Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woeful ESB Halo Service

Options
  • 17-11-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I came across this service at the Ideal Homes Exhibition. And have since seen it heavily advertised. I thought it was a great idea after talking to the rep at their impressive stand at the show.
    My appointment was set to have my free appointment, but there was a carrot in it for them, as we are seriously looking at attic and wall insulation. I am one of a block of apartments.
    I am suspicious that by signing up, my name on a list has been sold on, as I have received a number of calls from private companies and that was before I got my appointment.
    When the engineer showed up, he implied on leaving the car park that this was a waste of time, they are not interested in looking at apartments. The rep at the show mis sold, bla blah. Came into my home to make calls to his manager to explain that this was a waste of time.
    I had written it down to bad experience but what has made me vent online.
    My parents (at my suggestion) also availed of the appointment. They have a house. It has been cancelled twice before and again this evening.

Anyone considering of availing of this service. DO NOT BOTHER.
    ESB is completely mis-selling this service, the reality is I am afraid disgruntled Employees not even bothering to roll out a service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You get what you pay for . Or vice versa .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

In fairness, I have been contacted by ESB to deal with my and my parents unsatisfactory experience. But I will respectfully decline as enough time has been spent awaiting all appointments.
    I hope others do not share the same experience but rather, get the service, as advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Daffs,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with our HALO service.

We have our own Talk to ESB section here on Boards and if you would like me to look into this matter I would be happy to do so.

I appreciate your concern over providing personal information. I can look into this matter for you. Also, I can find out why your parents have had their appointment cancelled and I will get confirmation of when a HALO engineer will visit the property.

I sent you a PM, and if you could reply with your contact details, we will look into this matter.

It is really important to us to find out why you had a disappointing experience. We are really excited about this new service, and we are commited to providing a quality HALO service to all our customers.

If you have any other questions or issues, please don't hesitate to contact myself or David here at www.boards.ie/esb

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

sinnerboy wrote: »
    You get what you pay for . Or vice versa .
    You sure do!
    I had a halo "engineer" audit my mother's house. The survey took 18 minutes from start to finish. He mistook her conventional oil boiler for a condensing boiler! He didn't recommend any improvements even though only 4" fiber in attic and boiler control is a switch.
    I'm pretty sure this "engineer" wasn't being paid a huge amount for the survey but that's not the point - it aught to be done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Moved from Construction & Plannings BER forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Lyndan

Have to say that my experience of Halo energy is a good bit different from the other posters. We'd an energy audit done last year which was useful (and free!!).

Got a call a few weeks ago from them asking if I wanted some body to quote me for work no obligation- agreed to an appointment and had a very conscientious guy out the other day- he spent about 20mins taking us through our options and explaining how we could the government grants. He ball parked some figures and took some measurements for what we wanted to do before he left. He sent us on the quote a few days later. Looking to get other quotes now and will then decide who'll we go with for the work but Halo Energy seem to have their ducks in a row at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Hi Daffs re your reply
    In fairness, I have been contacted by ESB to deal with my and my parents unsatisfactory experience. But I will respectfully decline as enough time has been spent awaiting all appointments.
    I hope others do not share the same experience but rather, get the service, as advertised

In fairness to the ESB bloke he offered to check it out for you, would it not be better to give 'em the chance to look into it otherwise people will think your trolling or what ever, plus I will bet you'll get very good service this time around .
    Is it fair to throw mud at any company particularly on a public forum but then refused to engage with them, now remember they may well be as bad as you say but thats all the more reason to then call them out if yur experience is bad a second time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Have to say we had a completely different experience.. Booked the survey and engineer arrived when scheduled.. I thought he throughly surveyed the house.. spend nearly an hour.. went into the attic..

Basically relayed everything we were planning on doing to the house..

All in all seemed good and no calls after trying to sell anything.. For a free service you cant complain really can you??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'm another who thought the survey was very thorough and excellent. He spent about 45 minutes looking around the house, the went through all options and the grants available for improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These are all just contractors doing the work on behalf of esb afaik. So if you have a problem with one, you should let them know so they can stop using them as checkers, otherwise they will be getting paid the same as the ones who are doing a decent job

• Advertisement

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    Hi Daffs re your reply

In fairness to the ESB bloke he offered to check it out for you, would it not be better to give 'em the chance to look into it otherwise people will think your trolling or what ever, plus I will bet you'll get very good service this time around .
    Is it fair to throw mud at any company particularly on a public forum but then refused to engage with them, now remember they may well be as bad as you say but thats all the more reason to then call them out if yur experience is bad a second time

Hi Catalpa1
    In order to be fair to the ESB and the fact that I vented on a public forum is precisely the reason I also stated in public that they have come back to me.
    I am very entitled to air my compliant on this public forum and decide to afford more time to them. Clearly my time was not valued and the level of service inadequate, when my parents time at their appointment time was also not valued, was what spurred me into action to vent. Since writing & starting this thread, their appointment, due for last Saturday (to make up for previous upset) was again cancelled this time from the call centre rather than the engineer directly...Enough said.

Daffs wrote: »
    Since writing & starting this thread, their appointment, due for last Saturday (to make up for previous upset) was again cancelled this time from the call centre.....
    We are really excited about this new service, and we are commited to providing a quality HALO service to all our customers.

Hardly what you would call a quality service, Chris?

Hi Poor Uncle Tom,

This is certainly not the quality service that we aim to provide.

We would like to acknowledge this experience and investigate it further to find out why this happened. However, to investigate this matter, we will need additional information from the customer.

Many thanks
    Chris

Thank you, please let us know when the issue is resolved.

I am suspicious that by signing up, my name on a list has been sold on, as I have received a number of calls from private companies and that was before I got my appointment.

Hi Daffs,

Just to clarify a point you made in your initial post, which I should have responded to in my first reply - we would not sell your information to a third party. I am sorry to hear that you received unsolicited calls from other companies, but they did not receive your contact information from us.

Many thanks
    Chris

Hi Chris, My parents who appear to have a lot more patience that myself - rearranged another appointment which again got cancelled!! My Father has lost interest but my mother wishes to contact the customer services again, although annoyed, to find out what is happening! I have suggested you deal with this from here..I have sent you their details by PM

Hi Daffs,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have received your PM and I will arrange for somebody from our HALO team to contact your Mother.

Many thanks
    Chris

Hi Daffs

I understand that somebody from our Halo has been in contact with your mother and a new appointment has been made.

It seems that this was one of those rare jobs where from our end everything that could go wrong did. I can only apologise for any inconvenience that has been caused and I hope you and your family will be happy with the end result.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Has anyone had a good experience of the Halo service?

BostonB wrote: »
    Has anyone had a good experience of the Halo service?

See posts 7, 9 and 10 on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

i got a great report from them last year, and alot of my neighbours did too we thought it was really beneficial certainly gave me info on my insulation or lack thereof!

Advertisement