see them banned from sale worldwide.
    That, according to them, is what the codex is all about. I have quoted sources, in case you didn't notice.
    If you only took the trouble to read the links. I've already said don't take my word for it.

Also, the FDA does not have any decision making power here in Ireland, so they can't tell you what to do/not to do.
    That's naive. The FDA tell the world what their policy on food and drugs should be.

'A commission sponsored by the United Nations and the World Health Organization, and supported by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration wants to BAN all current over the counter sales of herbs, vitamins, amino acids, minerals, and all other supplements.

In the feature article that follows, Jackie Buchanan, long time medical researcher and writer, introduces us to the Codex Alimentarius Commission, and the orchestrated effort being made by pharmaceutical companies to control the manufacture, distribution and sale of all natural food supplements - world-wide.

Using the "sacred cow" known as public safety, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will adopt Codex Alimentarius into federal law (without a single vote for or against it in Congress)'
    etc. etc. etc.

But no, it's just me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I'm banned from the boards politics thread for telling one of the mods there was "a lot of waffling going on in here"
    Banned for a month!
    No free speech in there.
    Bertie could stand up in the dail one day and call the opposition that they were "wafflers" and no suspension for him :p

You seriously believe it's only if you take too much of a herbal medicines that's causes problems? Herbal medicines are capable of causing side effects at recommended doses.

I was more looking for an official source that gave the specifics of this "ban" on "All Vitamins, Herbal Remedies and Nutritional supplements", not just someone's blog post.
    Yes, herbal medicines are capable of producing side effects. No, I don't think it only happens if you take too much. Sigh..
    Somebody's blog post?
    There were a few more links than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement